“Relaxing break at Castaway Island” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Castaway Island Fiji

Save Saved
You added Castaway Island Fiji to your Saves list
Castaway Island Fiji
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Castaway Island | Mamanuca Island group, Fiji Islands, 1111, Fiji   |
Hotel deals
Australia
“Relaxing break at Castaway Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2008

We have recently returned from a short break in Fiji.

We stayed 3 nights on Castaway Island. The staff were extremely friendly (except Emily on front desk). It is a great island for families as the children are welcomed and looked after so well. The food was sensational and well worth buying the meal plan, The airconditioning in the bures was essential as it gets really hot during the day so it was great to be able to go back to the bure and cool off. Overall we loved the island and would return again! If you can its a really good idea to get out to the islands as it does show a different side of Fiji than just staying in a resort at Denarau Island. Louisa on the Coral Seas catamaran that takes you out to Castaway is just lovely.

We also stayed 4 nights at Sheraton Villas which we found to be excellent especially with a 7mth old as there was plenty of room, a washing machine and microwave and in house movies (a must for the post-cyclone rainy days!) We ate one night at the Radisson restaurant which I would recommend - staff couldnt do more for you, the setting is lovely and food good.

• Liked — Location, great food, cleanliness, friendly staff
  • Disliked — No issues
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

547 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

We were in "Castaway island" , 23rd Jan ... We spent 4 nights there, staying on the North beach, in a beach front bure, No.13!..

The island is quite large, however the resort area is small, no bure is too far from the restaurant or pool area.. The bures are
quite roomy, as we were travelling with our 2 children aged 13 and 11, and found there was plenty of room in the bure for all of us. The bures are serviced and cleaned daily and are all airconditioned..

There are large hammoks that lay in front of the bures, enough for all the bures I believe... 1 hammok between 2 bures, and enough beach chairs for all the patrons staying at the resort..

The 1st day we arrived we were placed in a bure on the south side, beach bure No 35, It is a bure that we paid beach bure price for however we were behind 2 other beach bures, so part of our view was the other more forward beach bures roofs..
I dont see how they should all cost the same, as these forward beach bures have the uninterrupted beach views, where as bure 35, had the forward beach bures roof views before the ocean.. Mmmmm??? a little annoying I thought??... I went to the reception and mentioned my views on this matter and they were quite blase at first saying oh but they're all beach bures, and tried to tell me they are all the same..., I said but some are in better positions than others so they should be charging less for the ones that sit behind..
There were no more available bures on the south side, so they moved us the North side, to beach bure 13...

I found on the North side, there was a better beach, the beach bures were all the same category as far as where they were situated... The south beach was quieter, if privacy is what youre after definetaly the south beach, there are however many large rocks all piled up as retaining walls on the south beach, which look quite messy, and dangerous if you have young children..
I would suggest if you wanted to stay on the south side to request either one of the following bures if beach bure is what youre after, 33,37,43,45,47, 53...They are all proper beach bures, and they sit a little more forward than other beach bures on that side.. So why not get the best for your money?

The food was very good and plentiful.. We tried the gourmet pizza one day for lunch, and they were delicious and made fresh in the wood oven on the spot in front of us...

The resort shop had some very lovely sarongs in it, however they were extremely expensive.. I found the souvenirs in this resort shop appeared to be double in price compared to the mainland souvenir shops.. I suggest if youre planning on purchasing souvenirs to purchase on the mainland, the airport shops were cheaper too..

The Cocktails were definetaly of the best I have had in a long time... A little too pricey, but hey ?.. Its not every day we go on holidays like this, so they were worth it!

The resort is lovely, with a relaxed, tranquil and cosy atmosphere to it !

• Liked — Spacious bures
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2008

My husband and I and our 5 year old daughter spent 13 wonderful nights at Castaway over Christmas and New Year. In short, we chose this resort because of the rave reviews and the fact that it seemed to be a good "family" resort. We were not disappointed.

Kids club - Our daughter loved the kids club and although she did not go during the days much (except when it rained as it was more interesting than being with us obviously!!) she did go most evenings after the kids meals for a couple of hours and loved it. The staff get the kids involved and they have a ball - basket weaving, dancing, catching crabs, beach walks etc. Can't fault it and the staff were great, especially Kima.

Babysitting - we used the the baby sitting service twice whilst we were there and had the same lady ' Ana". She was an absolute delight and my daughter loved her. Although the rate is FD$5 per hour, we gave her more than this as I am sure they do not get paid that well.

Rooms - We were in an island bure, but could see the ocean from our front door. The rooms are ample big enough, cleaned daily by wonderful girls and have everything you need. The rooms are not five star, but you are rarely in them anyway.

Restaurant - Although my husband was unwell for a few days, we thought the food was great, although when you are there for more than a week (which we were) it could become same old same old. But to be honest, it didn't bother us. There were plenty of theme nights / buffets; the buffet spread on New Years Eve was far better than the one on Christmas Day, but having said that, it was all good. The staff are all too willing to help you if you can't find what you are looking for. Breakfasts also good and plenty of food for everyone.

Resort - Great beach, cleaned when needed, and very calm, ideal for the little ones. Pool was good with a shallow end for the little ones. I am trying to think of something to complain about but can't. Oh, yes, my only critisism, and its not the hotel's fault, but like a previous reviewer has mentioned, some people feel the need to reserve their sun beds on the beach at some ungodly hour of the morning and then hardly sit on them throughout the day - just selfish and totally unnecessary. But thats the mentally of some people and we only found this a problem towards the end of our holiday with a new influx of people.

General - had a great 'relaxing' family holiday and met some new friends who are planning on meeting up again this year at the resort - we hope we will be able to join them. Came back fully relaxed. Finally, although this is definitely a family resort with lots of kids, we never found the kids to be in your face and on the whole, most were well behavoured and had a ball.

• Liked — Everything, especially the beach.
  • Disliked — Not enough sunbeds!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Acton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

We've travelled extensively and I have to say this is what we'd always looked for in terms of paradise. The resort is pretty small and exclusive, with beautifully appointed bures that blend into the palm trees and undergrowth. The restaurant was good and the menu varied each day, which makes a nice change from some places we've stayed. The beach was clean, the water clear, and overall we found this place truly relaxing. It's very family oriented, although not in your face - if you're a couple then you'll also find peace and quiet here, as the beaches were pretty quiet. The only small criticism I would have was that in the restaurant you could wait some time before being served with drinks.

• 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2008

My family and I returned home from spending 10 beautiful days on Castaway Island on the 18th Dec. We had such a fantastic holiday . Our 2 children, aged 8 and 11 years tried everything they could get their hands on, from the banana boat ride to parasailing ,dragging their dad and I on with them. The rest of the time they would be swimming in the crystal clear water or playing beach sports with the staff ,and everybody else they could convince to play with them.
I have to say the staff were amazing.The kids club, I would recommend to anyone planning a holiday to Castaway.The kids would even eat dinner with the other kids then go to kids club to play games etc, allowing my husband and I a chance to have dinner together which is very rare these days.
The bures are clean and comfortable and have airconditioning for the really hot days.They are not 5 star but I would definately rate my holiday as 5 star.If you are planning a trip to Castaway I would do the 3 island hop tour. It was one of the highlightsof our stay, fast boat ,see different islands we were lucky enough to see a huge pod of dolphins and had fantastic snorkelling.We had great company, and top it all off, a champagne and lobster lunch.As far as the bure's go I would definately stay on the beach side.We had bure no 15. It was on the beachfront, up the end so you still had some privacy, but really, any on this side are great.From memory ,they were the odd numbers like 13, 11, etc.
The other thing I would do is the meal plan, it was fantastic value for money.Overall our holiday was that good that I am planning to go back at the end of this year.

• Liked — beachfront
  • Disliked — could do with some updating
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Edmonton, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2008

Castaway is a beautiful resort and when we arrived we were very impressed by the welcome party on the beach and very friendly staff. There are no safes in the room for your valuables so you will have to store them at the reception desk. We were at the resort for about an hour and we went to restaurant to eat, leaving our wallet in one of the bags in our room. After we returned from lunch, we went to go put our wallet in the safety deposit and all of our money had been taken. When talking to the hotel manager, he refused to believe us, insisting we must have lost it somewhere else. Then they did a very detailed search of our room and luggage. They also said no one had access to our room and over the next 5 days of our stay different people were always entering our room for different reasons (housekeeping, watering plants ect.). On the last day of our trip, we followed up with the hotel manager to see if any information was found. It was very obvious he did not believe us and we were treated quite rude. This resort is very beautiful, but be very carfeful of your valuables and money as the staff cannot be trusted and will be very rude and inconsiderate to you if there is theft incident.

• Liked — Beautiful location
  • Disliked — Lack of security in Bures
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

We spent 10 wonderful nights at Cataway this past Christmas. The diving was amazing and the dive crew was one of the best I have ever dove with. Everyone was so nice, Thank you Waz, Elle, Navi, Jerry, Illi and the whole crew. We had a fablous time and will be back. The island was absolutly beautiful, and the staff very friendly. Yes things happen a little slow, but you are on a barefoot island and time is of no matter. Our Bure was wonderful, number 51. It was always clean and cool. There was plenty of room for our family of four. The food was mainly good. Breakfast and Lunch were great, and sometimes dinner we opted for the pizza instead of curry night or the main menu. But overall there was plenty of good stuff to eat. We did the meal plan what is the way to go I think. It's a long trip from Seattle, but was well worth it. We would go back in a minute.

• Liked — Beach front...Air conditioning
  • Disliked — a few bugs
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Castaway Island Fiji? Share your experiences!