We had a family holiday for 6 nights on Castaway in September and left the island with many happy memories. I try and wait a few weeks before writing a review to put things in perspective and give a more balanced opinion. As far as family holiday destinations go, Castaway would be among the best there is in Fiji. We stayed in a beach bure on the south beach and just loved that the kids could play on the beach just a few steps from our front door. The south beach has a retaining wall to combat erosion problems so to access the water proper they have put in steps to make it easier. I still found the South beach more to my liking as it was more private with all the activities centred around the North beach and our bure (59) was as far as you could get from the reception area. The resort itself is set out such that we didn't have any have to walk more than 5 minutes to get to the pool or reception. The interior of the bure was as we expected, neat and spacious enough for our family of four. The breeze on the south beach meant we never had to use the air conditioning although we did use the fans when it got too windy to leave the louvers open at night.
The other things we liked:
1. The staff
2. Did I mention the staff?
3. Access to two beaches if one side was too windy
4. Smaller resort size = more intimate experience and no hassles getting equipment,
5. The food, especially the a la carte menu and the fresh fruit.
6. The kids club. Our two loved it and we loved the early kids dinner times which meant the grown ups could have dinner by ourselves......bliss, just bliss.
7. Lots of activities to keep everyone occupied if you were so inclined. Day trips to Mondriki island were well patronised as were the outer reef snorkelling trips.
8. Island store well stocked for emergency items.....like Cadbury chocolate!
We've had a few island holidays before so understand that being on an island means sacrificing some conveniences like supermarkets. Travelling with small children means a bit of extra preparation but on Castaway with the meal plan we found we didn't need to stock up on the snack things as much. Our one gripe would be that they need a second pool so the adults can enjoy it a bit more. I have two kids so doesn't worry me too much but if I were childless then I'd probably avoid the pool. Actually, Castaway isn't the best destination for a romantic getaway as there are places that cater for that much better. For families, its one of the best places to visit, especially while the kids are still little and get some value out of the kids club. Having stayed at Mana before, I can say confidently that Castaway is a better experience overall and you do get what you pay for in this instance. To (mis)quote Arnie.....We'll be back!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Castaway Island, Fiji provides a unique South Pacific experience - a great place to relax, unwind and enjoy life's simple pleasures. Fiji's most popular island resort has guests returning year after year to experience the magic that is "Castaway". The island's 174 acres are covered with lush tropical vegetation, and surrounded by white sand beaches and vibrant coral reefs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz and Despegar.com so you can book your Castaway Island Fiji reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castaway Island Fiji Hotel Qalito Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Qalito
- Castaway Island Resort
- Fiji Castaway Resort
- Castaway Fiji Hotel Island
- Castaway Island Fiji Castaway Island (Qalito)