“A slice of paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Navini Island Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Navini Island
Navini Island Resort
You added Navini Island Resort to your Saves list
Navini Island | Western Division, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Navini Island
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“A slice of paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed at Navini resort for three nights for his birthday. We picked this particular resort based on the excellent reviews from Trip Advisor. To be honest, i was really sceptical with the reviews I read cos they just seem too good.

Booking was made online and the reservation team was very, very helpful and easy to deal, plus they were very quick to reply all the emails I sent.

Our flight arrived in Nadi quite late at might but Henry was already there ro pick us up with a big smile and friendly hand shake, then the boat teip to the hotel took almost an hour due to the weather condition. Other than that, it was very smooth transfer.

We were able to check in very quickly without the hassle of filing out the paperwork (we were very exhausted from almost 24 hours flight). As the restaurant was already closed for the day, they offered sandwich for us for the midnight snacks, if course we couldnt refuse!!

Our first breakfast at the resort, ALL the staff knew our names and came introducing themselves. Wow I must say that's the first time ever a restaurant server said 'good morning Sabrina, I hope you had a good sleep laat night'. Very impressive.

As you might be aware, meal times are group time. However if you don't feel up for it, you could also get the meals delivered to your room or have a candle light dinner. I planned a candle light dinner formy husband and i was surprised when the desseet came with q candle and the staff san happy birthday. Again, I was very impressed.

The food at the restaurant was good, however I didn't find it very special. Wouldlove to see more of the traditional Fijian food and options for dessert.

They provide really good selection for activities, including half day trip to the neighbouring islands and villages free of charge. Water sport including snorkeling, kayaking, sailing, sea cycling. On afternoons theyvhave volley ball which was very popular and Vidi Vidi board game accompanied by Kava which wasn't very popular.

The beach was very nice at some part of the island with white sandy beach. Please note that the sand is not fine sandy beach, it's a bit rough so if you plan to do lots of walking, it might be a good idea to have a pair of reef shoes. The beach at the other side of the island is kinda rocky and very, very slippery. Very not adviseable to snorkel/kayak around this area (just outside of bure 1-4).
The water was beautiful, warm and vvery refreshing. Unfortunately, when we were there there was lots of sea lice and we got itchy all over.
Also, I don't find snorkeling very interesting but it might be because I've seen better snorkeling site at Great Barrier Reef and indonesia. There were a couple of colourful fish an we saw heaps of reef sharks and a baby manta ray. The corals closer to the beach mostly dead.

The bure cleaniness was excellent and the toiletries provided were good quality as well. There was no A/C but we slept with the qindow open and it was actually really good to wake up and hear the sound of the waves.

We would definitely go back if we get a chance in the future.

• Stayed November 2012

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed 4 nights on Navini island and leaving it was hard. We were picked up at the airport by Henry and took the boat to get on our Island after a short 30minute car ride. The boat trip lasted about the same. We were promptly shown to our 2 room bure (wanted a premium bure but they were sold out) and had to choose what we wanted for dinner.

The first night seemed a bit awkward, as most of the travellers seemed to know each others. I soon realised most were Aussies and as such, easily got along together. We were aware these were communal tables and this all works quite well thanks to the clientele (Aussies) as such model would be problematic back in our home country.

The good:
1/ The Island is fantastic, you can't fish so you get to see a great variety of sea life, bright blue starfish, black tip sharks and many little fishes around.
2/ The organised day trips, We went on honeymoon island, sandy Cay, beachomber island, treasure island and fishing!
3/ The guests - not much to do, so you have to have nice couples/families hanging around with you. We got along with most of them and were really pleased they came down to the beach to waive us goodbye when we left. Some of them were shy or probably not as communicative as others.
4/ The staff: Ana was very nice and warm! Loved the song she sang on Lovo night! Special thanks also, to the two nice women on the beach who took pity on the way I tied my sulu and helped me tie it properly... Had to untie the whole thing because of itchy mosquito bites...
5/ Food was very nice, especially fish and seafood dishes. My better half loved the Maple syrup on his pancakes! Bread was indeed, nice and warm. I loved the fact that we could ask for fresh coconut from the trees.
6/ Cocktails were fairly priced, though sometimes they had more or less alcohol! Most importantly, water from the tap is safe to drink (which matters to me as I drink plenty of it!!)

The not so good:
1/ Our bed was very very soft. Far softer than any other bed I've ever sleeped in and I normally like them softer... I did wonder how other guests dealt with this, because we weigh a combined 124 kilos !
2/ Sleep was also a bit of an issue with the hot climate and no AC. There was a fan above our heads, but some nights were very hot and turning it on led my mosquito bites to be itchier so it was a hard trade off!!
3/ Sea Lice was an issue for one of the guest but rashies were a solution. I only had 4 sea lice bites and they weren't as itchy as the mosquito bites. Constantly had Deet with me (it helped!) but forgot it here and there some times and that's when I got bitten. My better half was also bitten but was far less sensitive so all-in he was completely fine! The shop sells sunscreen with sea lice repellent and I reckon it helped.

All in, we had a wonderful stay and I highly recommend Navini Island. The staff is warm, the scenery is magnificent and we will certainly come back!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We have just returned from a second visit to Navini (see full review just over 1 year ago). I have to admit that we set off with a little trepidation ... firstly we do not normally return to the same place twice (there are so many new places still to visit!) plus we were lucky to have a good mix of guests last time and we worried that the experieince might not be as good with a different crowd. However, we were in need of R&R and Navini is difficult to beat for relaxation so we chanced booking again.

We needn't have worried ... we were welcomed back to the Island like a long lost friend and the staff remembered us from last year. Yes the mix of guests were different but once again we met some fun and interesting people, making meal times a pleasure.

I won't repeat any of the previous detail provided but will say that it all remains valid. There were a couple of new staff but many were the same and all delivered the exceptional welcome that has been mentioned many times on TripAdvisor. The best way I can explain the level of customer service is to give a real example. Whilst we were there a guy arrived with his foot in plaster (he had broken his heel in an accident on another island). Within 1.5 hours the boys on Navinin had measured him up and custom built timber crutches. In addition, every meal time they would take the 4 wheeled luggage truck to his Bure and transport him to the dining room. We called it the Navini Taxi !!

Other changes ... the reef appears to have caught a bit of damage in the bad weather Fiji experienced earlier in the year but there is still plenty to see as your snorkel around the Island. Ask Arthur the location of 'Nemo City' ... there must have been 16 or more Clown fish living around the same piece of coral.

We will visit again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was on Navini (which only has one hotel) in Feb 2012. The hotel bascially covers the entire island so there is no real privacy if the hotel is full. On top of that, meals are community style, which is ok but again no real privacy. The people are nice and there is not much to do but relax and enjoy the natural wonders of Fiji. The hotel offers a day trip each day for free, which is a nice option to have.

Room Tip: All rooms face the ocean so it is really just the side of the island or the size of the room that wo...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

As stated in many reviews, the staff on Navini Island are extremely friendly and endeavour to make your stay as enjoyable as possible. We experienced this from the minute that we arrived. Even though our trasfer arrived at Navini at 8am, the room had been serviced from the previous occupants who had departed early and was ready for us. This was greatly appreciated after an overnight flight.
Having stayed in two bures, one on each side of the island, I can see that both have their advantages depending on your requirements. Our 1st two nights were in bure 8 (a Premier bure). This opened out directly onto a gorgeous sandy beach, however on windy days, this side of the island was more exposed. The remaining 4 nights were spent in bure 4. This side of the island had the advantage of being protected from the wind and faced west so it was perfect to watch the sunset with a cocktail. These bures are larger in that the 2 beds are in separate rooms, but they are slightly elevated above the coast which was rocky rather than sandy at the time of our stay. If you don't have kids - stay on the east side........the outlook is superb and the one bedroom bures are less family friendly and hence quieter.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Ulladulla, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We just recently had a wonderful stay at Navini Island Resort. The staff greeted us with a smile and ‘bula’ from the moment we arrived and wherever we went around the island. We were welcomed with a tour of the main facilities on the island and a beautiful fresh fruit basket in our room. The staff went out of their way to accommodate us. If we had any questions or concerns all we had to do was ask and the staff would take care of it with a smile. The kitchen staff were great and really went out of their way to accommodate our dietary requirements/gluten sensitivity, even preparing special gluten free food for us and altering the food on the menu as we required it. Since we are used to 3 smaller meals a day we would have liked dessert as optional to be purchased separately if wanted as we found we were sometimes too full. However, the food was too delicious and fresh to be overly concerned about that. The two bedroom room we stayed in was well looked after and serviced promptly each morning. The bedding was clean and comfortable and the rooms are well designed to have good air flow, catching the wonderful afternoon breeze to cool things down. Navini is very flexible with their check out times. We were allowed to stay in our room until we had to leave in order to catch our flight. Had our room been needed by arriving guests we could have stored our luggage in a day room to maximize our stay on the island. The kitchen staff gave us an early lunch on the day of our departure as we had to leave before the scheduled lunch period. Navini offered some excellent complementary ½ day trips each morning to some of the many islands that surround it. We really enjoyed the Malolo Island village/school visit and the snorkeling trip near Honeymoon Island. Other trips offered while we were there, that we didn’t go on, were a trip to see some surf breaks, a trip to a sand cay to go swimming and snorkeling and one to Treasure Island for the morning. One of the great things about Navini was the complimentary boat trips as well as the complimentary use of their snorkeling equipment, spy boards, kayaks, catamarans, sea cycles, etc. They even gave our children a bucket each and let them pick out some beach toys to use during our stay. We really liked this option because we felt like we really got the most out of our experience, not having to worry about our bill adding up whenever we used any equipment. The snorkeling was great with many varieties of coral/fish. We also loved being able to watch the baby black tip reef sharks from the beach just in front of our bure. The friendliness of the staff, small number of bures/guests as well as the owners regularly joining in on meals and seeing the guests off all added up to giving Navini a warm, friendly, family atmosphere that made us longing to go back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I want to make a special mention of the following staff who were exceptional (I'm sorry if I have spelt the names wrong):
- Joe who took people on morning trips (we didn't go on any because none appealed to us and we were content to stay on the island) and played Vidi Vidi at nights
- Sikeli who manned the water sports equipment and happy to prepare coconuts for you to drink/eat
- Ana, Joka and Vaulina who provided beautiful smiling faces when they served you at every meal time.
- Ari who was always happy to have a chat
- Julie who was very welcoming

I personally wouldn't return because my appetite is not big enough to get any value out of the meal deals. For the price paid I would look elsewhere. IF this was my first trip to Fiji I may have given this place a 5 star rating but I have other places to compare it to and I'm afraid it falls short in my opinion.

I'll start with the bad.

* They have 2 meal options, a 2 meal/day or 3 meal/day. If you happen to arrive in time for dinner (as we did) on your first night and leave before breakfast on your last day (and have 3 meals/day in between) they will still charge you the 2 meal/day price even if you didn't eat 2 meals. Apparently if we had only eaten 2 meals on our last day (skipped breakfast or lunch), the resort could have bundled our arrival dinner with our last day meal option to make it a 3 meal/day deal. TIP:so you don't get CHEATED, just make a mental note to check that your meal options correspond with their deals.

* It's a resort so expect resort prices for everything. TIP:buy own drinks and snacks before hopping onto your transfers

* a welcoming fruit basket was waiting for us in our room upon arrival but it was covered in ants (not an appealing welcome) and housekeeping did not clean up the ant infested fruit basket until 2 days later. REALLY GROSS!

* Meals are communal which is a great chance to meet other people and there is a drum to signal it was time to meet in the mess hall. It felt like being at school camp. You can't have meals outside of the set times.

* meals are westernised and in my opinion do not reflect what Fijians eat. Heaps of food on offer so great value if you have a HUGE appetite

* Bed sheets were terrible. It felt like I was sleeping between potato sacks. Really rough/textured material. Not what I was expecting for 600FJ /nt

* a broom may have been nice so that sand could be swept from bure in between housekeeping

* amenities (what little there was) were not replenished. We were only supplied with 1 bottle of shampoo and conditioner on arrival and we had to ask for more during our stay. No sanitary bags or cotton buds etc

* be warned of falling coconuts as they give a bit of a fright during the night

*sea lice in the ocean around the island

The good:

* heaps of food on offer with a nice variety in the menu for every meal, every day. Food was well prepared and very delicious and westernised.

*staff were always friendly and knew everyone by name, a wonderful personal touch

* heaps of water sport equipment available, never crowded on the beach or anywhere for that matter

* good snorkelling with lots of fish species but non existent soft/hard corral

* morning trips a wonderful option

Room Tip: * southside rooms had the beach (keep in mind that the sands shift) * bring own drinks and snacks i...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Navini, Owner at Navini Island Resort, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Thank you for your special mention of good service received from Navini staff as noted, but we regret that in some other respects, Navini did not meet your expectations.
We have two meal price options, and our staff do charge only for meals attended. If having only one meal outside the 2 or 3 meal package price, then a one meal charge only is added. We do not charge for any meals not utilised.
Being an Island Resort, extra costs are incurred in bringing out drinks and supplies, however we do keep prices as reasonable as possible, and your comments on costs in this regard are surprising, as we do receive many comments from guests as to how reasonable our prices are.
Our linen sheeting is imported and we did receive a batch which although on arrival was satisfactory, with use it acquired a course feel. We started replacing this sheeting last month (Sept.) and the replacement will be completed by the end of this week.
A broom is in each bure for the purpose you mentioned; we have made note to make sure that we point out the location of the broom when introducing guests to their bures.
Amenities including soap, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, sanitary bags are normally replaced each morning when the bures are serviced. Sorry if removing the fruit basket was missed.
We are glad that you enjoyed the food, snorkelling and personal attention of the Navini staff.

Been to Navini Island Resort? Share your experiences!