“Fabulous trip” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Matamanoa Mamanuca Group, Fiji   |
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We spent our summer holiday at Matamanoa Island for a total of 14 nights. Upon arriving I was worried there woudln't be enoguh to do for this period but we loved it. The beach is so divine, turquoise clean water and amazing snorkelling. Bure's are well sized though I would caution people opting for the hotel rooms as they really are very small. The food was great at dinner, however lunch was at times a bit hit and miss.

My husband went fishing 4 times and caught massive tuna which the chef then cooked up for us for lunches, which was sensational. We met many fabulous people, visisted nearby islands, snorkelled and partcipated in many of the activities provided by the island, all of which provided us with a happy and easy trip. The staff were warm and friendly but if you go there thinking they function at the same high-paced rate as we do in the city, forget it, it doesn't work that way and you might get frustrated. Food standards were ok, not great, so you do need to go with an open mind to manage this, however, we did have some very nice meals.

Overall we had a wonderful trip and I can't remember a happier, more relaxing holiday experience.

Room Tip: My tip would be spend the extra money and get a bure, it's worth it hands down. We had a combina...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Matamanoa for three nights in early January. After staying at the Hilton Denaru, it was a refreshing break. At the Hilton you could be at any beach resort in the world. Matamanoa is pure Fiji. We should have stayed at least another night.

The water is beautiful and it is so quiet. If you're after a calm Fijian holiday, surrounded by locals and in the company of other people who just want a break from the chaos of everyday life, Matamanoa is perfect. Its absolute 'Fiji time'.

The service isn't perfect, but it’s always delivered with a smile and warmth that makes you feel like you're in someone's private home.

As is the food. Matamanoa isn't a ‘two hat’ culinary experience. However you need to remember that this is an island, about 2 hours by boat from the mainland, which only receives supplies once a week. The staff do an amazing job with the resources they have. We had some lovely dinner meals. They didn't match the 5-star standard of the Hilton, however you could see the effort the chefs went to and the pride they took in their cooking.

Whilst on the island we went fishing and snorkeling, walked to the top of the island, had a hit on the tennis court and walked almost all the way around the island. If you go far enough you'll find some very special messages from honeymooners that have stayed or been married on the island. The island is just 14 acres. You go there to get away from reality!

My wife told me the massage was amazing. "Definitely ask for the lower height bed", she added.

There's a library, just in case you forgot to bring a book.

We didn't even use the pool. Why would you... you're in the middle of the pristine Pacific Ocean!

The snorkeling in fantastic. Forget the Great Barrier Reef. Whilst we didn't try scuba diving, the island has a very strong diving presence.

Matamanoa isn't "5 star". It is however a truly Fijian experience that lets you escape for a few days. We'd absolutely go back.

Room Tip: Sunset side was lovely. Buree 10 is right next to the restaurant, so best to stay away from that one...
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Partner and I went on holiday, we chose this island based on the fact no kids were allowed and away from the mainland.

We landed in Nadi and were taken via transfer to denarau port where our ferry waits for us. 1 hr and 30 min journey to matamanoa island resort, though the ride felt like 40min journey. We were greeted personally by the manager on the ferry and she made us feel at home straight away.

We arrived on the island with a warm welcome and a free cocktail waiting for us at the bar and then a brief welcoming and house-keeping rules during our stay.

Loved it, thank you matamanoa for your hospitality. Very friendly and welcoming, it was very sad when it was time to leave.

The staff were awesome, very laid back and relaxing.

Tui and Kev

Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

This is a fabulous find, a lovely island and cheap compared to others. It is definately not a luxury resort or a gourmet experience, but a great place to pack several books and be prepared to do not a lot. I'd particularly recommend it for the snorkeling or diving enthusiast as there is good coral accessible from the beach, the daily snorkeling boat trip is great and there is a dive shop and instructor resident on site. The hotel rooms are fine but lack privacy if you like to sit on the balcony, the extra for a beach bure is worth it. I have already booked to go back this year and that is something I never do (as I like to try new places), but for a quick relaxing and affordable break, you can't go past this one.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Matamanoa Island is perfect for couples who want to get away from it all, have no screaming children around and spend quality time together surrounded by Mother Nature’s finest.

The island itself is simply stunning. The horizon pool is salt water, so you really are spoilt for choice between spending time on the beach or in the pool. Sunrise and sunset takes your breath away every day.

In terms of accommodation I would highly recommend a beach bure. It is absolutely worth the extra money, as you can literally walk out of bed and onto the beach (as we did many times) or have some private time on the terrace and swing from your very own hammock.

HOWEVER…

All of the above praise comes with a warning to future travellers deciding on where to stay in Fiji.

The food and the service simply HAVE to improve. If this resort would like to keep advertising themselves as luxury accommodation, and charge clients an arm and a leg to stay there, they have to change – full stop. Not one person escaped from having a tummy bug whilst on the island – not one. Several people we became close to actually had to spend whole days in bed, shivering with fever, not to mention dozens of visits to the bathroom. We were there over New Year’s Eve recently, and I do have to say that the banquet served on the night was actually wonderful. When they served the same food the following night and disguised it on the menu under different names, my partner and I felt vaguely insulted that they didn’t seem to think we would catch on. Unfortunately, my partner ate “leftover” mussels and prawns and was sick the whole flight home from Nadi to Sydney – to the point where he can only stomach food now, 5 days later. This is simply outrageous.

As for the actual service in the dining room… there are a few staff who are truly special, but for the most part, you feel as though they are doing you a favour. It was so bad one night that we were left waiting 30 minutes for our dessert… They just don’t seem to care at all, and as mentioned before, when you are paying these prices staff really need to be better trained.
If I could plan the holiday again, I would book less nights (we stayed 8) on a better island, such as Tokoriki – which I have heard nothing but the best about.

Matamanoa – PLEASE look into your food health and safety practices, you cannot continue to make people so sick and essentially ruin their holiday.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stayed with my husband in Matamonoa for 5 days. Before this I stayed a week in a cheaper Fiji Island. I was dissapointed as I thought Matamonoa would be much more luxirous.

The staff were the rudest I have ever come across, the food variety lacked, the beach was all rocks (so there was no sun bathing on the beach), no activites to do, cocktails were outragiously priced ($30nzd) per drink.

However... the upsides- breaskfast was always amazing, rooms beautiful, room service and cleanness was perfect and the walk to the top of the montain amazing.

This Island is best for couples that want to sit by a pool in the sun and great drunk with other guests. It was not the romantic/ fun holiday as I was expecting and as it was so small there was not much privacy besides being in your room.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Christchurch, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

From the moment my friend and I got off the boat and stepped onto the Island we were instantly greeted with a great welcome and a much needed cool drink. Staff were friendly and the food was absolutely incredible. The menu changed each night and I had the most incredible steak and veal. Plenty of activities to keep you occupied. The spa was tranquil and the views absolutely incredible. Very relaxed Island. Would definitely visit here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Matamanoa Island Resort? Share your experiences!