“Our Island Home away from Home” 5 of 5 stars

You added Matamanoa Island Resort to your Saves list
Matamanoa Island Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   Matamanoa Mamanuca Group, Fiji   |
Melbourne
“Our Island Home away from Home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Our 2nd visit here and its good to see good things dont change. We stayed in a Garden Room, nicely furnished, clean and cool and a nice little private deck. Food is great since they are on an island the menu options are surprisingly varied and well priced. Breakfast is included and I recommend the omelette. This place is great to relax and have a bit of together time, laze by the pool, catamaran, canoeing and snorkelling the reef from off the beach is a nice plus on this island. The Staff make this place, they are friendly and fun with many activities day and night. Get as involved as you like. The Diving is awesome and I recommend getting your PADI here with their fantastic dive crew. Best Value in Fiji!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

612 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Highly recommended resort and awesome Island. Very good service and staff and excellent food and great beaches and super dive sites see from the video

Go there.

Harry

Room Tip: Bungalows are the best.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

This little place is fantastic we spent 3 nights there after our wedding and enjoyed every moment! 4days/3 nights was enough though! It is total relaxation so if your happy with your nose in a book for days then this is the place! Also had great diving etc! Food was good, didn't have a bad meal at all so not sure what other reviews mean! Take into account your in the middle of no where :)

• Stayed November 2012
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Amazing resort the rooms were clean and cool. Staff were very friendly. The restaurant was really good especially as on an island there were different options every night. Breakfast also had a good choice. Perfect get away for couples. We also did the snorkelling boat trip and there are lots of reefs without getting on a boat to see. Would advise getting the helicopter back to Denarau as great to get an aerial view of the island also to see the other islands.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We chose this island for our honeymoon as it is adults only and catered for only a small number of guests (I can't remember but I think only 30 rooms?). We stayed in a beachfront bure, and had a beautiful reef right in front to snorkel over each day. That was by far the highlight for us.
The rooms are simple, but clean, and housekeeping come everyday which is great. We were a little surprised that they don't have much privacy. Beach bures are right next to each other, with no gardens in between, so sitting on your balcony you are looking right at your neighbours. Luckily, we met some nice neighbours!! Unfortunately we were also next to the back of the restaurant, where staff gathered to smoke and talk, so sometimes a bit noisy. We did mention this to reception, and it got a little better. Other rooms would not have this problem. The staff in reception were always helpful.
We did a couple of dives from the dive shop. Kali took us on the dives and he was an awesome guide, always helpful, friendly and providing information about the sea life.
The restaurant was nice with fabulous views, and at night a very talented band play to entertain guests. Some meals were really wonderful, like the curry and buffet dinner evening, other meals were fair-average, like the sandwiches at lunch. Considering you are on an island though, I was impressed with the variety at dinner (different menu each night). I would recommend going a-la-carte, as it is cheaper than the meal packages, unless you think you will want a 3 course meal every night! Ili in the restaurant was always happy and provided great service, but there was one female waitstaff who during our stay never smiled, sometimes even bordering on rude.
Overall some staff at the resort were simply wonderful, others just didn't seem too happy to be there at all, which lets them down. This was a little disappointing given that we were expecting that renowned friendly Fijian attitude.
The spa is a MUST! They are lovely, open hilltop 'huts' with an amazing view out over the ocean, and Ili, Emma and all the spa staff were great. Some days gets very windy and cold, so they would benefit from having some pull down screens or something to protect them from the elements.
The big downside was the large group of noisy and rude guests that were there when we stayed. Not that management could really control their noise! These guests would also 'reserve' the few chairs around the pool ALL day with their towels and belongings, whilst they went off for day trips or activities. When you are paying a lot of money to stay somewhere and day after day you cannot even get a chair by the pool, it gets a little annoying. Maybe just trying to manage it with a notice in the room guides or a sign by the pool might improve this problem. Or, get enough chairs for everyone. Overall, it was a lovely break. 5 stars for the beach, snorkelling and spa and the staff that did make us feel welcome. We had a nice honeymoon at Matamanoa!

Room Tip: The beach front bures are great, but 9 & 10 are a bit noisy due to being next to the pool and re...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Torrington, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My wife and I stayed here 4 nights. Took the ferry/boat from the Port of Denarau and it was about 1 ½ hours to the resort. A boat from the resort meets the ferry to bring you in. They do have a helipad if you prefer a really short trip to get here. Welcome arrival is very nice with the staff greeting you at the beach with a song and a necklace, a nice first impression. Then it is a little walk up to the dining/reception area for a welcome drink and resort introduction. There are only 26 rooms/bures on the island so it is very small. The staff is very nice and welcoming and helpful and quick to say Bula when you see them throughout the day. We stayed in a Garden View bure the first few nights and moved to a Beachfront the last nice. Garden View bure was recently refurbished, and the Beachfront was scheduled to be, but both were in good condition and very clean. Garden View was fairly basic with the bed, small table and chairs, and a cupboard/drawer unit that had the mini fridge and safe and the bathroom with shower only, there are no televisions at the resort. The Beachfront room was just on the other side of the path and was much larger with a sitting area with a divan-type thing and a bar with stools where the mini fridge was located. There was a hammock on the Oceanside and also chaise’s. I would suggest the resort invests in cushions for all their chaise’s as they are hard plastic and fairly uncomfortable. It was about a 30 second walk from here to the beach, if that. Both rooms had a wall mounted a/c.

The resort has a watersport/dive center. Excursions, dives, PADI certification are an additional charge. The woman who ran the center was very nice and exuberant.

My one major gripe about the resort was the food which was okay to poor. Breakfast was included and, in my opinion, the best of the day. The restaurant staff was mostly fine, although it was rare to have them check how your meal was. They do offer a meal plan (lunch and dinner) as well. Otherwise it is ala-carte. First day we were there and had lunch my wife ordered a fish combination with prawns. About halfway through the meal she realized there were no prawns included. As the waitress never returned to check on the meal (or refill the water) I told her about this after we had gotten up when we were finished. Just to be sure I had asked if prawns should have been in the dish and she told me yes. When I told her there were none she went to the kitchen and asked and told me the chef had run out, sorry. That’s it. I did not want to make a big deal of it so I said “the chef will make up for that tomorrow, right?”. Needless to say, he didn’t. Although the dinner menu did have some slight changes the lunch menu was exactly the same with addition of a pasta special daily. I think that one of the problems with the menu is that they do not describe the dishes ingredients very well. Case in point, I do not care for cilantro (coriander) and also not a big fan of ginger. The first day there both of my meals had cilantro, my tuna dinner was covered with it, so I scraped it off the best I could made due. After that I made sure to ask the wait staff or specify that I could not eat it and did not want it in my dish. On our last night I had ordered tuna sashimi and my wife a chicken dish and we both asked for no cilantro. My sashimi came and it was smothered in ginger. Seriously, it made your eyes water and nose run, but the menu never mentioned ginger. I traded my meal with my wife (who likes ginger but had to cut off the outer layer because it was sooo strong), and started to eat the chicken dish but, you guessed it, had coriander in it, even though we had asked there be none. I ended up ordering fried fish, which was fine, but I was not so happy that my meal was about the last to come out of the kitchen, at least a ½ hour after my wife had finished hers. Lukewarm semi-apology and no adjustment to my bill, even though I asked. I think, for me, what is particularly vexing is that the food is fairly expensive. Most dinner entrees average $45 Fijian. A lot of money for so-so food. Restaurant is open-aired BTW.

The beach here is fantastic as well as the snorkeling, with a reef surrounding the island with great corals and a drop off at some points to deeper water where you might see a reef shark or turtles. Water visibility is very good and you can swim around the whole island if you like.

The resort does have a tennis court and there is a hike to the top of the island that had some great views. It is a very steep hike, you’ll get your heart pumping. From the top you can look over at the island they filmed the movie Castaway, Mondriki. We did take a day trip to Mondriki on the Sea Spray (an outside paid excursion), and then they stopped at the village of Yanuya, where we tried Kava and also there were some trinkets. Snorkeling at Mondriki was good and it was cool to see the island as I had seen the movie. Trip included a good lunch and drinks, beer and wine as well. They picked us up at Matamanoa Resort.

We did have a spa treatment here. The treatment was very good and the spa location and setting was fantastic and dramatic. You basically walk upward to the spa on planking in the “jungle” next to the beach and the outdoor treatment areas are thatch-roofed open air huts perched above the ocean, really unique.

Matamanoa has no wi-fi, there is access to one computer that has dial up at a charge. They are working on building additional bures just over the “hill” and said they would be adding wi-fi as well.

We really liked the resort and it is a great choice if you want to relax and get away from everything. It is Adults Only. They really need to work on the restaurant though.

Thanks again to Poni and Cirillo and the rest of the really great staff. I also want to mention that, at dinner, they make announcements and give awards to people who won a contest during the day, got scuba certified, etc. The sweetest part is bidding farewell to the guests that are leaving by name and singing a Fijian good-bye song as well. Kind of “Club Med-ish” but very touching and memorable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

We didnt even make it to the resort! Tried to cancel due to australian government travel warnings (floods) at the time. Every other resort we booked went out of their way to help us. This resort would not budge and wanted to charge full cancellation fees or give us 1 year credit to use it again. Left it at that and never accepted the cancellation fee. Went to re-book in novemeber and was told that we were charged full cancellation fees and that we had no credit to use. Purely financially motivated resort that thinks they can do what they like. Very unwilling to help with the situation, felt like they just wanted to take my money.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
newsofthepacific, Director of Sales at Matamanoa Island Resort, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Vinaka David, you certainly did come good on your threat to write a negative review on Trip Advisor if we didn't refund your money. Your flight operated to Fiji on the day in question, you have travel insurance and advised me that you didn't see why you would have to pay the $250 excess to claim. I offered you a one year credit, you stated and I have it in writing in an email from you that you won't accept this and would never stay at our Resort nor recommend it to your friends. In fact you said you ran a business in Sydney and that you would tell all your friends not to stay with us. I then advised that we would be charging full cancellation fees way back then. I heard nothing from you after that email I sent (I have it on file) until you requested to re book in November this year. When I advised you that we have charged cancellation fees you then phoned me @ 0730 in the morning and screamed abuse at me and then more threats. I am sorry that you feel this way and only wish you would have accepted the one year credit to rebook.

Been to Matamanoa Island Resort? Share your experiences!