“Loved it - Great Family Holiday” 4 of 5 stars

Mana Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   P. O. Box 610, Fiji   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Sydney, Australia
“Loved it - Great Family Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We spent 7 days at Mana with our 2 children (5 yrs and almost 2) and absolutely loved it.

I highly recommend this place if you are travelling with kids. The staff are friendly and helpful and great with the little ones.

We took advantage of the 5 hours free babysitting service for our son and put him into the Mei Mei Creche for his day sleep in the afternoons (they have cots in the back of the room).

Our 5 year old girl spent some time at the kids Club but to be honest the program was catered more to the older kids which was fine as we were travelling with friends and their kids so there was always someone to play with and the pool was a big draw as well.

Mana offers dinner for the kids from 5.30 pm which was fantastic. The kids were able to eat with all the other kids, be messy etc and we ate later in the evening.

I was a bit worried about the reviews in relation to the buffet but have to say the meals were really nice and there was plenty of food to choose from. The a la carte restaurant – I definitely had better – but nevertheless we enjoyed the company and the beautiful view.

The room category was average and yes I agree it is a bit expensive but we knew that before we went. All we were after was a nice, relaxing holiday and we definitely got that.

The Spa - bliss, absolute bliss and I highly recommend it.

I would definitely go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
adelaide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have just returned from this beautiful island. We were blown away by the clear waters and white sands upon arrival. Our welcome from the local staff was so beautiful and their warmth never left throughout our stay. Weather was HOT but there was plenty of shade and the rooms had a fan and AC. We couldn't believe we had been upgraded to the 200 block with a stunning bure that included an outside shower, our own spa, deck that was 20m from the beach and was very private. FANTASTIC experience with a slow, relaxed nature.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We have just returned from Mana Island where we spent 10 wonderful days. It was our first time visiting Fiji and we would not hesitate to return to Mana Island. We arrived feeling busy and tired and left feeling like we were floating on a cloud!
The island is absolutely beautiful - amazing, amazing snorkelling right off the beach. Our daughter (4) learned how to snorkel while we were there and it is something I know she will never forget. What a place to learn how to snorkel! The colourful fish are so plentiful it is astounding.
Mana offers plenty of activities if you want to get involved. A program of interesting activities is set out each day on the information board.
I have to make mention of Zack. He is part of the island activities team and he is just wonderful. He wove some gorgeous hats and handbags and dressed our little darling in a grass skirt and made her feel so happy and special. Thank you Zack.
Our stay was enhanced by how lovely the Fijian people are. They made us feel so welcome and helped make your stay comfortable and easy. They are so genuinely wonderful with children it makes your heart sing. I can't think of anywhere else in the world that I have been that is like this.
We walked up to the the lookout and down to Sunset Beach. It was great to be able to get out and do those walks as an activity. We spent an afternoon swimming and walking on Sunset Beach -- we were the only ones there not a soul in sight.
We highly recommend Mana Island a lovely holiday for families.
Thank you Mana Island and all of the lovely people.

Tauranga, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family (3 kids aged 2-8, husband and grandparents) and I have just returned from 5 nights at Mana Island. We booked an Island Bure and my parents had an oceanview room (300 block). I was bitterly disappointed with my bure as it was tiny for the 5 of us, no where to sit and a little porch that went straight onto a walkway with no privacy or space for the kids to play outside the bure within view. My parents room was on the otherside of the resort which was inconvenient however they didn't have anything available closer. In the resort's defence our travel agent should have known the room would be too small for us but also the resort shouldn't really promote an island bure as an option for a family of 5. I tried desperately tog et an upgrade (to anything at any cost!!) but was told the resort was fully booked, although I do know of others that were offered upgrades without even asking?! I understand island life is laid back but when you're paying top dollar for a week away from a stressful life at home you expect decent service and a little more 'energy' in trying to help with issues.
That said....the island is absolutely beautiful, white coral sand, crystal clear blue water and good snorkelling right off the beaches. Always a sheltered beach with one on either side of the resort and plenty of walks to do around the place to keep those not content to sit in a lounger amused.
The food was ok, the Fijian food was better than the 'European' food but the service in the buffet in keeping food stocked wasn't great. There seemed to be a lack of efficiency in the kitchen with staff always behind the 8 ball. On the downside 4 of our group got sick while there (gastric bug) which I can only assume was a bug from the food.
The resort itself is a little tired and definitely only 3 star but that is what it is advertised as so no surprises there. I've stayed at Plantation and it's similar in terms of standards. The ocean front bures looked much nicer than the island bures and if I went back that would be my pick of rooms. You can have an interconnecting bure if you're travelling with friends or a stand alone bure. The ocean view rooms were a bit run down but spacious enough for a small family or couple with a lovely outlook to the beach and a grassy area in front. A downstairs room is definitely better if you have kids.
The kids club was good and our kids had fun there although they only went in the evenings, helped by the lovely staff and babysitters (nannies). The kids also really enjoyed the pool which is simple but all they need. A bit more shade around the family pool wouldn't go astray.
Overall I would recommend Mana for a laid back stay on a beautiful island. It's great for kids and so long as you get the right room and are not expecting a flash resort you will enjoy it. Just be careful with what you eat and double check your room is right for you before you get there!

Room Tip: With 2 or more kids go for an ocean front bure or deluxe bure.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

What do I say….. But this place is the greatest Fijian Island Resort in the world. Mind you this is our first one. But hey this place is Awesome.

From day one the people of Mana Island were fantastic. The island activities personnel Zack and Lemba were great they really bent over backwards to ensure our stay was fun and exciting each and every day. Zack even came to our Bure after work to show us how to get a coconut down from a tree and eat it. He was fantastic. Lemba was there always sharing her peoples traditions and customs.

The Kids club was magnificent, Big Bear and Cindarella were amazing with our kids. My kids still sing their songs. Va, Coolia, and Bala were also magnificent. They really made sure our kids had a really wonderful time throughout our stay. At night we used Bala to look after our youngest and all I can say was she was magnificent. Her huge big smile would light up the night and my boy would love every minute with her. He would fall asleep in her arms which is truly amazing for him. If I could bring her home to Australia for a live-in nanny I would.

We booked the deluxe Bure (403) which was a stand-alone. It was basic large room with a king bed, a single and a fold our lounge. We just pushed the single up against the king and all four off us slept together. It was fun. If I had to pick on anything on the room it would be the fridge, it was small and had tape holding it together. But hey it was fun. If you go not expecting too much you will be pleasantly surprised. The water pressure was not huge, but the beach was only 75 steps away. All up I would book the same room again.

The free activities were great, the snorkeling gear was basic. If you have a good mask $95 up then take that. The ones used at the resort are cheap and depending on what you pick up in the morning will determine how annoyed you are. I took my own so I was happy. But my wife kept getting annoying masks. The kayaks were heaps of fun and we did that a few times. The hobby cats look fun but each time I went to have a go the wind died down.

There was also a good selection of paid sea activities. We tried the yellow sub and the kids loved it. I was a little annoyed the air cond had died and nearly died from the heat. My wife and daughter went on the snorkel trip and loved it.

The Food… what can I say…. Fijians just can’t cook that good. Once you realize that then everything is great. We read trip advisor before going and only booked the breakfast which would have to be at least a 7 out of 10. Eat early and beat the crowds. Once the crowds hit then everything runs out and you are waiting. Yes service is slow… But everyone in Fiji is slow. Get used to this quickly and you will be fine. In the end we ended up turning up late for things and we fitted in well. If you want coffee and you are sick of waiting to be served then get up and get it yourself. You will find they will rush to help.

We did not eat at the buffet at all. After reading everything that people had written and looking at the cost of $65 we thought we would book the south beach restaurant each night. We would have a few cocktails and a couple of mains and it would work out the same cost as the buffet. Plus the South Beach Restaurant is absolutely gorgeous and romantic. After seven years of hardly going out, we went out most nights together alone as a couple. It was great to have great baby sitters just up the sandy path.

We did go to the back packers and eat on the first night. All I can say is we were greatly disappointed. We watched all the local back packers served a night special with a bright pink sauce and were really worried. We ordered five different dishes and all of them were disgusting. The curry I ordered was not from this planet, but I ate half. The fish entrée my wife ordered was that bad she had one taste and left it. My daughter’s hot dog was so weird looking that she just cried and would not touch it. The chicken fried rice was under cooked and had too much soy sauce. All up it was a waste of money and time. About 2am in the morning I got up with a splitting headache and threw up for an hour. I will never again in my life eat at that establishment. After that night I was more than happy to pay the money they wanted for the dishes at South Beach Restaurant.

Now before I go on I must say this is a Family Friendly island. If I was 20 again I would not come here. But as a family man with a 3 and 7 year old it is perfect. If you have a family you must come here. It is awesome. They have a kids buffet at 5.30pm which has all the kids favorites. You drop the kids off with Big Bear and Va and they look after them. Once the kids are finished they are marched back to the kids club for a fun evening. Sometimes I think they have more fun than the adults. Lol.

The island is so relaxing that if your kids run off they can’t get lost. You just head to the turtle enclosure and you can always watch them trying to speak to the turtles. If they are not there they are usually speaking with a Fijian, laughing and playing somewhere. I found my kids always running off trying to find Zack because he was more fun than me. Lol

Overall this is a great great family holiday. We are definitely going to come back next year. But I reckon we will do 10 days next time. It takes about three days to slow down to island time. Hopefully the stories of returnees receiving a discount are true so we can stay longer. Do yourself a favour and stay, you will not be disappointed.

Tips:
Take some Duty Free alcohol with you. We took 2 litres but only drank one. (The bar will give you ice if you ask, we got it every night)

Take a suit case full of nibbles for the kids and yourselves. We also took processed cheese and crackers which was great for the drinks.

Ask the locals for some kava if you are interested in conducting your own ceremony. We found this fun to do together. If you ask nicely you can also do it with the locals after hours.

Buy some water and coke mixers from the supermarket which is three doors down from the south sea cruises. I took an extra soft bag with me which I pulled out when I got to the marina. I took it to the shop and filled it full of coke and tonic. I saw heaps of people buying cartons of beer and carrying them on board as well. The island does not care what you bring with you.

Take some spare childrens clothes with you that you can give to the local people. We ended up giving the clothes to some of the staff. They really appreciated them. The school principle said they are in need of more glue sticks. So if you want to visit the school he would be impressed with a box of glue sticks.

That is about it. All I can say is the water is blue and warm and the sun is hot.
Enjoy a great holiday.

Room Tip: Go for the North Side. Not windy, close to the beach. Nice balcony.
eagleby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Hi noel here again well I had another top holiday in Fiji the island was fantastic I don't know why people give this place a bad review they obviously expect way to much from a resort like that. What I would like to say is that it could do with a lot more night life like shows etc. I know a lot of families go there for there kids but hey some of us single people like to still have a life at night. I think I have a lot of local guys as mates on Mana now as we quite offen got stuck into the Kava of a night time mainly because there wasn't much else to do. Id like to thank Joe from seaspray tour for making me feel like one of the boys hopefully i'll be back there next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

We got upgraded to the honeymoon bure on a secluded part of the island. Great space and privacy. The bures are in good condition and the patio with lounge bed is a nice addition. As the bures are quite far away from the dining area, the room comes with its own golf buggy which you are allowed to use for the full duration of your stay. The breakfast buffet is sufficient, not very special. We had diner every night at the South Beach restaurant, where you pay around 35$ for a main course so if you are not a big eater this is a cheaper option than the buffet. The staff is very friendly and helpful, would recommend this resort to anyone. All in all we had a great time at Mana Island resort!

Room Tip: The north beach is prettier so try to get a room there.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!