“Cant wait to Return, 5 nights wasn't enough!!” 4 of 5 stars

Mana Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   P. O. Box 610, Fiji   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mana Island
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Cant wait to Return, 5 nights wasn't enough!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

What can I say about Mana island... it was amazing. Before me and my partner left to Mana, we read the reviews and we were a bit worried but i have to say this place doesn't deserve a bad review. Me and my Partner stayed in an ocean View bure and i have to say pay that bit extra and its truly worth it, We had the best view from our room and it was wonderful waking up to the ocean just outside our window. The room was always cleaned on time, and had great air condition. The snorkeling was excellent, one of the best. The food at Mana was good, we ate at the buffet and it was great atmosphere and they had different themes on each night, i would recommend to eat at the buffet. The people at Mana island were the most friendly, helpful people i have ever met, always willing to go that extra mile to help you. In the evenings there was lots of music and a Fijian night and the crab racing was a load of fun.. your never get board here. Yes the place needs some updating but this didn't ruin our holiday at all!! broken tiles, and shatters here and there, but this is an island, getaway after all. We recommend to have a walk up to the look out.. an amazing view. We loved our stay at mana so much, and are thinking of going back there later in the year.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Let me be humble by saying that any holiday opportunity is a privilege and it's a first world problem to complain about anything as luxurious as the ability to afford a holiday.

I'm not a 'resort' style person and would never actually choose to go somewhere like Fiji. We were there for a family event.

The good aspects: delightful, gentle and kindly staff who were a joy to engage with. Lovely snorkeling and natural beauty. Family friendly.

What's left to be desired: let's be honest here; I detest being a captive market to minimal choice which is below what I'd choose in my own suburb and double the price at half the quality. Food options are expensive, limited and nothing special.

Lack of any kitchen facility makes it hard to even gave the ability to prepare simple things yourself.

Found the fittings and general feel of the place to be tired in comparison to other facilities I've stayed at. Fine if you are honest and say you're 3 star but don't charge 5 star prices.

I understand we are in a developing country, but I've been in India, parts of Asia and beyond that are equally 'developing' yet offer higher standards at better value prices.

I cringed everyday at the portly, scruffy westerners (mainly loud, tattooed Aussies) scoffing plates of food down at the buffet breakfast and being rude to the server staff. Horrible.

The pool area is sometimes like a 'redneck yacht club' with boorish drinkers hanging out in groups. I don't like the Gold Coast for the same reason.

Just generally found the resort experience bland and repetitive; little culture or intellectual stimulation, but ideal if you are looking to gain a few kilos by draining the pancake counter at breakfast, lying around drinking sickly, expensive cocktails and frying your skin in the sun.

No gym or active facilities beyond watercraft and swimming.

I'm sure this sort of holiday appeals to some people, just not me.

Just felt uncomfortable being in a place that charged lots for the simplest drinks and food, while relative poverty and hardship exists outside the resort. Doesn't sit well with me

• Stayed August 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We have just returned from a 8 night stay at Mana Island resort in Fiji. We attended as part of a group to attend a wedding while there. We had a really fantastic time and loved the time there. Some tips for you though, take food with you to this island. We took cheese, crakers, cereal, snack bars for the children, small tins of tuna, and other items. This really helped as it meant that I could have a simple breakfast in my room rather then paying for three meals a day. From room service you only get Pizza or chips and that is fine for a while but you do start to want something different. The food is not that cheap but is is perfectly fine. As an indication only it is approximately $30 Fijian for a smogasboard breakfast, $65Fijian for a smogasboard dinner and there is and alacarte restaurant as well but you need to book early in the day to get into this. If you get a kids eat for free deal it is a big help to the bill at the end of the trip. As for the island the staff are just fantastic and so friendly. The island is lovely and you have a beach on each side of it to swim at depending on the weather. We had our son 3 year old with us and we took him to the kids club quit a bit and he loved it. He probably saw more more of the island then us as they were always out doing different activities or doing a Bula Bus trip around the island. The Accommodation was great and just as we had expected. We stayed in an island Bure. These are good as it gives you quick access to either side of the island and everything is handy. The rooms were clean, tidy and serviced daily. Keep in mind that you are going to an island so if your expecting something fantastic and elegant then maybe this is not the place for you. We have stayed on several island and been to several resorts in the Pacific and I was very satisfied with this location and the accommodation. Its very popular for weddings as there was almost one ever day that we were there. I recommend this as a great family or couples place to go for a break. Just remember go with an open mind to just have fun and relax and you will love it...plus take in a bit of food and drink with you. Plus we had a great time at the wedding that we went for.

Room Tip: The Island Bures have these great outside stone showers (accessed from inside your room) that are a...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

This place gets 4 star primarily because of location and accommodation. The beaches are really stunning, especially on a still day and the snorkelling is fantastic off north beach. We were In a deluxe ocean view bungalow, very spacious and a few steps to beautiful north beach. Safe swimming for kids. I recommend staying in the 400 bungalows. We stayed in 513 which is a fair walk to the main area, and the 500 bures are duplex which is ok except there is no screen on the deck between the 2. If you don't know your neighbours it is a bit awkward to share a deck, such an easy and cheap thing to fix. I am surprised no one has raised this before on trip adviser as it was the main gripe for me an my wife.
The food was ok but nothing special. Ditto the pool area, although did not get to use the horizon pool as we were with kids all the time.
a special thanks to reception staff who coordinated finding our 7 year old who went missing for an hour one evening.
We also enjoyed the Bula bus trip to sunset beach as well as the meke. Kids club seemed well run.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

I can honestly say I really enjoyed this place and my kids 11 and 5 loved it. It's not the Hilton but its that old saying " you pay for what you get". I think it's great value for money. We stayed in a island bure ...it was clean and met all our needs including great air con. We only used the room for sleeping.

I actually think I'm pretty fussy but I do realise people are only human .... And you just kinda go with the flow when your there. When this place gets bad reviews I think the people writing those reviews had gone to wrong place and should have stayed at one of the more expensive western resorts.

I'd recommend travelling with another family ....like we did.....its nice to have company whist the kids are in kids club. My kids loved the kids club.

If you get time....I'd recommend visiting the school .... and making a donation of $$$, school stuff or sporting equipment.

Room Tip: Island bure.... Loved the open air showers
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Mana Island Resort enjoys an idyllic setting and deserves a better facility. My wife and I recently spent a brief visit there to attend a wedding. The beaches are lovely and the pool and gardens pretty enough. However the resort itself is very tired, in desperate need of a facelift and not very clean. Furthermore the food is really very poor considering the prices paid and the arrangements for meals are designed to rip customers off to the maximum extent possible. For example it is impossible to have an a la carte breakfast. If you simply want an orange juice and a coffee you are forced to buy the buffett breakfast (Fiji $35!). This was of very low standard and the source of many complaints by other guests. Since you are on an island, there is no alternative but to pay the prices.
To cap off what really was a disappointing experience, guests in an adjoining room were drunk, unruly and up all night. Management were powerless to control the situation and it took 2 phone calls at 0330 and 0400 to get them to intervene. When confronted by us the next morning there was no offer of reduction in our charges and only repeated delaying tactics in the hope that we would just "disappear" on the ferry we were scheduled to catch. This reflects poorly on management and reinforces my recommendation to avoid this place.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Just returned from Mana Island resort in Fiji over a week ago. We had five days there and this certainly was not enough. Took our 3 year old and 16month old who were looked after fantastically by the nannies, though I wish the day care was a little better set up. (they can come to your room though).

We stayed in the ocean front suites which were lovely and suited us well, as our sleepin are was away upstairs from our kids.

I read many reviews before I left on this site which had made me concerned and I wish now I hadn't worried. Yes it is not perfectly manicured lawns and gardens but that's what 5 star is for. The resort staff are certainly five star. The food was fine overall. There were some things I didnt like at the buffet, but isn't that going to be the case at any buffet? We had no problem finding things the adults and kids would enjoy eating.

The resort pools were lovely and it was nice to have a child free pool for adults to relax around. I'm a mum and I still was happy to go to a kid free pool when my kids were off somewhere else. Thanks Vuni for making my Mojitos just the way I liked them.

The snorkelling was fantastic and so was the day spa. This is a resort for everyone. Couples, families, oldies and young folks, fat or skinny you feel like you belong. It is so unpretentious.

Thanks Mana Island for making our first overseas family holiday so memorable and our first visit to Fiji. We will be back.

Room Tip: Ocean front suites are great for families and have wonderful views of beautiful South Beach. We just...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Malolo Island Resort
Malolo Island Resort
#2 of 3 in Malolo Island
4.5 of 5 stars 522 reviews

Been to Mana Island Resort? Share your experiences!