“Terrible experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Mana Lagoon Backpackers

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mana Island
Mana Lagoon Backpackers
Manabeach 4, Fiji   |
Sydney, Australia
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed at this backpackers a few months ago and was really disappointed. I was told before going out that the price included free kayak use as well as free snorkelling gear. When I got out to the island I found out they don't even have a kayak and when I went to use the snorkelling gear they charged me. I am used to staying in very basic accommodation and can sleep almost anywhere but the beds in this place were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept in. 2 of the 5 days I stayed on this island I was sick from food poisoning and 2 other people got sick as well. The only nice thing I can really say about the place is that they have a nice beach but there are plenty of better options as far as accommodation goes with just as nice of a beach in Fiji. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Stay at the other backpacker next door to here
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

75 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Busan, Busan, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Mathias and the entire staff at Mana Lagoon truly made my experience a great one. They were professional, extremely caring and I strongly recommend this place to visit. Very pretty area and the food was also great.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Taiwan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

I like Mana Lagoon, I've stayed Fiji for 17 days, not many places. Bosco is the most charming leader I've ever met in Fiji. He takes good care for everyone, a welcome song and farewell songs are important here. He tries to remember everyone's name and nationality. I saw many times he asked people how were their rooms or how were their sleep...etc. Also he makes all the existing guests to introduce themselves to all the new coming people, which makes you be able to involve to this big family very soon.
Mana Lagoon is a very budget backpacker, only cold water shower here, there is no 24hrs electricity, they only run the generator at night, however you may find the same situation in Taveuni or many other small island in Fiji. These are not such big problems, if it's a problem for you, you should only book fancy resorts in Fiji to avoid it.
I like Mana Lagoon staff as well, there are some reviews say the staff didn't care about complaints, which is not true. Manasi is a good boy and a right person to talk to, he listens to your problems and solves the problem for you, He is reliable.
I like this place and people here, there is a unique atmosphere which is hard to be found in other place. Please keep them and don't change.
However, please improve your food and beverage. I'm not talking about the menu or portion, as long as I have something to eat, I don't mind. But while my stay, there were 3 boys sick on the bed, I was sick on the 3rd day, I threw up all the juice and water, I couldn't eat for whole day, and went to toilet many times, I had fever twice, was sweating and felt very cold. I found a girl next to my room sick as well, which means there were at least 5 people sick at the same time. And we were told there was virus going around, we just couldn't figure the reason out of what making us sick. While I came back to the main island Bamboo backpacker, I met another girl who stayed in Mana lagoon as well, she left on the 2nd day of my stay and she said there were another 4 boys sick as well during her stay. She went to the Hospital straight away when she arrived Nadi, and had blood test and Intravenous injection, after examination, she was told by the Hospital that was food poison! The next day the other 2 boys came back from Mana island and said the other sick boy collapsed when the boat arrived Nadi. During the week, there were at least 9 people got food poisoned.
I love Mana, I write this review is not to slap you, not a hit, not a revenge, not a complain...(ok, maybe it is.) My point is I want you to improve, and I want you to be better, then I hope in the future when people go there can have a complete wonderful experience.
Bosco, I understand you have a very tight budget on food, but the chicken shouldn't be cooked as medium well, it's not beef steak, we don't need a medium well chicken. and I still love you.

Room Tip: If you don't like the food here, go to Rutu Kini lodge next door, they have some food.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

We spent 4 nights in Mana Lagoon, which turned out to be one of the best 4 days ever!
The atmosphere was brilliant, day and evening activities were organised regularly. The staff was nice and welcoming and really made us feel like a part of the family.
It's a perfect place for backpackers on a budged, the accommodation as well as the food is basic, but it's exactly what you pay for.
Overall we had a great experience and we wish we could have stayed longer!

Room Tip: There are no shops or ATMs on the island, so remember to bring snack, drinks, water etc. with you.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manalagoon, Front Office Manager at Mana Lagoon Backpackers, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
bosco
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

So I went to mana abit worried as when I was booking island all the locals were telling me to go so I went on their word! I got there and it was the BEST advice EVER! OK it basic but what do you want from an island and hostel??? People need to remember that this is still a fijian run island and isn't run by americans or Australians like MOST of the other islands. Isn't going to a country about putting money back into it and giving it back to the locals? I was in a 6 bed dorm and it was fine. What do you want for the price?? I have never laughed so much in my life. The STAFF are truly AMAZING and looked after me so much soooo friendly and down to earth. Bosco is a LEGEND and made me feel so welcome. I had my birthday out there and it was amazing, you worry abit about being away from family and friends I had nothing to worry about. I could of wished for a better week. MANA LAGOON you were truly amazing and everyone who works there are too!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
Manalagoon, Front Office Manager at Mana Lagoon Backpackers, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thanks for the review, we are a basic fijian run village backpackers, yes were not perfect but we try. We cater for backpackers on a very tight budget.

love Bosco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

this is a beautful island, very friendly staff, bosko is a legend!! The food is fantastic, I'm guessing all the complaints are from women who come over from sydney just to say they've been to fiji. When you think your in the middle of the south pacifc and getting pancakes for breakfast, steak/ fish for lunch and tea, you realise how lucky you are and that there's people not just in the world but on mana island that would give a arm for that food!! People need to get a grip!!
$5 for renting a snorkel for the day!!! Again, come on!! It's nothing, unbelievable.
Mana lagoon even put on free cultural shows and kava sessions, and my friend had her birthday there whilst we were staying, the staff decorated every where and brought her a cake !!

People who give this place bad reviews need a reality check !!

• Stayed March 2013
Manalagoon, Front Office Manager at Mana Lagoon Backpackers, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for the review...cheers bosco
West Chester, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Horrible experience here. Super dirty, food was awful, most uncomfortable bed I have ever been in. They promise you free use of snorkel gear and kayaks but when I got out there, they charged for all of it. I know you are paying for super basic here but I have stayed in super basic places that were WAY nicer than this place, where they actually care about their customers. All in all I wouldn't recommend this place to my worst enemy. Much better options in Fiji than this place.

Room Tip: Stay at the next hostel over, Ratu Kini. Way nicer place
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sean came for surfing, surf boat needs two people to run to Cloud Break, no surfers around at the time he stayed, surf wasnt good either, very sorry it didnt work for you.

Bosco

Been to Mana Lagoon Backpackers? Share your experiences!