“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Fiji   |
New Zealand
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We just returned from a week at Lomani.
As others have said the resort is wonderful and the staff could not have been more freindly.or accomodating.
Request Bure 14 if you can as its the closest one to the beach with a fabulous outlook. The Bure was beautifully appointed and the small touches( Chocolate on the pillow at night and free laundry service and the huge in room video collection availabe on demand ) set the resort apart.The grounds are well kept and the daily activities well run.We went snorkelling every day and each day we were taken to a differnet spot.
If there is one area where Lomani could improve it would be the lunch and dinner menus. The food is fairly expensive and there is not a large varity,particualry at lunch time if you want a light meal. We chose to cycle over to Musket Coves coffee shop a few times for a more casual lunch and this was great. The main restaurant at Musket also had a few more choices and the Lomani staff were happy to drop you over there in the evening.

All in all a wonderful resort for a quiet relaxing holiday with a bit of luzury- would totally recommend it.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Following 9 nights at a family resort in Vanuatu, we were always going to be looking forward to arriving at Lomani. We had read the reviews and were excited as they were always of a consistent high standard.
We had previously decided to transfer from Nadi via Seaplane, seriously this well worth the little extra money both ways as you are extending your holiday by some margin.
We had specifically asked for a quieter Hibiscus Suite prior to arrival along with other last minute questions, all of these were answered promptly and we were not disappointed when we were checked in. We stayed in Room 11 which is right on the beach front and the hotel's spa is next door so no neighbour noise at all.
We didnt look inside any of the beach bures but to be honest all of the rooms looked as though they had amazing ocean views apart from the one hibiscus suite behind us.
The best bits
Pure FIJI toiletries - you dont need to bring anything - ladies the shampoo conditioner and body lotion are gorgeous and replenished when you need them. The soaps are lovely after a day in the sun you almost dont need aftersun.
4 litres of water replenished daily in the room, lots of range on tea and coffee e.t.c plus individual milk cartons in the fridge.
Little touches could go on and on.......things like Aeroguard in your room ready to spray before your nightly meal....Mortein for you to use if you dont like the little sugar ants in your bathroom (I really dont like greeblies, but these guys are no issue) free wash and fold service on daily basis you just have to iron. Fully loaded DVD player with over 500 movies (perfect if you have a rainy day or want to watch a movie after dinner) comfy settees to have your pre or post dinner drink. Free room service so you can breakfast in bed.

The worst bits?
Seriously none.....other people have commented on the flies at breakfast......you are in the South Pacific what do you expect? this is a lush island there are frogs, bats, numerous types of birds e.t.c - areoguard works fine and just put your napkin over the food at brekkie.. only mossie issues at night so all fine. The hotel do a wonderful job of trying to keep the peskies at bay with smoke boxes under the tables e.t.c

other people have commented on the hard beds.......ours was lovely and comfy and especially loved the pillows.

The one thing I would say is that before we came we specifically asked if we could pay extra to keep the room past 10am as we knew we would be a late checkout. We were told if no one else was checking in that we could keep the room otherwise there would be somewhere to shower and change.

Unfortunately the showering and changing is take it in turns using the spa (if it isnt booked) we were lucky but still had to shower between 13 and 14 our departure wasnt till 16. The perfect end to the holiday would have been to stay in our room, BUT we do appreciate in a small facility you cannot have everything.

Special staff mentions..........
There are so many amazing people who work here that simply too many to mention.
Bo....checked us in and out. Thank You Bo for all of your help and especially with our Seaplane on departure that meant we literally walked onto the beach (then piggyback through the shallow sea) to our plane. Very memorable moment we wont forget and our fellow travellers on the beach got a bit of excitement that afternoon as well!!
Petulli - had an amazing personality and was extremely efficient at herding individuals !!!
Mesu - for the nightly entertainment -
Net - for our dolphin safari and helping my husband back on the boat!

The restaurant had a really good range of meal selections and there was always a nightly special.
Highly recommend the curry, coconut and lime prawns, catch of the day, marinated chicken, special lamb shanks, pork, lemon cheesecake.

The Fijian Ice Tea cocktail ....lovely -

In terms of things to do, there is a weekly blackboard on the beach and you just put your name down at reception for what you want to do......we took our own snorkels and masks but everything you need is available to use and you just keep for your holiday then return. Beach towels you just pick up from reception then change when you ready.
You can take out hobie cats, kite surf, kayaks whenever just let reception know.

Snorkelling best to walk up to the plantation (3 mins on beach) and swim out near the yellow raft, lots to see. Otherwise there is a daily reef snorkelling on Lomani's own boat.

I did walk to Plantation and am so glad we were staying at Lomani, it was far too big, great for families but not great for people looking for a quiet holiday. What was good is it had a small supermarket so you could get the basics if you needed to stock up on anything.

All in all a lovely relaxing holiday made amazing by the staff owner Louisana and its location on a gorgeous island. We will return !

Room Tip: If you request Hibiscus Suite 11 or 12 you wont have any neighbour noise, otherwise go for a beach f...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

This was my first experience of anywhere tropical and I was not disappointed. The resort is over 16s only, so it is quiet but very relaxing. If you are looking for action, there are other bars & restaurants on the island within an easy walk. The staff at Lomani are fantastic..every one of them. Loved all the activities - others have said there is better snorkelling elsewhere, but again, as a first-timer, I had a great time. I highly recommend taking a water-proof camera to capture this underwater world. There are disposable ones available on the island, but the results are pretty average. Others have commented on the food - Lomani meals are good, 'Dick's Place' over at Musket Cove is also good, but I would give the restaurants at Plantation Island a miss. We only had the breakfast meal deal (other Tripadvisors advised against the 3 meal package) and we found this to be just right - a big breakfast to start the day and an evening meal was all we wanted. Even on the days when we did have some lunch, we were still financially ahead. Wednesday night is Fijian banquet night - Kava ceremony and lovo dinner - not to be missed.
Take out the bikes and explore, go paddling out to the reefs in the glass-bottom kayaks, take the bush walk, enjoy the outdoor shower....basically try everything!
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Lomani - absolutely beautiful location and staff. If I return to Fiji, I would have to work hard to find a better place than Lomani.
Bula Vinaka, Lomani staff.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

My first taste of a Tropical Island Paradise involved no radical cultural adjustment.
The friendly Fijians have much experience of Aussies and New Zealanders.
I am english born, hence the South Yorkshire reference but have lived in Australia so long the pommie element is miniscule. For the week in Fiji I could be Aussie.
Lomani is quiet, no children below 16 allowed in. Suited us, we could go next door to Plantation Island Resort for a taste of the hurley burley.
Suite 12 suited us too. It is 30 metres from the beach .roomy and comfortable with indoor and outdoor showers and a library of DVD on hard drive which provides something for everyone.
Also, it is close to Reception, the Restaurant and the pool.
I never came to terms completely with the food on the island but I think I may have brought an ailment with me. 7 days after arriving back I am still ill, but not from the food.I had several curries which tasted fine, my partner sampled fish at Lomani, which was also tasty.
We also tried 2 of the other three eateries on Malalolo Lai Lai, one of which was quite
good ( Dick's Place)and the other was very ordinary ( close to Dick's).
The food at Lomani was a little more expensive but compared well on value in the end.
Take advantage of the free activities, from snorkelling to fishing, they give you an opportunity to sample the pellucid waters of this beautiful archipelago.
A thoroughly satisfactory introduction to Resort life on a Tropical island without taking one step out of my comfort zone

Room Tip: Hibiscus Suite 11 or 12
Papamoa NZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Most of what I have to say has already been said so I will focus mainly on the areas that could be improved on and some other aspects of our stay. The beach front bures are new, well laid out and offer all they market them on. They have recently expanded the bures from 4-5 to around 15 or so. The last lot were opened on 1 July. We had a bure opened 1 April and although it was finished was missing a few things the older bures have, a safe for personal items and a hard drive for TV watching when it rained. There is a DVD player with DVD's on offer. The new bures have solar paneled water heating (as opposed to gas) which limits how much hotwater you can use. We did on occasion notice towards the end of our showers (they were long) that the temperature had dropped marking the end of the available water. In saying this I think this aspect is a good environmental change and it did not bother us. The outdoor shower is outstanding. I did wonder why they built the bures so far back off the beach with long large lawns in front of them but did not ask. Bure 14 is an older bure but is definitely the ultimate beach front destination for closeness. This resort is laid out so it has pockets of intimate areas making it feel exclusive but somewhat quiet. I thought with the increase in the rooms they now need to have more loungers around the pool as they have gone from 30 or so guests to more than 60 now making poolside loungers particularly in the afternoon after the excursions hard to come by. I think they have 10 in total. Likewise they also need a few more beachside to accommodate the extras. The food was at best average. The restaurant setting and atmosphere is by far the best on the island but let down by its menu and food. Our personal view and may not be shared by others is that it sacrificed quality for quantity. I firmly believe that a complete menu overhaul is needed. We ate at Musket cove once and enjoyed the food more there but the atmosphere and setting had nothing on Lomani. I will acknowledge that we did not bring to the attention of Lucy the food issue but felt that she was doing such a good job of running this resort we did not want to appear negative. We did however enjoy the Kava night and buffet. If they could take the food to the next level we would return to this resort again. There are bugs particularly flies at this resort around food. There is nothing they can do about this so we just accepted it. Spray and repellant and coils are used and provided. The freshly baked bread and buns made at the resort are exceptional. The outings on offer are good. The snorkling in general in this area is average but this is something beyond their control. I think the village tour could be more organised. It felt like we were dropped there to shop. I would like to have had a tour and seen their way of life but did not want to wander into the village unaccompanied as it felt disrespectful and I did not want to offend anyone. We enjoyed the use of the bikes and urge guests to bike the back roads and have a good look around the islands. The tracks are good. I had 2 beachside massages and found Selina to be wonderful. She has a neat personality and is actually a good masseuse something that you do not always find in some resorts. Prices were reasonalbe $80 fijian for 1 hour deep tissue. This resort is headed to the next level and I am sure a price hike will come when they reach it. It would be worth the visit now before this happens. Evening entertainment is quiet but to be expected at a honeymoon style resort. They have a bar area and games to play if one is bored. There are other bars and restaurants on the island which means you do not feel trapped. WE had the meal plan for 2 of 4 nights and changed it. I found myself eating for the sake of it ie three course meals at lunch and dinner. I thought prices were reasonable at all places we tried and urge people to explore. Other places look far off but once you walk they are really only 15 minutes away at most. There was not one staff member that did not do their job well and with a smile. This can sometimes make all the difference. Beds are hard which is common. Lastly if you need to stay plugged in like some of us who have businesses then the wireless internet plan of $80 fijian for the week is great value. You could access the internet anywhere on the resort except for parts of the bure mostly the bed which have concrete walls. There are cheaper shorter plans on offer as well. Despite my negatives which I only point out to help the resort improve I endorse this resort as a place to visit. Once they sort out the food issue and the couple of other minor things which come with fast business growth they will be close to perfection. Bula Vinaka Lomani and your staff.

Brick, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We chose to stay at Lomani for 4 nights during our honeymoon. This was a great way to start our trip - the calm, quietness allowed us to just absorb it all. At times it seemed a bit too quiet for our tastes & we ventured next door to Plantation Resort (sister resort to Lomani) for some people watching. Our second stop was Intercontental Fiji Golf & Spa resort on the main island & it is very different than Loman - actually the complete opposite.

We stayed in a beachfront bure - I believe it was bure 14 & the location was very nice. There was no noise from any construction while we were there. I know they are adding bures on, but they were a bit down the shore from our bure. The room was lovely with plenty of space. The outdoor deck with the cushioned lounge chairs was great too, although we only used them one day since we found being next to the pool was a better choice for us - we can cool off in the water. I loved the outdoor shower, I enjoyed using it a few times.

Breakfast was included with our stay & it was a lovely choice of breads, cereal & fruits. We also ordered the pancakes & eggs everyday - which was also free.

We had dinner there one night & unfortunately my husbands steak was over cooked, chewey and had no taste. I had a ceasar salad which came out warm & made me concerned that I would get sick, but the taste was fine - not great, but not bad either. We are very finicky eaters & do not like fish, so the menu at Lomani was a bit difficult for us to select something to eat. We ended up going next door to Plantation Resort (a 6 minute walk) & also Musket Cove (a 15 min walk) to eat. Plantation has a wider variety of food to choose from since it is a kid friendly resort.

Lomani includes many activities - we snorkeled every day we were there. Ned & Pecielli took us out on the boat to a different spot every day to enjoy the reefs. We also did the dolphin watch, but unfortunately did not find any dolphins. We did not use the kayaks but they seemed to always have plenty to use if we wanted to use them.

The masseuse, Selina, was great and she gave me a lovely massage. It was a pleasure talking to her about the cosmetology field, since I am also a licensed cosmetologist.

The grounds were cleaned every day. The place is kept meticulous. The flys were annoying at breakfast, but they do put smokers out that have an interesting smell to keep the bugs away, but I think the flys like the smell. We stayed here during the end of June through beginning of July 2012 and the weather was perfect - no rain & in the mid to upper 80s. At night it would cool down to the 70s & one evening I even needed a sweater to stay warm.

The water there is so clear, turquoise & calm, there are no waves. I would bring water shoes if you plan on swimming since there is lots of coral & rock hidden under the water. The tides change very drastically & it was very interesting to see how far it went out during low tide.

Watch out for the falling coconuts, we were laying in a hammock the first day & one came down & missed us by about 3 feet. A bit scary, but you learn the sound of one about to fall very fast. They come down all the time.

We were very sad to leave Lomani, since the people here are very friendly & always smiling. But to be honest, 4 nights was perfect for us, 5 would have been too many. We hope to visit again soon - but with a 16 hour flight & 50 min boat ride, it probably won't be for a few years :(

This is a lovely island & resort to visit - if you make your way to Fiji, defiantely check out Lomani.

Room Tip: Beach front bures are the farthest away from Plantation Resort (family resort) - they are secluded...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

We would like to thank everyone at Lomani Island Resort for welcoming us during our recent stay. I am not sure how to fully express how pleased we were with all the staff (starting from Orisi picking us from the jetty) the room, the resort facilities and the food. We say that there is always room for improvement but the more we think about Lomani and the more we believe this resort is very close to perfection.
I know how management proactively seeks suggestions for improvements and comments but it is very difficult to think of any.
The Hibiscus room 1 we had was large, spacious and with a great looking comfortable bed (four post bed). The room had a fantastic outlook out on the beautifully manicured lawn and onto the beach/sea. Everything was extremely well cleaned and in perfect order. Even the couch was very, very comfortable. Four litres of bottled water are provided for free every day for drinking, coffee and tea. There is a mini fridge, a safe and a flat screen TV with a DVD/CD player if you really want to waste time watching movies instead of sitting outside in the fresh air.
The bathroom was nice and large, well stocked with Pure Fiji products and great towels. The patio chairs were great and it was nice to be able to sit just outside your room in the shade to relax. Free next day laundry is also provided. Everything else about the room facilities, cleanliness and furniture was just great (thank you housekeeping).

The resort has a beautiful swimming pool, hammocks in the gardens and long chairs on the beach. Free use of Kayaks, Windsurf etc. is also provided.

Sereana at the reception area was just a source of joy every time we needed to ask for some information or help. She manages everything quite well and always, always with a great smile and calming voice.

The food was of a really good standard and well presented (thanks Chefs). The little touches like the Chef's entrees and the bread buns served warm were excellent. Same for the breakfast croissants served/kept warm. The fresh breads, fruit and the a la carte omelettes/eggs were also beautiful. The wait staff at the restaurant during breakfast, lunch or dinner was always attentive, relaxing and very professional. We also enjoyed a candle light dinner under the stars and palms at tables for two in the sand near the beach. We had no problems with mosquitoes although the staff was courteous enough to always suggest/offer some insect repellent at dusk before dining. We didn’t feel the need to look elsewhere for food and it was a pleasure to have all our meals with you.

The free daily excursions (Dolphin Safari, Snorkelling, Fishing trips) were fantastic and well timed and without pressure… no need to change anything there either (Thank you Pecielli and Ned)

The masseuse (Selina) was great and we really enjoyed her services. Again another professional team member.

The whole staff team was amazingly looking like they were on the same mood and attitude...attentive, professional, friendly, warm and welcoming.

This is to the merit of Lusi the Manager. I strongly believe that your attitude to management has been very productive. It delivers visible, tangible great results.
Keep up what you are doing, maintaining that humble attitude and respect which is helping everyone enjoying working for you and with you.

I have worked for many years in Hotels and in my stays and trips around the world, I rarely found such a successful and complete package encompassing facilities, staff, management in a ratio that works well and delivers happy customers one after another (read previous reviews).
We will try to come back soon as possible…our stay was memorable and it is a compliment to you and your staff's efforts.

I have left out many details and surprises you will see when you go there, like the welcome song and the way check-in is done at Lomani :) ….I just don’t want to spoil all the surprises.

If you are looking to relax and have a wonderful time in Paradise this is the place to go!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Lomani Island Resort? Share your experiences!