“Musket Cove Wedding” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Private Mail Bag, NAP 0352 | Nadi Airport, Fiji   |
Melbourne
“Musket Cove Wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

My (now) husband and I were married at Musket Cove in November. We chose the small jetty for the location and it was absolutely sensational. We could not have asked for a more perfect ceremony. It was very relaxed, simple and we had a ball.

The staff were gorgeous. The Fijian's have the most open, friendly smiles you will ever come across. And the Fiji Time certainly forces you to relax and settle into your surrounds.

The tide going out is a little annoying, but the pool is brilliant and makes up for the low tide when it's out. The water sports available are great fun and well worth a go.

My only recommendation to anyone considering getting married at Musket Cove (or anywhere in Fiji for that matter) is to make sure you check the quality of the photographer the resort recommends. Unfortunately, the photo's we received are appalling. Our guests have given us better quality photo's than the 'professional' photographer. After the initial devastation, the Video we had taken for family and friends who didn't attend, is rather funny to watch. It has provided a lot of laughs once people get over the shock of how bad it is. The photographer Musket Cove recommend is from Roxy Studios. DON'T let them book him for you.

Although I've bagged their photographer, the service, atmosphere and resort are absolutely brilliant and highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

I choose to stay at one of the privately owned villa - Villa Horizon managed by Musket Cove resort for 8 nights. The villa itself is pretty nice and most people are very friendly on the Island except we've unfortunately encounter two bad housekeepers whom turned out to have integrity issue and the sadest part is the management is trying to covering up the them.

I forgot to lock my suitcase on the 3rd morning before I head out for scuba diving which I didn't think its a problem since we've lock all the doors of the house and the housekeeper were the only people who got the key and come in everyday at noon time to clean the house. Upon my return w/ 2 other friends to villa horizon after our morning dives around 2pm, we realised that our house key was with another friend of our who went out for an afternoon dive. So we've no choice but asked the porter who came by to delivered our groceries to notifed our housekeeper to come up & open the door for us. James (our housekeeper) opened the door for us and I discovered that my wallet was placed differently so I checked my wallet and discovered some US$ & FJD$ were missing from my wallet. After a thorough search at the house with no sign of my disappered cash, I did report to the Management office at Musket Cove. The resort manager Mary Rose came with the porter & our housekeeper, James & Rasika. I told her what happened and wrote a statement for her. To my disappointment again, the police didn't show up as promised at noon but instead he arrived at almost 4 pm the next day. As soon as I started to give him my statement, his mobile phone rang and the GM of the Musket Cove, Joe was on the phone telling me that the detective has to leave the island and go back to the mainland immediately. I was really frustrated & furious when Joe told me I need to pay for the detective's accommdation for the night if i wanted him to stay. It all seems like a setup / coverup for me.

Besides, i advise you guys to check your bill carefully upon check out since they tend to double charge you on several occasions. Or it'll be best if you can settle everything by cash after each time you spend.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2010

I stayed here with my partner for four nights over xmas and found the resort to be beautiful and relazing. We stayed in a Beachfront Bure and it was clean and nicely decorated. We went diving for a day and this is recommended and the team are very friendly. The sea water pool is also very refreshing as you have to walk a long way out with the tide to have a swim in the sea.

The only thing i could fault is the food & service at Dick's place, slow service, overpriced and really not that nice. There are other dining options on the island that are better - we would recommend either having a BBQ at the island bar with cheap beer or Ananda's restaurant towards Plantation Island resort.

If you want a place to totally unwind & relax then i would thoroughly recommend this resort & island.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

My husband and I chose this resort for our honeymoon and couldn't have been more pleased with our choice. The beachfront bure was comfortable and had great view of the ocean. Whilst the tide does go quite a fair way out during low tide, snorkling off the sandbar (free trips run by resort) doesnt disappoint & there is also snorkling off the end of the island bar which isnt too bad. Activites run by the resort eg: island hop, dolphin/snorkle safari were alot of fun and worth while to see other islands. We hired bikes one day and rode to the other side of the island- crystal clear water and Noone there, so it was like having our own private beach for the afternoon! Service is friendly and staff learnt and addressed us by names after a few days but as with all resorts, everyone is on fiji time and service can be a bit slow, but you just got to relax and not worry! Nothing bad to comment on, only than the private dining option the resort offers is nice & romantic, the $FJ100 for just the service and set up is a bit steep. As our last day fell on the beginning of australian school holidays, the resort did get busier and there were a few more children around, but not as many as i would expect plantation island and other family orientated resorts to have, so if you are planning to go for a romantic trip, recommend this resort but try and avoid school holidays!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Bunyip, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

This was the second time we have stayed at Muscet Cove, first time in 2004, and we always vowed we would return and we did, this time with friends. We stayed in an Armstrong Villa because we liked the idea of the two identical bedrooms with ensuites.
They were better than we expected. The staff were more than freindly and obliging, just like we remembered four years ago. I would certainly recommend this resort for couples who just want to relax without the noise of kids. Plantation island is for families with children. I suggest you buy the meal vouchers when you book your holiday, you can order anything from the menus just as if you were paying. No headaches trying to budget whilst your ordering. Again we have vowed we will return. Vinaka

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Hamilton NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2009

My partner and I shared a Resort Villa with two friends and my sister, and we travelled with my partners parents who had a Lagoon Bure and "Awesome" is the word that would describe our stay at Musket Cove. The staff were great, friendly and helpful especially Joe the Resort Manager and Vasiti from the $4 bar. There is no comparision to Plantation restort it is just a different holiday there but I definately made the right choice for the holiday I wanted. For families Plantation has more activities like mini golf (don't get too excited it is a pretty average) hopscotch, table tennis etc etc and the tide doesn't seem to effect this area as much but it is a bit of a zoo with accomodation right on top of each other and people everywhere you turn. There is more of a night club thing going on there as well but for me you couldn't beat the $4 bar at sunset where you can get a Fiji Bitter for $4.50 or a glass of wine for $5 Fijian which is fantastic value and just a great place to kick back and relax after a hard day by the pool or snorkling or kayaking.... the list goes on. Put it this way you wouldn't ever get bored on this island that is the great thing about having a couple of resorts and several eating options is you have variety and I enjoyed trying different places and going to plantation for a walk and an iced coffee in the afternoon (Cocohut was good for an icey no alcoholic bevy in the arvo) but I was always glad to come back to Musket cove as it to me is just that much nicer. The seafood pizza from Coffee cove at musket cove can't be beaten made a great dinner and you can order it and they will bring it to the $4 bar so you can eat it with your ice cold beer or wine (Fantastic!!) You can relax by the pool with a good book or walk up the hills and enjoy the spectacular views. The pool at Musket cove is by far the best on the island its a large salt water pool and again it doesn't ever feel over crowded, don't get me wrong I like people and a fun atmosphere but I go to Fiji to relax and enjoy not be lying next to a hundred people on recliners with screaming kids. Mind you it doesn't matter where you are holidaying it is fairly likely you will have some families or noise of some sort it is pretty natural no matter where you are but Musket Cove has beauty and space in abundance you don't feel on top of everyone else. The tide thing is not a big deal as it still looks beautiful and there is a million other options including snorkling at the sand bar which is some of the best I have ever experienced and in the end my preference for swimming was in the pool. I have read some complaints about the tides and some other random stuff about lack of service and I have to wonder what is up with it. The minute you let Joe know something is wrong he will do what ever possible to rectify it so your stay is excellent and the issue with a cove is the sea is tidial so it will shallow out a bit and fill up again but I really didn't notice it and I am not sure what issue it would actually create but I guess it just depends on your original expectations. For my expectations my stay here was much more than I expected, picture postcard perfect and we are all planning to go back again next year. Vinaka Musket Cove I am looking forward to the next holiday.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2009

We chose Musket cove because of the good reviews and all in all we had a great time, however we had to make sure we did. About housing: the garden bures are lovely, however very close to the restaurant and plantation island (which is just along the beach). PLantation island is more a party-place with camping athmosphere and is incredibly noisy pretty much into late night. We were moved around and payed upgrade to Armstrong Island which is very lovely. Nice big balcony, own pontoon for the boat, 2 seperate bedrooms and TV and air conditioning, well worth the extra money. We did not have neighbours, so no noise there, but I can agree to the former Hammer review. THe villas are very close together and if you have obnoxious neighbours, they will ruin your vacation. Also, there is a small pool in the middle, very close to the villas and even we had obnoxious kids there during the day. THe best bet would be the beach front bures (if you do not have kids).

the staff was very friendly and Joe, the manager was the best! However , if you can avoid, it dont charge to your room. We had to watch our budget and on 3 to 4 occasions, they had charged other peoples dinners to our room!! Once, could be an accident, but so many times, I am not so sure.....they took it off immediately, but only after I noticed it! Also, the staff in the restaurant is not very good with adding numbers, so make sure, you add your bill yourself.
The watersports was fabulous...very nice, pleasant staff..we used everything, kayak, wind surf, hobie cat..the diving was heaven..the island hopping ialso extremely recommended, ask for walter, he is most wonderful! and dependable Also, if you k´know how to sail, you can rent a bar boat (withoutr skipper) 4 hours for 100 FD cheap, little boat but we had fun. It is supposedly the only place in fiji where you can rent a boat!!!
The food was ok, no special comments there.
The beach is without water in the afternoon, however the resort offers free snorkeling trips at that time and there is so much to do, we did not really notice.
On a very importatnt positi´ve note: we had a tsunami warning and the staff handled everything as perfect as can be, we were all evacuated on top of the mountain with free water and the staff made sure, all the guests were there.
Would we go back? Yes we had a lovely time, but I would book the private villas on top of the hill (no noise). also I would not charge anything to the room anymore, but just pay cash.
All in all, I would highly recommend musket cove as it does have a mountain and is a very big island. There are lovelier islands, no doubt (treasure or castaway...) but in case of emergency, it is good to know, that there is a mountain and a good infra structure and excellent staff!!! It is a an island for active people!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Been to Musket Cove Island Resort? Share your experiences!