“Wedding at Musket, 4th time visitors” 4 of 5 stars

You added Musket Cove Island Resort to your Saves list
Musket Cove Island Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   Private Mail Bag, NAP 0352 | Nadi Airport, Fiji   |
Auckland, New Zealand
“Wedding at Musket, 4th time visitors”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Firstly I would like to say that we love Musket Cove and that is why we chose to get married there (second marriages) as it is a special place for us. It was my fourth time there and my husbands second. We also had our 3 teenage kids along, friends and family for the wedding. Everyone had a great time. For my kids now 18 and 15 it was also there fourth time there (first was 8 yrs ago) and they still love it.
It is a good resort as it is well laid out and you can walk all over the place, there is a shop and Plantation is walking distance if you feel like a change.

I would love to have given them 5/5 but they need to sort out their service.

So...

The Good
Bures have all been done up since we were there. We had an Armstrong Villa which was great, 2 big bedrooms with ensuites in both, a small kitchen and a big deck over the water. Loved the bure and it was nicely done up. Saw in the lagoon bures where we stayed last time and they had been redecorated very nicely. Friends who were in those loved them.
Sun loungers around the pool were new since last there and much more comfortable.
Shop was up and running after fire and is good for supplies but did run out of stuff a bit.
Good band playing every night.
Nice atmosphere at this resort and friends all loved it. Was fun being in a group (were about 20 of us)

The Wedding
Loved our wedding and glad to have chosen there. It was well organised overall. They do a lovely bamboo wedding arch and set up chairs and flowers for the ceremony which was lovely. We paid extra for the choir which I am pleased we did. We had the table set up on the beach under the beach open bure and it looked great. Had my hair and makeup done which I was happy with. The food was very good and service at the dinner was good. The only criticism I have was that we had drinks after the ceremony at the Island Bar and bought our own champagne plus paid for whatever else people wanted. The girl at the bar had too many other people to look after so we had to pour it ourselves. As we were charged $20 per bottle corkage I think they could have put one other staff member out there for an hour and also to hand around the nibbles we ordered . We had 3 nibbles (prawns , fish cakes and pork balls ). Prawns and fish cakes were great but pork balls dry and inedible.
Would highly recommend having a wedding here,

The not so good
Had a lot of problems with service and communication. Some may be to do with staff training and/or not enough staff.
We had arranged garden bures close to the facilities for our 2 mothers who have disabilities. They tried to put Mum in a bure out the back with stairs. They gave us twin beds and tried to say that is what we booked or my travel agent did . Not the case (I rang my friend who is my travel agent and she read the last email reconfirming the bures with good access and an extra large king bed if possible for my 6'4" husband). She spent a lot of time before we went sorting out these details but we still had problems. Took 3 hours for Mum to get her bag to her new room.
The food was very hit and miss. Took 20 mins to get a drink at dinner. Brought out one friends meal 40 mins before everyone else and had to tell them 3 times that we were a table of 18 and want to eat together. Some food was cold or not what ordered. If had the buffet it was good and could then walk to bar and get drink yourself and then all ok but should not have to do this. Lunches seemed fine and the buffet breakfast which we didn't have was good others said.
Booked a table and they lost the booking.Tried to say we didn't book it.
A few of the staff had a bit of an attitude in the office and restaurant which is not good, most staff were lovely
We had an Armstrong Villa which incl breakfast packs for us to make ourselves.Had constant problems with this. First day no bread (got ourselves at shop) but second delivery of food they incl bread. Had to ask for top ups. On last day asked for a top up and never got it. We were leaving early so maybe they thought they could not bother but one of our kids was staying and wanted breakfast, bacon and juice. As it was included it should have been topped up. AS it didn't turn up I told my daughter to use my uncles prepaid breakfast as he left early too but they would not let her as they were checked out. So basically they did not provide a full breakfast on the last day.
So I felt like I was running around too much sorting things out which I should not have to.

I hope they can sort their service issues out as it is a lovely resort.

If you are thinking of getting married there do, overall we loved it!

Room Tip: Armstrong villas great for 2 couples or family. If only 2 of you go for a lagoon room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Keeler11, General Manager at Musket Cove Island Resort, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
Bula and thanks for lodging your experience. Overall it's great to read that your enjoyed your holiday and thanks for returning.
Apologies about the room mix up. FYI all rooms are configured with king size beds, which can be split into two singles. We only set the singles if requested by the agent or guest. We followed the agents instruction.
We were only made aware that your family were disabled after you arrived and did our best to relocate ASAP. Yes, we should have done better with delivery of luggage.
Sorry to hear about your service mishaps. No excuse. But I will say that when 18 people turn up requesting one table puts enormous pressure on any restaurant.
I agree on the breakfast packs for Armstrong. It's an old package and will be changed to buffet breakfast.
Thanks again, hope to see you again.

364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Nadi, Western, Fiji
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

By first entering the through the beautiful channels of reef all around you in the Malolo Cat Cater-marine the home to Musket Cove Island Resort one can't go wrong thinking that they have come to the right place.

Vast Yacht Marina welcoming on the dock of the Resort with hill side houses dotted alone the top points of the Malolo Island give a one a scene of heaven at doorstep.

With a wide rage to rooms to choose from, the best Id segguest would be the Sea-side Villas.

Food to a rage with alacarte and Buffet...with the Best Breakfast one could get..fresh bread to colorful sunny side up's truly a getaway astounding with the most friendly staff to find from.

Vinaka, Musket.

Room Tip: Rooms on the sea-side are the best as one can see the afternoon Sunset.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

We travelled here for a friends wedding in March 2013 and from the moment we arrived we were taken care of by the friendly staff. We had a beachfront bure which was absolutely beautiful, food was always amazing, drinks were cold, smiles were everywhere and the scenery is just unreal. We kayaked out to the sandbar to snorkel and it was just wonderful. We walked over the hill to the other side of the island and then back to the hotel all along the beach. We loved the fact that there are hardly any kids around. Sunsets were incredible right out front of the resort over the ocean. I did not want to leave and would highly recommend this resort to anyone!

Room Tip: The garden bure's seem to be set back a bit out of the action. The beachfront bure's are sim...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

This was our first visit to Fiji - me, husband and two kids, 11 and 14. It was just awesome ... my son (who can be a bit picky!) called it 'perfection'. It usually takes me a day or two to get into holiday mode, but in the case of Musket Cove it took about 10 mins ... we were greeted on arrival, sat down in comfortable seats at Dick's Bar, and served a delicious iced tea. Then on to our room (Armstrong Villa), which was great. Plenty of room, a private deck, two bathrooms (useful with older children), kitchen, tea, coffee etc. The air con in the bedrooms came in handy on a few nights as it did get very hot and still some evenings.

Everything is within an easy level walk. We went on two of the free snorkelling trips on different days, each to a different spot. We also snorkelled off the end of the island bar and did one of the island hopping tours which included a snorkelling stop as well. Hired bikes for a day, which was fun too, and rode around the island. Did paddle boarding one morning, and also used the kayaks, although it was a bit windy that day and husband had to tow son & kayak back to shore ... which just added to the fun.

In between all that we read books, ate iceblocks from the shop, jumped into one of the pools and generally chilled out.

Food was great, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised that the prices were so reasonable. As there isn't really anywhere else to go, it would be easy for the resort to overcharge and rip you off, but the pricing was very fair. In particular the local food at the store ... they only charged FJ$1 for an iceblock, FJ$3 for a loaf of bread, and I paid about FJ$2 for three oranges, which is very reasonable. Imported stuff costs more, but you don't really need it.

We took the breakfast option only, not the full meal package, and were supplied with plenty of bacon and eggs, bread, juices, cereals and milk. Unless you are a big eater, you don't really need the full meal option ... with the heat we often found we didn't each much for lunch (except for one day when we pigged out on some lovely wedges ...!) and then had an early dinner. Poolside setting for dinner is lovely; on the last three nights we had a pre-dinner drink at the Island Bar and watched the sunset before heading off to the restaurant. There is a different buffet every night plus a la carte if you prefer. The pig-on-a-spit buffet was the best!

Despite the resort being fully booked, nothing was ever crowded and a few times we were the only people in the pool. It is worth booking ahead for the free snorkelling though as these trips do fill quickly. Also bear in mind that these trips can be cancelled if it's too windy.

The nicest thing though was the staff ... wherever you go, you are greeted with a friendly 'Bula', everyone is very relaxed but things still get done ...it is a real skill I think to be able to get things done graciously in a timely manner without hurrying ... we 'westerners' could learn a lot from this way of living! The day we went to hire bikes is a good example, a couple of the ones we chose had flat tires, so the staff just went and got a pump, pumped up the tires and told us to take a 'test drive' to make sure we were happy. Also had a lovely chat with the lady who came to service our room one day. The staff on the snorkelling boats were lovely too.

On the day we left we had a private boat transfer booked early in the morning (as otherwise would have missed our flight home) and a staff member came with a 4WD to collect us and our bags and take us to the wharf ... we couldn't find the boat, drove around for a while and were a bit worried ... however this helpful man eventually found the boat for us ... the two crew had slept on their boat overnight and were still sleeping!! Not sure how our driver knew which boat, but certainly appreciated the help! If the same thing had happened in Sydney I would have half expected to be dumped at the wharf and left to sort it out ourselves ... And yes, we did make our flight!

All in all a great holiday - our thanks to the staff for their assistance and hospitality.

Room Tip: Armstrong villas are great if you have older children, but they are the furthest away from the main...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

From the moment we stepped off the boat we started to relax into Fiji Island
time.
Have been to Fiji several times, but first time to an Island resort. A great
place to completely unwind and forget about the stresses of work and life.
We were there during the start of school holidays but you wouldn't have
known it, the resort is well laid out and spacious and never felt busy.
Snorkelling, kayaking and cycling stopped the guilt of being in lazy mode.
You actually get time to read books and just enjoy the views. Having a
marina also adds an interesting dimension to the place, we spoke to a few
intrepid yachties sailing their way around the world. There is a store and
cafe near the marina which are very handy. The massages are also
recommended.

Room Tip: Armstrong Villas very spacious and quiet
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We travelled with a group nad had others staying in nearby resorts. We were very pleased we picked Musket Cove. The ambience was restful and unhurried even though it was school holidays.
The rooms/houses were delightful. Roomy quiet and clean. The food was great, the service for drinks was slow but we did enjoy the cocktails. We did enjoy the dinner and show. We did eat at Lomani with family staying there and this ws very nice too. Priced similarly to Musket its a goodm option, We also ate at Plantations Black Coral restaurant, Again very nice about the same price. Our family had a meal plan but the children all ate earlier and had a babysitter so all our family could eat together that night. We our family organised a charter on a big sailing boat, It was a real treat. We all caught it at Plantation jetty and we had a delightful morning cruising learning about the area and resorts we past and they took us to the best snorkelling places we had seen. They were very knowledgable and helped our children Identify the fish they saw by description and they had reference books on board. It was the highlight of our trip. We did other trips, the daily snorkelling from Musket which wasn't nearly as good or professionally organised as our cruise but a good option if you only have a short stay. We did an Island hopper which we were disappointed in. We thought we would go to Islands but we only stopped at Mana and were out for 5 hours. Overall we thought a great place to stay for our age group (Grandparents). Well done Musket Cove on the tranquility you have achieved.

Room Tip: All rooms looked good
Surfers Paradise, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My family and I recently returned from our stay at Musket Cove Resort. There was 3 groups, my parents, my brother and his 2 year and us (my husband & I with our 1 year old baby). This was the most relaxing, most peaceful holiday for us. We couldn't have been happier with the trip.

My brother's family and my family were positioned together in bures 56 & 57 and my parents were in garden bure number 53. The position of these bures were perfect for all of us. The 2 little ones had a MASSIVE lawn to run around and play on at their front doorstep. We spent ages crab hunting with the boys (you should see the size of the crab holes. So cool). And just at the edge of this lawn is the beach. What more could children want? Admittedly if your kids are a little older they may require more entertainment like a playground etc. There is a playground at Plantation Island (just 2 minute walk) which we popped over and used a couple of times. But really, our little ones were happy just to frolic whilst we took turns watching them and sitting in the shade sipping our drinks.

No shortness of activities either. I'm not certain if all packages are the same, but with our accommodation we had heaps of free activities including; snorkelling tours (2 daily), village tours, coconut cutting demonstration (we weren't fussed about going to this but were so glad we did - they made such a fuss of the boys making boats and sunglasses out of branches etc. and it was really interesting) and we had free use of kayaks, canoes, snorkel gear, etc. I would suggest doing water activities in the morning whenevr possible as the winds can pick up in the afternoon a little bit (or at least they did when we were there).

As there were 3 sets of adults we didn't have cause to use the babysitting option, however we would have done so confidently if need be. The Fijians are so wonderful with children. They just know how to hold them and what to do to make them smile. It was so refreshing to see how involved the Fijian men in particular were with the babies. Would scoop them up and cuddle them and goo and ga, it was just lovely to watch.

Buffet breakfast was also included in our package. We're not fussy eaters at all and the food was basic, but good. We tucked into a big breaky every morning and took supplies with us (cheese and biscuits etc) from Australia to snack on during the day. As anyone who has done an island holiday will be aware, island prices for simple items are dear. That's just the way it is. A little preparation will save you a fair bit. But for what we did buy there we didn't find anything too ridiculous. Same prices as Australia really. We ate most dinners in the restaurant. Again, good meals, good sizes. Between $30 - $40 FJD for a meal from memory. The staff are also brilliant musicians and perform every night (except Sundays) for guests after dinner.

Oh and make sure you indulge in a spa treatment or 2. They are amazing! The chocolate massage and the lime wrap, wow!

To sum it all up, we couldn't have been happier with the holiday. Everyone came back very miserable as we didn't want to leave (which is always a good sign) and I would recommend Musket Cove to anyone.

Oh and as a foot note, we misplaced some items we purchased from the village tour we went on. I believe I threw them in the bin by mistake. As I was devastated about losing our little trinkets, the island GM was (is) in direct communication with me about these items and has agreed to have someone re-purchase them on my behalf on the next tour out and post them to me. "After sales" service like this are what stand out in people's memories and it's a great thing to have a manager that is aware of this.

Oh, and one last thank you to one of the waitresses Lithey. She was particularly friendly and looked after us particularly well. So a big thank you to her as well.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Musket Cove Island Resort? Share your experiences!