“Beautiful island paradise” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Plantation Island | PO Box 9176, Fiji   |
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful island paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

This is the best island for a family with children ,with kids club , water slides in the pool , and a water park in the lagoon there plenty of fun ,beautiful water and sandy beaches , skip to the chase everything is great except for the meals on offer ( the buffet) and it's value , pub style food maybe not that good for $50 per person FJD (dinner ) What ever the currency it's a rip off even worse it went up from $40 pp with a blink of the eye and nothing else changed . Breakfast up to $40 pp and it's terrible ,very limited and poor quality, same everyday .when they say kids eat free , no they don't your over paying for every one . All guests that we spoke too felt the same way and some including me headed over to musket cove to enjoy a meal which was higher in quality ....room phone just used to book stuff didn't work from day 1 and still not working after telling them 4 times ( not a big deal just saying it 4 times is a pain . )over all worth a visit and a stay just don't spend any money in the buffet

• Stayed April 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (364)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Great spot for a island holiday in many ways Plantation Island is the perfect spot . The staff on a whole a fantastic friendly . We arrived on the island and where told the place is totally cash less which should be the case expect for the fact that some of the staff are looking for ways to rid you of your cash in some back hand deals.

Some examples -GOLF- Decided to have a game of golf when I went to the pro shop (tin hut ) I asked for 9 holes of golf and a cart , the bloke in pro shop asked me to pay cash because it was after 4 .00 pm , he explained that the books closed and that it was normal to pay cash after this time , funny thing was I had no cash as previously I was told as all guests where that this is a cashless island after I explained this he said it was ok to book the golf to my room .

- Surfing , will we booked a early surf at the surf booth and was told the cost would be $210 FJ for the trip and for the boat driver to wait for us as long as we went to one spot and checked the break out and surfed if we decided to look around at the other surf breaks available the cost would be $250 FJ, well we went to one spot liked it and surfed it was great but the bill was $ 250 FJ and after our trip he then said we should go past a floating restaurant called Cloud Nine which was only a short trip which it's not it was 40 minutes out of our way , turns out the Surf boat guys get a retainer for ever boat they take past Cloud Nine as after a surf its a great spot for a drink and food , but we had no cash .

Jet Ski - Well at the water activity's centre where you hire SUP , canoes and Hobbie which there are two available , we notice a broacher which advertised JET SKI hire well after some time with a staff member from Plantation Island we arranged for 3 Jet Skis to hire . AS arranged we went to the water activity's centre at 1.00 pm for our Jet Ski hire which was for 1 hour , well FIJI TIME at 1.30 pm the staff member at PLANTATION ISLAND RESORT informs us that , for safety we need to book a boat as well to meet the 3 Jet Skis at the low tide sand bar , we where at this time just keen for a ride , after some time 2 Jet Skis arrive from a other resort I think the name was the Mololo resort anyway then we got want was really happening the staff member was on a commission from the JET SKI hire guys from the other resort and was not really allowed to sell the hire of JET skis from Plantation Island Resort .

SCUBA - This was not so bad went for a dive at the pre dive briefing we where all informed that out tanks had 200 bar , I should have checked myself I didn't , but within 3 minutes of hitting the water I checked my gauges and it read 130 bar which I then told the dive master at a depth of 10 meters, well he singled me to continue my dive lucky for me my dive partner friend so at his stage I made sure he new what was going on , anyway after a bit of time I was on 90 bar which I informed first my dive partner then the Dive Master he gave me the ok signal , but at 23 meters or so I was not so ok about this anyway after some minutes I was on 40 bar and the dive for the other 6 divers was only 3/4 of the way in but at 23 meters on 40 bar I had to make the call to my dive partner now that I was on 30 bar and dropping so as per safety we did a emergency ascent from 23 meters .

And holiday and adventure all in one .

Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We went to a friends wedding & were pleasantly surprised by everything on island. Absolutely beautiful stunning!! Gr8 staff very quite & relaxing. Can't wait to go back:)) gr8 fun for kids & adults heaps to do if u want to. Gr8 experience wonderful

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Murwillumbah, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

We just had a 10 day holiday at Plantation Island and was like staying in paradise. Our first impressions coming off the cat were the super clear water and beautiful fish around the jetty. We had 2 families with 5 kids ranging from 4 to 13. All the kids had a ball with the kids club available or the older kids doing there own thing, we had the kids with us most of the time at the beach or pools. We bought the breakfast and dinner meal package and found that was fine with snacks available for lunch if need be. We food the food fine to great with alternative restaurants if required. A must is to do the coral snorkelling only 3 min away by boat and $15 fjd per person. Everything was clean and the staff are great, it's not a 5 star resort so don't expect that and if you don't like kids this may not be for. We had a ball and would coming back as soon as we can.

Room Tip: We had room 318 which was close enough and far enough from the action. One of the older bures but al...
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Plantation Island February 2011. Things were dated and some remodeling was going on at the time. It was not 5 star by any means but we came away with new friends and all our needs we're attendee to quickly. It was like being at a family place. When we eent it was their summer or the low season, only 90 people at the resort so we had lots of attention and didn't have to wait for any thing. We bought our own meals, they did offer a meal plan but we decided to play it by ear. The dive shop was professional and friendly with attention to our desires of what to see. We enjoyed the laid back approachable staff, I had conversations with the carpenter,made friends with the housekeeper and were invited to personal homes in the nearby village. The remodeling should be completed and I will go back as soon as I can. Value to us was more important than staying in the finest resort where everything is so sanitized and false. My family enjoyed Fiji but also enjoyed Plantion Island. It's worth a look and more affordable than you might think.

• Stayed February 2014
Springwood, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

The island itself was beautiful, but we had to endure constant construction work, chain sawing, hammering, sawing. We couldn't lay by the pool or beach with any peace and quiet. The food for what we had to pay for was again disappointing, we didn't go out to eat to enjoy the food but merely to feed our selves.
Our telephone in our room didn't work, the water was turned off for a full day without any one letting us know!
The drinks were overly priced especially the cocktails, no real juice was used, it was more like concentrate.
I would not recommend going here, I for sure wouldn't stay again at this resort. We did spend 4 nights at the Westin on denarau island and that was absolutely amazing!!

• Stayed April 2014
Newcastle, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Great location. Absolutely beautiful. Snorkeling and swimming was amazing.

When we first arrived, we were all loaded off the boat like sheep and kept waiting in the bar until our name was called. We were taken to our room which was very run down and looked like it was designed in the 70s. Once we unpacked we discovered that our room was right next to a construction site. After waking up to the sound of metal being cut we insisted we get moved. The customer service manager was great and tried very hard to find us a room more suitable. We eventually found a more suitable room which was an upgrade from our existing room. So much nicer and bigger. We then discovered that the nicer bigger room also comes with a price. We woke up to tractors passing our room every 5 minutes which never stopped all day, a concrete machine turning concrete all day and luckily for us the disco in the bar at night, every night with ridiculously loud music that kept my whole family awake. The food at the main restaurant was terrible. On most days they ran out of food and crockery and you had to stand around waiting for new food and crockery. The waitressing staff were clueless on what package you were on so every meal was a guessing game and long explanation. At breakfast there was no fresh variety of eggs. Your only option was a tray of rubbery fried eggs that sat there until finished and replenished with more fried eggs. After have one meal at the main restaurant we decided to not go with the meal plan and eat at other resorts restaurants. By doing that we ended up saving 50% of what we would have been charged at Plantations for a substandard meal. We ate most of our meals at Musket Cove resort and would highly recommend this resort instead of Plantations.

The kids club is shocking! It is so dirty and unorganised. I walked in on the first day and walked out. There was no way I was putting our child in that.

The maintenance around the resort was appalling. I dont know how they havent had a severe accident yet. Hot water unit pipes running along the ground from one unit to another. Electrical lights taped up with tape. Air conditioning units sitting on bricks.

All paid activities are over priced and all the staff apart from the customers service manager and the doctor in the medical centre are so miserable. Trying to get a blanket for our daughter from housekeeping was bigger than Ben Hur!

In a nutshell, if you are happy to pay too much for poor accommodation and food and put up with the loud obnoxious, in your face bogans go to Plantations

Room Tip: The bures on the Lomani side seem to be more upmarket
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Plantation Island Resort? Share your experiences!