“Not at all what we expected” 2 of 5 stars

You added Plantation Island Resort to your Saves list
Plantation Island Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   Plantation Island | PO Box 9176, Fiji   |
Sydney, Australia
“Not at all what we expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

On our trip to Fiji, we had booked four different hotels. This was by far the worst. We booked the pool side room, and not only were greeted by an extremely rude member of staff who sat down in the room and did not know the names of the restaurants around us, or gave us any information, the room was also appalling. Management claimed that they had been 'newly refurbished', which was a complete lie, there was a dirty hand print on the wall, part of the mirror was broken and the whole room was dirty. We paid the same at all the other hotels we had stayed at and got a LOT nicer for our money. I have never had to complain at a hotel before, but we had to here. There were diggers and tape just all around the resort, and the supermarket was half collapsed with rubble in, only half of it was open.
After complaining to management, and discussing the issue for three hours, we were upgraded to Lomani, which was amazing. An incredible resort. All i can say in regards to Plantation though, is you can get a lot more for your money at some of the other hotels such as Naviti. This was not at all what we expected and thoroughly disappointing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Great relaxing holiday. Very friendly people, love babies, if you take you baby you will loose them, thye love to kiss and cuddle them, but a very sweet with them our room was nice and big and kept clean. Food is not so great for what you pay, but its all you can get, Musket Cove next door have nice food nice restaurant you can go to. I had a massage and it was the worst I have had its was suppose to be 30 mins I only got 20 min and nothing too it, would not recommend. Great place for families especially with little kids not so much to do for the mature 12yrs +

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Loved Loved Loved Plantation Island Resort. We stayed in the garden buru it was clean and modern. The beach is a few meters walk away. You can borrow snorkeling gear for free. It was amazing. We went snorkeling and saw huge blue star fish as big as a main plate. I wouldn't recommend getting a massage at the resort. My friend and I got a massage and it was the worst massage I've even had. This ladies hands went very very close to a happy ending area. If you go for a short walk to the next resort Musket Cove they have an amazing day spa. They have private buru where you get your treatments down. To get the day spa you have to walk across this small grass runway. If you want to go to shop on the island you can walk up the hill next to the run way, there is a gorgeous shop on the top of the hill that over looks the whole island. We had a food package for all our meals. I would highly suggest getting this. It includes 3 courses for dinner or you can choose the buffet, breakfast the buffet and a hot breakfast and lunch the buffet or what ever you would like off the menu. Dont bother bringing shoes. You do not wear them. They have hammocks all along the beach. Water sports. No jet skiing. Day trips to islands. I suggest going on the dolphin tour. They stop the boat and dolphins swim so close to you. You also have the opportunity to go snorkeling and look at coral. The locals are very friendly. I would suggest trying cavar. It doesn't taste nice but it is an experience in it self. If you are looking at going to party. This is the wrong island. It does have a night club but this is a small room with flashing lights and music. We danced any way. One night they did karaoke. They have an great children program. They have lanterns up the beach that the kids help the locals light every night. Its fun for them. You get to have all your meals on the beach. I would highly suggest Plantation island. It is beautiful and I would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: The garden buru are fantatsic. They have 3 beds in it. But can fit four people in it. if you do go w...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Auckland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

My wife and I are not "lie all day by the beach" people and had some hesitation about our first trip to Fiji but we didn’t get bored and generally had an enjoyable time. Plantation has lots to keep you occupied and the size of the island with the ability to visit Musket Cove and Lomani and check out their facilities and restaurants opens up a wide range of things to do. Some quick points:

- The boat ride to the island and back is rather disorganised especially the luggage. Everything seems to find its way to the right place though so you just have to cross your fingers I guess.
- Check in is a bit disorganised as well. We did get a shell lei upon arrival but were supposed to get a welcome drink and when we asked about it we were told it was the bottle of water everybody got. Come on you can do better than water !
- We didn’t get a meal plan and instead tried the buffet about 3 times over the week then ate at our restaurants including Anandas (not too many people and quieter, nice atmosphere by the beach), Black Coral (not many people at all but still bit slow with the service) and at Musket/Dicks Place and the little café (good for simple lunches – pizza/burgers) and Lomani/Flame Tree (smaller place, quiet since no kids and very good service).
- Generally the food was of a pretty good standard and I didn’t see the bad quality some others have complained about.
- I am not sure you really need the buffet breakfast and lunch – we took cereal and bought milk at Ananda’s and Musket supermarkets and couple of the days we got supplies from the supermarkets and had sandwiches. Save your dollars for dinner.
- The dolphin safari was good, Sand bar snorkel had good snorkelling, shell village and school tour was interesting.
- We did the island hop and it was good to see other islands (Treasure seemed to have older facilities and was a small island with small beach, Beachcomber was the party island and again small, Mana was bigger and looked quite nice). To be honest we still thought Plantation was the best for us. Plantation definitely had a better beach than Treasure and Beachcomber with clear water and snorkelling off the beach.
- We stayed in a 1 bed garden terrace in the 200s section which was spacious but we did get disturbed by the early morning tractors and trucks. Not sure if it is quieter in some other areas.
- There are lots of kids but we found it wasn't too hard to find quiet areas and if you really want peace and quiet you can walk to kids free Lomani Resort.
- Tips: take plenty of bug spray, sun block, a torch as it is a bit dark at night in some areas especially if you are walking to the other resorts.
- You need plenty of patience with the Fiji time service. Often service is slow and a little lazy/unprofessional. I am not sure if the lack of eye contact is a cultural thing or an attitude thing.
- We had good weather all week but I am not sure what we would have down if there had been rain. There is little to do around the island in bad weather. Maybe you should take a few books, games just in case.
- On our last day we didn’t fly out till the evening so we got the early boat to the mainland and did a tour to a village and Lautoka City which is highly recommended so you can see what Fijian life is really like (outside of the resorts).

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Stayed with our 3 boys aged 11, 6 and 4 years old. Great place to take kids. Resort is located between Lomani (no kids allowed) and musket cove (more upmarket than Plantation). Plantation island resort is a 3 star resort but to be honest it doesn't really matter because the location is beautiful...they have a range of accommodation but tend to put people with kids on one side. It is a little tired (a little run down) but doesn't really matter because the sunset and beaches are beautiful. Best advice: don't do a meal plan there....take your own breakfast or buy it from either of the two supermarkets nearby. The buffet becomes an ordeal and you just can't take anymore....not the best food at all....you can easily walk to Musket cove and buy a BBQ pack (includes meat/chicken/fish salad and garlic bread) from The Trader shop and walk up to the little bar at the dock to cook your meal and have a drink while watching the sun set...fantastic. You can also order pizza at the Traders shop if you don't fancy cooking (it's ok pizza). Dick's place is nice to eat at. Didn't try Lomani's. There is also an a la carte restaurant at Plantation at the back of the main area which is nice to get away from people. The staff at Plantation are lovely and really like kids, you really get the feeling they genuinely like them which is so nice. We had a terraced room at the back of the resort which was spacious and clean and fine for 5 of us. It was a bit of a hike to the main part which meant you don't want to forget anything if heading for the pool...take all your gear ie. snorkelling, life jackets, reef shoes .

Room Tip: I would recommend a non terraced room but the terraced rooms are more modern, close to the beach but...
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Absolutely LOVED Plantation!! Had read reviews, so made up my mind to not go with any expectations...I cannot tell you how much we LOVED it!
Most beautiful destination, and cannot speak highly enough of everyone who worked at the resort, especially Mareia and also everyone at Coconut Club. Also Leah...thankyou for helping ushave the most amazing experience.
Went with out family and met lovely people. Hoping to be back next year or the year after :)

Gold Coast
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Firstly I must say that we have travelled to Fiji for the last 25 years or so. In being fair we have grown up kids now and had visited PIR twice approx 10 years ago when our children where 8-11 years of age approx. I was fortunate enough to be asked to re visit PIR/Lomani as a guest along with my husband after spending 8 beautiful days in the Yasawas at a Adults only resort. I work in the Travel Industry. I was overwelmed at the HUGE changes this place has undergone!!! Disappointing I think is a reasonable word. PIR has lost the personal touches and has grown so big that all staff are really unsure of whats going on. The food was unedible...we only had breakfast there once and refused to eat there again. As I said before we where guests and I was trying to grasp the concept of what this island is all about. Our room at PIR was OK, yes clean and sufficient. Some staff really had no idea while others did try very hard. I was fortunate enough to dine at Lomani and this was lovely. I guess from my point is that because we are now at a different time in our lives I would NOT recommend PIR for couples or even parents with teenage kids. Definetly a place for Mum n Dad with babies/toddlers and prob under 10yrs. If you are wanting heaps of kids..yes some uncontrolable/screaming and carrying on then I would say go for it. I am trying to write a honest review as I think it is important that when travelling and we have expectations of a place that we write from personal experience. As I said we are in a different phrase of our lives and I did appreciate being asked to visit as a guest which we where grateful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Plantation Island Resort? Share your experiences!