“Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Vuda Point Road, Fiji   |
california
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2006

The staff is very friendly. They go out of their way to greet you. Beachcomber is definitely a younger island. I don't think it's the island of choice for families and older people. Not that it would be a bad choice, but i'm sure there are better options.

We stayed in a dorm room that had about 10 beds. Each bed was assigned a section under the bed to lock up their belongings. It was comfortable, and the bathrooms were clean. The staff was constantly cleaning. The room aren't what one would expect. It's very nature-esque. The there is are doors or windows. Just Doorways and window openings. the floors are always sandy. no way to avoid, as everyone drags sand in with them. it was not an issue at all.

The island is very small, and only takes ten minutes to walk the perimeter. There isn't a whole lot to do, except relax. You can snorkel, kayak, and do some watersports. The island has a lot of organized activites like touch rugby and fish feeding.

The food was average. Nothing to write home about, and there was a set schedule to when you eat. Besides what they serve during the breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffet, there wasn't any other options.

The bar staff was very friendly. It decently well stocked. Drinks were reasonably priced.

Overall, we had a great time here. The experience was very unique. It's definitely not 5 star accomodations, if that's what you're looking for or expecting. I'd recommend spending one night here, two at the most. It can get old in a hurry.

• Liked — The whole island can be explored within minutes!
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay for one to two nights. Gets old quick.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2006

This resort is great if you are single or travelling without the 'romance' you would expect to see in Fiji. I wanted the experience to be relaxing, and fun without 'couples' being all lovey dovey in my face - and this was the place! I stayed in a 'delux' bure which was positioned perfectly on the beach within 10 meters of the waters edge, and also the prime spot for sunset, amazing. Don't expect 5 star resort decor and appliances as you will be dissapointed. If you are looking for a Fiji feel (without the luxuries), relaxation and fun then this is the place. The most dissapointing area was the food. Very average and if you miss out on a meal when it is served than don't expect to get anything until the next meal as the only other food you can purchase outside of meal times are chips and chocolate. Also buy water from the bar as the local water is not for drinking (discovered this at 3am hungover!) - There are also quite a few mice hanging around the eating area. Watersports were great, quite pricey overall but they don't mind going overtime without the charge. People are friendly. It is going to be remembered indefinitely.

• Liked — the tradition fiji feel and locaton
  • Disliked — old appiances and decor
  • Tips/Secrets — travel here if you are looking for fun
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

We had a referral from the tour desk at our resort that this was a good island to take the family to for a day. But when you're staying at one of the best resorts in Fiji and end up at a dumpy backpackers - the gap is pretty wide. The beach smelt and had a lot of flies swarming around which gave the impression that something rotten had been buried there. The food was inedible, the worst I have ever had anywhere. The service was non-existent and the staff at the water sports area all seemed like they were stoned. The equipment used was old and I have to wonder how hygenic the snorkling gear was.
This was the day from hell which cost us a fortune and put a real dark cloud over what was perfect holiday. If I new what I know now, I wouldn't go anywhere near this place.

• Liked — N/A
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Tips/Secrets — Choose another island
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Beachcomber Island hotels

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2006

My two friends and I stayed at Beachcomber for 3 nights before moving on to a 5 star resort on the main island.
After comparing the experiences between a budget and 5 star accommodation, there are many points of Beachcomber I took for granted. I regret not enjoying my time there enough, I was just wanting to go to the resort.
Anyway, at Beachcomber, I knew I couldn't do the whole communal shower thing and people talking whilst i sleep (in a dormitory style accommodation) so the three of us unanimously agreed on a private bure (it was cheaper than one night's stay at the resort). Literally, the beach was right outside our front porch. (When it rained heavily, we just drank and yarned on that porch) I miss that porch.
Beachcomber's beach is a beautiful beach for one of the inner islands. I didn't enjoy it enough thinking the resort would also have a private beach- which we found later it did, but pretty gross.
What I found to be most convenient was that you didn't have to worry about food and paying for it. Because it's all inclusive, all you have to do is listen out for the drums three times a day and line up in the cafeteria for a variety of food! The only downside is, that you have to eat when those drums go off. There are toasted sandwiches and snacks at the bar to purchase if you wanna miss a meal or like to sleep in (because brekkie is @7am).
The drinks you have to pay for but believe me when I say this- after the currency conversion, it's as cheap as chips. I seriously regret not drinking more! (Gotta try the local brew-Fiji Bitter and Gold- no hangovers)
I did alot of hanging out doing nothing during the torrential rain, so I took advantage of some of the activities (which i made sure I had money for). I chose to go for a bundle deal for parasailing (awesome-recommend taking a friend up to talk to & share the excitement with) and jet skiing (going solo without a licence is only a fantasy in Melbourne). There was alot more saving in that. It was supposed to be a 15min jetski ride, but i didnt' have a watch on me & ended up staying out there thrashing the waves for 40 mins! And the activities guy wasn't worried!!! I think the only reason people were't into the activities was because it seemed expensive.
The island is very much for the young and the young at heart. On weekends, gotta hit the bar for mingling with people from around the world (although I did take more interest in the male staff...). There's mostly Aussies from Syd/Bris/Melb, Brits, Kiwis and Americans. I did meet great people from Austria, Ireland and Canada. It's funny because the staff (Fijian boys) are happy to flirt when they're on shift, but as soon as the shift's over at 1am- they disappear like lightning!
The only thing I got sick of was the sand. Everywhere is sand, I just wanted to walk on some grass or concrete or something else besides sand! (I have extra sensitive feet)
I am soooo going back there!

• Stayed November 2005
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

Well I was at Beachcomber many years ago (about 16 yrs ago) for my very first overseas holiday without family. I am so glad to hear that it hasn't changed.

I went with a friend and we shared a bure. We had the best time and it was such a party island I didn't want to leave. We met so many people from all over the world and had a lot of fun with all the entertainment at night. The island is small but that was fine.

I wonder if a guy called "Gerry" still there? I would be interested to hear if he is still there and entertaining everyone with his guitar and singing. I highly recommend Beachcomber to all the young people out there that want to party and have heaps of fun and meet lots of people from all over the world. Go parasailing and take your camera - fabulous! I would love to go back one day!

• Stayed June 2002
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2006

This was my second trip back to Beachcomber & again i loved every second there the layed back atmosphere & of course "Fiji Time" it's the best way to unwind & let all your troubles go. This island is for the young at heart & lives up to it's party island reputation with entertainment every night from the band, Polyenesian dancers, limbo, crab racing, Meke, viking race & of course who could forget the famous BULA Dance. The Fijian people make you feel welcome & like it's your own home so you become like part of the furniture. Massages are worth while as the many extra activities such as parasailing, kayaking over to Treasure Island & the sand bar & the seasafari cruise & island hopping where you can see the island where they filmed "Cast Away" with Tom Hanks. I am currently looking into my third trip to Beachcomber Island & would reccomend it to singles, couples & young people who like to meet people & of course to PARTY.

• Stayed January 2006
RI, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

We loved Beachcomber! It is certainly a young island... not really a family destination. But the accommodations were great for the price, it was very clean, the activities were fun, the beach is wonderful, the food was good and the staff were lovely. Be aware that they do charge extra for most activities (jetskis, kayaking, etc.) although there are excellent free snorkeling trips. It's a fun island... a relaxed place with a nice bar and music at night. We hope to go back.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Beachcomber Island Resort? Share your experiences!