“A place to recharge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Papageno Resort Fiji

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kadavu Island
Papageno Resort Fiji
You added Papageno Resort Fiji to your Saves list
Kadavu, Fiji   |
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Kadavu Island
“A place to recharge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

The food is great, such a wonderful place to getaway and recharge. I attended a friend's wedding and stayed for 4 nights. I will definitely be returning one day for another respite :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2011

Sun drenched beach. turquoise waters, swaying palms, absolutely beautiful setting!
We are avid travellers, and Papageno's was reccomended by friends, and.... wow!.. i don't think that words alone can describe such a stunning and friendly place. great food, a beautiful Bure,the staff unreservedly befriended us, making our trip so enjoyable, we are making plans to visit next year with friends.
It is fairly remote, which makes it even more attractive for those who have never experienced a totaly Eco friendly resort, far from the beaten track,... it does'nt get any better than this!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Annandale, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

After spending 2 weeks volunteering at the Dilkusha Children's Home in Nausori, Fiji through Projects Abroad, I was looking forward to four days of rest, relaxation and pampering before returning to my demanding job as a public high school counselor in Northern, Virginia, USA. I also wanted something that was all inclusive, peaceful and beautiful. Extensive internet research convinced me that Papageno fit the bill.

As a solo traveler, I found the staff and the locals to be friendly and attentive. I took advantage of opportunities to get a massage, to visit Daku village, Vunisei District school, the Viseisei school up the road from the airport, to tour the resort grounds, to take warm solar powered showers, and to hike up to the resort's small waterfall. I was not successful obtaining cell phone reception so I passed the time reading through the resort's magazines and books in its small library, standing midcalf in the water (it was too cold to my taste for swimming during their 'winter') while the curious fish circle and nibbled me, lying in a hammock guarded by my personal rescue dog Freddy, trying to catch a glimpse of the wild parrots and other wild life (boars, etc. , napping, or just enjoying their wholesome meals and snacks.

My favorite memories of my stay at Papageno was:
drinking kava with the village spokesperson and villagers at Daku,
learning about Kava production-chief export of Kadavu,
touring Daku village and just talking with the people-I was not interested in scuba diving to see the giant clams,
playing games with the children at the Vunisei district school (they have solar panels but no computers HINT, HINT),
drinking kava with the men and getting them to sing a song for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcoLidks5_0
reaching Papageno's waterfall after a challenging hike,
touring the grounds, gardens, and the impressive physical plant of the resort,
having a seaside garden bure all to myself,
having a waiter (Civo and Saloti) to cater to my dietary whims,
fresh, organic food

My only regret is that I was not able to experience the gospel singing at Sunday services, to take the weaving class or to see the manta rays. Maybe next time around. A family of four shared the island with me during my short stay, but except for meal times, I only saw them in passing. I would recommend that a solo traveler bring along a laptop, musical instruments, and some reading material (which can be donated to the resort's library afterwards), hire a staff member to accompany them on the demanding and long hike to the waterfall because the diving, kayaking, watersports, ping pong, etc. did not particularly appeal to me. I would also have liked to have brought along some toys and educational materials for the school and village. I wish they would also install a dock at the Kadavu airport and the resort so that you don't have to get your feet wet traveling to and from the various attractions. The staff gathered to wrap a flower necklace around my neck and to serenade me with their gloriously harmonious rendition of the farewell song Isa Isa.

Papageno, I bid you aloha and hope to see you again during YOUR summer months!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2011

We had a great time. There are only 12 bure with only 10 guests there when we stayed. We were picked up from the airport by boat - no roads, well not where we stayed.

The resort is near a village - the villagers work at the resort. Everyone is very friendly and helpful. Annalise is a paramedic which was useful for our friend who had back pain.
A doctor / hospital is a long way away.

The resort has a few boats that can take divers to the Astrolabe Reef or snorkelling nearby which is what we did. A fantastic place for wildlife. Saw the four rare bird species only to be found on Kadavu - they were all seen in the garden.

We walked up to the waterfall and felt like we were being followed but it was only the barking pigeon that seem to be everywhere.

Saw a sea krait near the beach - they don't look dangerous!!

The resort has kayaks which we used often.

A really great place to stay. The food is very tasty.

If you don't feel like the beach - there is always the pool room, library or just enjoy the spacious bure.

This is an eco resort which is great to see.

Thanks Annalise and Elisabeth.

Room Tip: Any of the bure are wonderful - doesn't matter which one you pick.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
northcoastoz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

We took a group of 17 yoga students to Papageno this May. Everyone was thrilled to be in such a perfect environment to practice yoga. The atmosphere was peaceful in the bures and in the yoga room, not to mention the gardens and the ocean! We loved the delicious food and the happy staff who prepared and served it. People are already asking me when we will go back, so I had better get onto Elisabeth pronto and book for next year.
Elisabeth made sure that all our needs were met; scuba diving, visiting the village to hear gospel singing, Kava and mece ceremony with the staff, with whom we became friends, we felt very appreciative of the care and attention given to us and our group.

Room Tip: All the bures are stylishly decorated, spacious and comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Wasilla, Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

we loved our stay at Papagenos!! the staff was always friendly. The food was excellent and way more than we could ever eat.The veiw from our room was beautiful.We got up eary in the morning to watch the sun come up and in the evening we watched the sun go down. We have never seen such beauty.We loved the staff and made frieds with them all of course we did have our favoriets but loved them all.Elizabeth and Lydia were so kind to us and always asked id we were happy or needed anything.The walk to the waterfall was hot so be sure to bring plenty of water.TO go snorkling is just a fwe steps away from shore. We used the gear the resort had. We were able to see many beautiful fish coral and so much more.We both would love to go back to Papagenos.There was a fwe days of choppy seas so we played cards and read, after all that is what we were ther for rest and relaxation. Nap in your room or plop yourself in a hammock let the warm sun and cool breeze put you to sleep I sure did, man I think I need another vacation thinking of it!!Pam and Rick Scates

Room Tip: book early so you can get the ocean veiw it is the best we think.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I need 24 hour electricity to power the fans. Many of the resorts in Kadavu such as Matava, Matana, Waisalima has a restricted window period where the power is on. Even if the bures are right on the water, there is no assurance that sea breezes will blow. At comparable rates, Papageno gives better value for money. I stayed 8 nights at Papageno which I consider too long. I would recommend 5 nights for future guests. The location is close to Kadavu airport, in between the eastern end of the island where Nagigia island resort is and the western end of the island where Waisalima is or the northwestern end where Ono resort is located. I was able to travel to Nagigia island resort for 1 day to enjoy the breathtaking views and dived at a site called Nabukelevu. This is at the base of a volcano and experienced to the surf conditions but the fish life is very good with shoals of trevallies and barracudas; but the size of these shoals is still smaller compared to the ones I have seen in the Vatu-i-ra passage and Madang resort (PNG). Nonetheless, I would recommend a dive at Nabukelevu. The dive at a site called Cabbage patch is average. I also spent 1 day at the Naqoro passage: fast currents and unpredictable fish life. Another day was spent diving near Ono island and snorkelling with the mantas. Please note that this is not a hardcore dive resort. The true blue dive resorts are Matana, Matava, Waisalima, Mai Dive. If you stay at Matava, you are not close to Nabukelevu and also a distance from Naqoro/Ono dive sites. Matana and Papageno are centrally located which allows you to travel in either direction. I also spent 1 day hiking to the Naikorokoro waterfall. The treks are slippery and the fall was not as nice/majestic as those in Taveuni. Regretted that outing. I was given a West facing room in the Royal Bure. If you can, choose an East facing room as it will not get hot in the afternoon. Bring a torch light with you to walk to the dining area at night as the compounds are not very well lit. Because there are so many plants between bures/buildings, it does cut off quite a fair bit of light especially in the dining area and also makes drying of clothes challenging. Also note that the bay does not get sunset views from the beach. The food on offer is mostly delicious, home-cooked and sufficient. Most memorable for me are the pineapple, guava, berry jams all home-made. The website indicates that juices are available the whole day but these are mainly garden-derived lemon juice. Previous reviews commented that it is difficult to swim during low tides. I disagree. During low tide, you simply walk farther out. If you are kayaking in front of the resort early in the morning when the tide is slow, you may come across a resident turtle that feeds on the sponges. Just pay attention to splashing sounds.
A tip when staying at Kadavu. Make sure that you do not have an international flight on the same day when you fly out from Kadavu to Nadi/Suva. The domestic connections can be unreliable. I would recommend that resort staff ensure that their guests are checked into flights before leaving them at the airport.

Room Tip: Stay longer and get an upgrade.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Papageno Resort Fiji? Share your experiences!