“`Fantastic place , very hard to fault.” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Free room upgrade
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kadavu Island
Bendigo, Australia
“`Fantastic place , very hard to fault.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Stayed at Matava fishing for 8 nights, certainly the best all round experience I have had in many years. Staff led by Maggie at the resort are the friendliest people you could ever hope to meet. Real people who go out of their way to make your stay one to remember.
Food is all very fresh and presented extremely well ( considering this is an eco resort) .
I f you are after noise, nightlife, bright lights and a 5 star hotel this is not for you.
However if its peace and tranquility with amazing views, crystal clear water where you can sit back and have a quiet drink and chat with fellow travellers you will not be disappointed. The fishing led by Adrian and his deckie Joe aboard their game boat "Bite Me" is world class, nothing is left out in their quest to help you catch your targetted species. You can be assured if you dont take your own rods and tackle the gear they provide is as good as you could possibly get, from heavy tackle right down to custom made ultra light gear.
Overall a beautiful place, and the hosts (Richard and Adrian) work very hard to make it a trip to remember.
The only bad thing is that you eventually have to leave and come home.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2010

I'm not sure where to start. Everthing they promised was true. i am not a ritzy big resort kind of girl, i like low impact, away from it all places and oh my, what an amazing place this is. And i must say the few criticisms i did read made me chuckle and want to go there even more. walking thru the mud at low tide was all part of being in touch with the rythms of the sea and land. we were greeted by maggie, the magical host with the most .dined everynite on incredible food [don't worry about going hungry here!] with owner richard and the small group of interesting and fun guests. I admire the commitment to solar power and hurricane lanterns.The super comfy simple bures had all i needed, although you shouldn't spend too much time in them, there is too much to explore. The early breakfast drum tells you it's time for a huge breakfast.then it's off to dive the great astrolab!! the dive staff was professional, safe, and just super fun. Richard took us out one day, what a treat! took a little kayak jaunt led by george to a local village for lunch. George was so much fun and told us all kinds of kandavu history and intrigue. Did some solo hikes with squacking parrots. Village visits with crazy boys jumping from 60 foot rocks around the waterfall. more food, more diving, good wine, laughter and a common love of the sea. We loved everything about matava. can't find a single bad thing to say. i want to go back!!!! Vinaka

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Matava is the perfect place to experience the beautiful part of Fiji that is Kadavu.

The location is great, overlooking the lagoon and then to the outer reefs in the distance.

The friendly atmosphere created by the owners and the incredible staff (led by the incomparable Maggie) feels just right and the communal dining tables allows a relaxed, informal interaction with the other guests over the fresh and varied food.

The Bures are reasonably simple but very nicely done with decent amenities (lights, running water, proper toilet, shower etc.) considering that it is an eco-resort and very remote.

There is plenty to keep you as active or inactive as desired. Snorkelling is great between the resort and nearby island and others guests said the diving nearby is 1st class. Other activities include boat trips, private beach picnics, surfing and a real highlight of visiting the nearby school, village and waterfall.

The island of Kadavu is a window into the Fiji of the past, untouched by many of the historical colonial influences or present political contrivances.

We really cannot recommend Matava enough if you are looking for something different and beautiful. Set your expectations accordingly (remembering it is an eco-resort and a long way from anywhere) and you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Auckland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I'm a bit of a lazy reviewer and this resort deserves more than I will be able to write so I recommend you read "rbittman's LOVE MATAVA - Can't wait to return!” review below as I think they sum up the place pretty well and the review gets a big thumbs up from me :o)

Whilst it takes that little bit extra effort to get to Matava compared to the mass produced beach holiday resorts in Fiji's Mamanuca Islands it is well worth the effort. The added bonus of this is that you find a great mix of the 'more adventurous' and interesting traveller at Matava. The boat ride from Kadavu Airport was a great introduction to the island, although be prepared to get a bit wet if the weather isn't good.

The resort is the flashest Eco-resort I've stayed at and it offers a very high standard of food. The international menu changes daily and incorporates fresh local ingredients - I never got bored. The dining area is well presented and I really enjoyed the communal eating arrangements as it gives the solo traveller the opportunity to mix with other guests. You know you're going to be OK when the owners sit down to eat with the guests.

The accommodation is of a high standard taking the form of traditional thatched Bures, but with the added luxury of polished wooden floors. In my bure there was a Double bed (with mosquito net), ensuite toliet/shower room with hot water, wardrobe, table and chairs, in-room electric safe and large balcony / deck. Eco-resort or not I was very impressed. What's more impressive is that the resort produces most of its electricity via solar power and water is sourced from its own spring. Whilst there are no electricity outlets in the bures a communal charging area is available in the main building which is supplemented by a generator if the solar isn't sufficient.

Obviously as this is a remote Eco-resort surrounded by native bush you can expect to share your accommodation with a few bugs. Mosquito coils and the mosquito net around the bed worked well for me. Gecko's in the bathroom - who cares? They're great to watch and they eat the bugs. Just don't leave food in your bure as it will attract rodents from outside... common sense. You can't expect to get this close to nature without having to live side by side with it. I loved it.

I was primarily there for diving on the Great Astrolabe reef. This proved to be fantastic. I managed to see 5 or more different Manta Rays at Manta Reef which was an amazing experience, although don't expect them to be there every time - they're wild animals and there's no guarantees. Other dive spots provided an array of different inhabitants and I even enjoyed the free shore diving right in front of the resort, which whilst the visibility wasn't great allowed me to practice my Macro photography. The snorkeling in front of the resort was also great with sea grass turning into coral reef the further out you go. There's no golden sandy beach, but if you feel the need to sunbathe there is a wooden deck on the sea front... I hate sunbathing - why waste your time when there's so much sea life to see?

I really felt part of the Matava family by the time I left and I would love to go back in the future.

Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Carmel Valley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

The friendly attentive staff at Matava work hard to ensure that you get what you want out of your vacation. Kadavu is a very remote and unspoiled island, so if you require your diving punctuated with couple's massages and margaritas at the pool, please stay in Cozumel! Excellent corals and fish too numerous to mention, good visibility and easy access to the reef make this a perfect spot for the person looking for something more than just a 'dived out' reef, or a view of other divers.

Good snorkeling from the main dock, hiking and kayaking are available. Next time we go we plan on bringing surf boards as the outer reef had superb waves, easily accessible by boat (the resort staff will take you for a small fee). Bring an old pair of lace up shoes if you want to hike as the paths are fairly rugged, a light rain coat would also be a good idea in case it rains while you are on the boat. I had some trouble with mosquitos, but have since learned that a prescription of high dose Vitamin B taken before and during the trip is the best defense.

Great food and a well stocked bar complete the day. We will definitely return to Matava.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Matava is very much a premier eco friendly adventure resort, completely geared for Diving and Fishing enthusiasts in particular. If you want to get away from mobile phones, internet and TV, and experience amazing reefs, great diving and snorkling and game fishing maddness, this is the place. The accomodation is very clean, limited power and extremely friendly warm staff to assist in making sure your time at Matava is a unique experience and enjoyable. If you are looking for relaxing by the pool, stay on the mainland!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

I really don't know where to start writing because it was such an amazing trip from beginning to end! The trip to get to Kadavu was so much fun in itself....the plane ride from nadi to kadavu took me over the beautiful islands and ocean and the boat ride to the resort was exciting watching fish jump out of the clear waters. Before I arrived, I have to admit I was a little worried about how I would fit in because I was travelling alone, but once I met the friendly staff at Matava, I knew I had nothing to worry about! They were the most welcoming, friendliest, and most caring people! Not to forget that they have a great sense of humour too! The main bure where the meals are served brings all the guests together which was a great way to meet other travelers and I had the most enjoyable time exchanging fun conversations with both guests and staff. The food was the yummiest and it was so good that I couldn't leave anything behind on my plate despite the huge servings! I would go back even if it were just for the food! The diving was spectacular and very well organized. The coral was beautiful and there were so much to see including sharks, turtles, and rays (sorry I'm not very good with my fish and sea creature names)....I was very lucky that I got to see 3 mantas even without visiting the manta reef! I am not a very experienced diver but the knowledgable instructors, divemasters, and boat drivers made me feel very comfortable and I enjoyed the diving a lot. There is also lots to do in the afternoon after diving such as snorkeling, kayaking, and hiking if you want to find something else. One of my favorite activities was when the staff took me to visit the waterfall in the village nextdoor. I could go on and on and brag about my time at Matava but I think I will stop here as I'm missing the place already! A super big thank you to the wonderful staff at Matava and I hope to be able to visit again someday!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to Matava - Fiji's Premier Eco Adventure Resort? Share your experiences!