“Terrible.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Near Fort Benning

You added Quality Inn Near Fort Benning to your Saves list
Quality Inn Near Fort Benning
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   1700 E 280 Bypass, Phenix City, AL 36867 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Phenix City)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Phenix City
epicfail
“Terrible.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

I paid for my hotel room through Travelocity. When I arrived at the hotel, I checked in and everything was as planned. I stayed two nights, checked out, got on my plane and came home. I checked my bank account and was charged $116.96 by the hotel. I called the hotel to have it corrected, she was glad to help. Checked my account again, it was not fixed, they had charged me twice. I called again, talked to the same woman who denied charging me again. She told me to wait and it will go away. I waited a few days unable to use my bank account. When I checked again, I was credited 116.96, and the second charge went through anyway. I've asked to talk to management multiple times, and management seems not to exist.. Still waiting for them to correct it.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
south carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

we booked this hotel via the so called manager (renee) after speaking with this person on the phone we were promised a suite for $48.00 per night as well as meeting space. they did honor the rate but all of a sudden the suites were all booked even though the website stated there were 3 available. we never got the meeting space as it was booked also. after spend 2 weeks there we were told we had to check out because the hotel was booked for the weekend and our rate was to low.. another guest showed me his reciept for $40.05 rate per night.. this is the worst choice hotel i have ever seen!!! stya here and you will want your $48 back....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
north metro-ATL, GA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2009

I chose this hotel because it was about $40 less than any of the others in the area, and it was a recommended hotel of the Aflac Outdoor Games (as listed on their website), for which we were visiting the area. I called the hotel the morning we left home to confirm they were dog friendly. I was told "no". The clerk quickly recanted when I said that according to the Aflac Outdoor Games website, on which they were listed, they were dog friendly, and was told, "if you're coming for that event, we are." I then asked if the facilities where the event itself was being held was dog friendly, and was told "yes", which we found out upon arrival that not to be the case. So now we have driven three hours for an overnight trip, bringing our pet, based on incorrect advice! {Fortunately, one of the competitors who ONLY happened to be in the lobby when we checked in due to the hotel over-booking, offered for us to leave our dog with him while we were at the grounds the next day}. .

First impression of the young man working the desk when we checked in - very courteous, professional, and calm - diligently working to resolve the problem with the over-booking. He overcharged me by $20, but corrected it quickly when I brought it to his attention. That impression changed drastically later in the evening. Also, I wanted to speak to a manager concerning the mis-information I'd been given that morning but was told there was not one there - rather disconcerting considering the major event going on that weekend

When we went into our room, the first thing we noticed was that housekeeping had not cleaned the coffeepot. Nor had they emptied the refrigerator. We also found a piece of gum next to the TV. So - a big thumbs down on the housekeeping. There were also a couple (that we saw) of bugs in the room - no surprise considering the 1/4" gap at the bottom of the door!

The hotel did have a restaurant, where we decided to have dinner. The service was mind-numbingly slow, and it was not crowded at all! The food was very good, considering the source....I will give them credit for that. Unfortunately that's the only positive thing I have to say about this hotel. We later found out that there was only one cook that evening (Friday night), although they were supposed to have two, and because of that they, "should not have put the all-you-can-eat shrimp on the menu as the special". Since it was so slow to get more shrimp, and the kids were restless, I took them back to the room, we changed into swimsuits, and went to the pool, adjacent to the restaurant patio.

After paying the bill at the restaurant, my husband was to join us. We became concerned when he didn't join us shortly, so went to the room only to hear him pounding on the bathroom door, trapped inside due to a broken doorknob. I went to the lobby, where the clerk who was previously very attentive was more interested in his personal phone call. After several minutes, I interrupted him, told him my husband was stuck in the bathroom, then waited several MORE minutes as he CONTINUED his personal phone call which I guess was a higher priority than tending to an entrapment of a guest.

He then reluctantly got off the phone and lackadaisically said he would "have to call maintenance". I hurried back to our room to tell my husband this, although had no timeframe in which we could expect someone to arrive. My husband was trying to figure a way out on his own, and managed to jimmy the door open with a piece of tubing he had taken off the towel rack and flattened on one end. A few minutes later, he called the front desk to cancel the maintenance call, got no answer, and walked up to the lobby to tell them in person, only to be told, "the dude never called me back". So, not only do they not have a manager on duty, they don't have maintenance staff on-site either.

After spending half of the night listening to people run back and forth in front of the rooms and yelling until about 3 am, we finally got some sleep. I called and arranged for a late check out at 8:30 that morning, but that did not prevent housekeeping from coming by the room TWICE while we were still there! And oh, yeah - as a final courtesy, they deactivate your room key before you check out so you can be further inconvenienced if you dare leave your room for breakfast or to load your belongings into your car before you are ready to leave for good.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
TownHallMom, General Manager at Quality Inn Near Fort Benning, responded to this review, June 29, 2009
After reviewing your message, I want to sincerely apologize for the way you were treated at my hotel and the level of service you received. This is not standard at all and in fact, had I not been working the Aflac Outdoor Games myself, I would have been here to handle your issues directly. The housekeeping and front desk problems were completely unacceptable and I want to thank you for bringing those to my attention. In the future, should you choose to stay at this hotel again, I assure you that I will personally do everything I can to correct the deficiencies of your previous stay. I only wish that I would have had the opportunity before you left.
Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2008

After an attempt to stay at a Holiday Inn in Columbus, (place was filthy. Had to leave) My husband, daughter-in-law and I checked into the only hotel in the area with vacancy. The Quality Inn and Suites in Phenix City, AL. There is nothing of QUALITY or "suite" about the place. We arrived just prior to midnight. Exhausted, we found our way to the room. When opening the door there was the smell of bug spray in the air. The room appeared clean at first but after further inspection we realized it was not. Several bugs of various sizes decided to join us for our stay. We were forced to stay for two days as there were no other hotels in the area with vacancy.

The first night I found bugs in the refrigerator on the microwave and climbing the walls. We carefully inspected the beds before climbing in. We woke the next morning and the little creatures appeared to have gone on. We decided to head to the pool to relax when we discovered the pool light had detached and was hanging from the cord, floating on the service. The light was still attached with electrical wires. My husband notified the staff and was told they would immediately look into it. Of course nothing was done.

The second night in the hotel our bug friends decided to come back and "hang out"! Bugs on the walls and night stand. In fact, there was a bug inside the face of the alarm clock, alive just checking things out. I had to wage battle with the bugs prior to bed. A full out war resulting in the successful kill of three.

DO NOT STAY HERE. If you have no choice ask to stay on the second floor and keep any young females away from the drunk construction workers coming in and out of the bar. This is not a place for families or young women to stay especially if you don't want to share your bed with bugs.

• Liked — It was a place to lay my head if you didn't mind sharing your pillow with bugs
  • Disliked — All of it!!!!!!
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Philadelphia pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2008

Of course I did my homework first and read the reviews on Tripadvisor before booking this hotel. There are hotels and motels wherever you turn in this area. Phenix City is only a stone's throw from downtown Columbus Ga and Fort Benning.

We were in town for my nephew's graduation from infantry school at Fort Benning.

The grounds of this property are well maintained and secure, by that I mean they have hired security patrolling, mainly at night. This signifies to me that in the past there were issues but they are proactive about it. Enough so that we were very comfortable sitting in one of the pavillions even late at night.

The housekeeping staff did a good job of preparing the rooms each day. The hotel is older but recently went through a makeover. Only complaint with the rooms is that the bathrooms are tiny. But the beds are comfortable. The breakfast each morning is a ful breakfast on styro or paper plates but well prepared. There is also a bar and restaurant and the people working there are friendly and make you feel welcome. Kristen and Theresa (bartenders) were great!

I would recommend this hotel out of the many in the area.

• Liked — Pool and pavillion area are well maintained
  • Disliked — Small bathrooms
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Madison, Al
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2008

I headed down to Ft Benning to meet my Brother, just 1 day back from Iraq! Without reservations, we ended up staying at the Quality Inn on Victory drive. Tropical Depression Fay was bearing down on the area long before my 1:00pm arrival in town and due to the storm, the hotel had sporatic power loss and our room was one of the first affected. During the outtage, the front desk receptionist bent over backwards to find us an acceptable room, which wasn't easy given the scope of the problem. Power was restored hotel wide later that night!
The next morning, we headed down to a pretty good breakfast and a friendly staff!
For the price, I wouldn't stay anywhere when visiting Ft Benning! I highly recommend this hotel!

• Liked — Freindly staff!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MECHANICSVILLE,VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2008

My family stayed here for my son's graduation from Ft Benning in June of 2008We wanted a hotel close to the base and to major roads and restaurants. Quality Inn met and exceeded our needs. The free hot breakfast was awesome. The staff was great the rooms were very comfortable and clean. If you are looking for a place to stay for your son's graduation. I would recommend quality Inn.

• Liked — Staff and the breakfast
  • Disliked — The room could have been a little bigger
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Quality Inn Near Fort Benning? Share your experiences!