“Prejudiced against the disabled.” 1 of 5 stars

You added Oak Mountain Lodge to your Saves list
Oak Mountain Lodge
1902 Montgomery Highway South, Pelham, AL 35244   |
Birmingham, AL
“Prejudiced against the disabled.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

I tried to stay there in May of 2008 but was refused. I stayed there a few years back, while relocating - as I am doing again, and overlooked the poor conditions because it was only to be for a few weeks to months while I found a home. As is the case now. When I stayed before, they asked me to leave because of my Service Animal. When I refused, they withheld housekeeping and maintenance. I only went back because I needed a temporary location - not by choice, but, they refused me a room --- remembering me as the "disabled lady with a dog"! When I pointed out that is against Federal Law, I was told that it "doesn't matter"!!! Apparently, U.S. Law does not apply to them. Furthermore, the laundry room is poorly located, the parking lot is set up inconveniently, and, there were always men loitering outside, drinking alcohol, and saying lewd things. Not a good family location nor a place a woman would want to stay while traveling alone.

I usually have something nice to say about everything/everyone but I am at a loss this time...no redeeming qualities that I have witnessed. It's just a horrible place.

• Liked — Cannot think of anything good there.
  • Disliked — Prejudice against the disabled.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
sumter, sc
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2007

Oak Mountain Lodge formerly known as the Suburban Lodge - is disgusting.

It is clear that it is not properly cleaned at all and also that the staff there are aware of this and either cannot afford to pay for the cleaning or do not care, I suspect the latter as you will see below. Firstly all advertisements for this hotel mention a kitchen in the rooms. To call what was in there a "kitchen" requires a giant leap of the imagination. This so called kitchen consisted of two dirty heating rings and a filthy microwave. That’s it. No silverware. No cups, glasses, plates, pots or pans - nothing. In addition the tiny food preparation area was covered in a sticky substance flecked with hair that looked like jam but I could not be sure. Clearly though this had not seen any kind of attention as far as cleaning goes. Already quite disgusted I continued to look around the rest of the room. I could easily smell mould in the air and this was because the windows are surrounded by it. Mould and gunk about 1cm thick lines the base of the window where it slides open. To my horror I found two used cotton buds covered in ear wax lying in the groove where the window opens nestled in the filth. The small table propped against one wall was dusty and sticky also having not been cleaned in quite some time. After a start like this I shuddered at the though of crawling between the threadbare sheets of the sagging bed. I could never bring myself to get in this bed - and could not possibly imagine sleeping there with my girlfriend. I gingerly peeled back the sheets holding my breath in anticipation of what I might find. At this stage I was beginning to feel sick. I went downstairs to the office, faced the attendant and the 7 or 8 clearly visibly "No Refund" signs surrounding him, and demanded that they give me a full refund. The thought of having them pocket almost $200 of my limited funds in exchange for 3 nights this neglected hovel was beginning to make my blood boil. After protesting their no-refund policy for several minutes, the attendant finally caved in and agreed to come and see the room. It quickly became clear after he gave the room only the most cursory of glances that he was not interested in discovering the state of it at all. Already aware that it was filthy, he was only interested in ensuring that I had left it untouched so that he could rent it out to someone else. Finally, I got refunded and couldn't get out of there quick enough.

• Liked — the refund
  • Disliked — the filth
  • Tips/Secrets — Never stay here.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2005

I traveled to Birmingham Al for two weeks for work related issues.
I was pleasantly surprised at the Oak Mountain Lodge.
While this is a budget property it is in good condition.
The rooms were basic but clean and offered high speed internet, kitchen facilities and once a week maid services.
Management/staff were polite and courtous and overall the property was very quiet. Good location...near the interstate, shopping and restaurants.
EXCELLENT rate.....$25.72 per night for long term stays!

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business

Been to Oak Mountain Lodge? Share your experiences!