“Not to the Holiday Inn standard.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Pelham
“Not to the Holiday Inn standard.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We recently stayed here, July 28, and were not impressed. We are Priority Club members and try to at Holiday Inns when we travel. This one does meet the standards I have come to expect. Upon arrival they were 5 individuals sitting by the front doors with a stack of about 18 empty beer cans and they remained there late into the night. Not exactly what I want to walk my two young kids by every time we walk in and out. The hotel was clean but seems to be completely outdated. A massive renovation needs to be done. No other Holiday Inn I've been to had this old feeling to it. The pool was extremely cold and my kids were not able to swim. The rooms were stuffy and just had the feel of an old musty motel. The two pros to the hotel were the staff, who were polite, and the breakfast, which was nice. I can honestly say, my standards are not too high to stay in a place like this, I've stayed in worse, but this is a Holiday Inn and needs to resemble one. We stayed at two other Holiday Inns on this trip and the prices were comparable, but that was it. We will be traveling through the area again but will choose a different place next time.

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Saint Joseph MO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Had to stay here last minute, staff was courteous, friendly and helpful, room was clean. Breakfast staff was great, lots of selections that we're fresh and good! We really enjoyed and would stay again!

Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

I stayed on July 14 2012 overnight with the family on the way to Destin. Check in was fast and easy, the front desk girl was polite. Our room was just a normal hotel room nothing out of the ordinary there. It was clean and it looked as though all the carpets had just been steam cleaned. The bathroom was large but was lacking an exhaust vent for some reason. The shower head was actually nice, large range and pretty powerful. The beds where comfortable but you noticed that slight roll to the middle, which means its about time to replace them. The hotel had free wifi which was actually slower then my service from AT&T on my iPad. A pool that looked decent but was crowded so we did not use, but the exercise room was a horrible joke. I usually work out 4-5 times a week, not here though. They had 2 treadmills and one exercise bike. The one treadmill was not working and the one that did sounded like it was going to fall apart. The equipment looked like it was from when the hotel opened. Free breakfast in the morning which is the normal cheap hotel food nothing great. Fake eggs,waffles,cereal,muffins, cinnamon rolls,biquits, gravy, bacon,yogurt and milk, juice and coffee. Other then the exercise room my only real complaint would be the lack of drapes in the room. We stayed on the ground floor and the drapes do not close, there is only a white sheer. So at night the huge parking lot lights, which look like something from a baseball stadium shine through the sheer. The room was pretty much lit up all night, that made it hard to fall asleep. Although easy to make it to the bathroom at night since no other lights are needed. For a normal hotel it was average, I would stay again if I was passing through and wanted some place familiar. If they setup a better exercise room and fixed the stadium esque lights by giving closable drapes it would be a better hotel.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Pros:
Close to several restaurants, inexpensive, friendly staff

Cons:
Awful workout room, less than clean rooms

Have stayed here twice (five nights total) for business. Forget going for a run in their workout room. The treadmill refused to move any faster than walking speed. During my trip it was raining and it started raining inside my room. The window was letting in so much water that the carpet was soaked and puddles were forming.

At least the staff members I dealt with were friendly, the breakfast was included and the rooms were quiet. It could have been worse. That said, I will be staying elsewhere on my next trip.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Dear GoGetemTiger,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your stay. I'm pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel as well as our friendly staff. I deeply apologize that our workout facilities and your room accommodations fell short of your expectations. Rest assured that these issues will be looked into. I assure you that every comment, no matter how small, is taken very seriously. We hope to get a chance of hosting you again and show you how great our hotel is.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
fletcher
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

This property is in an great location with many types of eateries within 1/4 mile. The rooms are very nice and it is right beside the concert venue.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Nevada, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in this Holiday Inn two years ago in May. Loved it then. So this year we stayed once again!! Clean. Staff very helpful and kind. Room and beds excellent. Breakfast was great. Will stay again on return trips to Birmingham, AL. Easy access to everything.

• Stayed May 2012
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012 via mobile

Whatever happened to Holiday Inn? Has the chain decided to be a bottom-feeder when it comes to its Express offerings? If you aim for the bottom, you will surely achieve that goal. On check-in (about 5:30 p.m.) there was no-one to be seen. A couple of minutes later the girl who I passed outside on the portico came in and stepped behind the desk. Apparently she was going to finish her cigarette first and check me in second. Shabby! When I came downstairs to go to dinner about 1/2 hour later, the same girl was outside on the portico smoking - again. Reception unstaffed again. Really shabby!
On check-out this morning the night girl was ensconced in the guest lounge watching TV with what I assumed was another employee. She seemed genuinely miffed that I disturbed her viewing pleasure to surrender my card keys. She was in there over an hour as I was in what they laughingly term their business computer terminal for that amount of time and she did not move. Their business center is a PC along the wall in their lobby.
As hotels are upping their profiles and their offerings, Holiday Inn seems headed in the opposite direction.
Clean room, nice bed and TV. Free wi-fi. Bathroom was very dated with very low-end cabinets. Very much like a rental apartment. Good shower though.
Probably my last stay at a Holiday Inn Express. Sad to say.....

Stayed April 2012
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear Keith F,

Thank you very much for your recent stay with us. We are glad you enjoyed your room accommodations. We are deeply sorry we fell below your expectations and the service you received from our staff was unacceptable. Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Reference # 27707023

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham? Share your experiences!