“Two Things Prevent This From Five Stars” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Orange Beach
Maynard, Massachusetts
“Two Things Prevent This From Five Stars”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a great option for Orange Beach. There are two things however that prevent me from giving it 5 stars. The first is that the breakfast area is WAAAAY to small for this sized hotel. We were lucky to find a two person table and wedged a family of four there to eat. The second is that the elevators (just two) are not enough for this sized hotel. Both issues are impossible to correct - just a design issue. Another possible knock is that they allow people in the pool to blast their own music and smoke pretty much anywhere around pool area - even in the pool! As someone who lives up north, we just are not used to that much smoking that close by, but it was not a big deal. Now, despite all this, the hotel is in an excellent location. The beach is awesome and there are numerous activities in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores to keep everyone happy. The white sand beach is really something and I think that Lower Alabama does not get enough recognition for their beaches. We really enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: Don't take a pool side view on the first floor - you will basically have people smoking in your...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Hi Maynard_Marc,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with candid feedback about your stay with us. I am very happy to hear that despite a few bumps in the road you were still able to enjoy your stay with us. I am personally going to address the music issue and the smoking issue at our hotel and on our pool deck. I am going to work with management to possibly implement policies that will avoid people from playing their own music loudly on the pool deck and also limiting where people may smoke on the property. It is our goal to ensure everyone is comfortable and has a great time on their vacation and I am going to personally see to it that we up hold that vision. I sincerely hope you will come back again to enjoy our hotel and the beach.

Christina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Walsh, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Very pleased with all the amenities. Staff was very friendly and always eager to help. Beach was excellent and the pool side bar staff was great. Breakfast was wonderful and always fresh. Restaurant across the street was very good. Shopping and other restaurant very close. Lots of small shells to be found. Room was clean and housekeeping was very accommodating. I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hi 836 AvidTraveler,

Absolutely wonderful is what we love hearing from our guests about their recent stay with us. Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your stay was. We can't wait for you to come back to see us.

New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

WARNING DON'T USE POINTS HERE - They treat you as if you are stealing from them. They find the last room available and say they don't have any at check-in they will call you when ready. Front desk will not look at you or accept you are a frequent traveler. Complaining gets you no further than the people checking you in. NO MANAGEMENT will talk to you. WORST RUN HOTEL I HAVE EVER STAYED IN. MANAGEMENT only wants your $$$$$'s.

Room Tip: Outside Balcony's throw their sand and anything else they can at people using the pool area
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi Douglas D,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with candid feedback about your recent stay with us. I am so very sorry that you encountered issues with the check in process, the parking issue, and with other guests throwing things off their balcony. Please be assured I have addressed these issues with both my line level employees and my management staff to ensure that those issues do not happen to another guest. It is our goal to make sure everyone has a great memorable experience during their stay with us and that all of our guests feel at home. Please let me know if you ever come back to the area because I would love to personally handle your reservation for you. Again, I am so very sorry for the issues you encountered during your stay and I hope you will give us another chance in the future.

Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express the last two Thanksgivings with two younger children. Being transplanted Yankees - being able to be on or around a beach in November is a novel trip. My kids absolutely love this place - especially the pool. I enjoy the pool area - hot tub is decent, and the beach access is easy. The beach is wide, sandy, and very nice.

We have had no issues with the room - it's not luxury, but is nice and comfortable. When we have gone, the hotel was not very full, so we had the run of the place for the most part. Breakfast was convenient and just ok...not a ton of variety or flavor honestly, but it is plentiful and easy.

Location is very good - quiet stretch of the beach area but short rides to the hubbub of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach business/shopping district.

Overall we love this place and have made it a regular trip - looking forward to another trip this Fall!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hi Chris W,

It is so great to hear that you have made our hotel your place to stay in the area and that you and your family have such a great time with us. Our staff will be so happy to hear of your great feedback and we look forward to seeing you on your next trip.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We were pleased with our stay here. The room was very clean, the breakfast was great with a wide variety (be prepared for a line though and limited places to sit), and the staff was excellent. The breakfast staff were constantly restocking food and the front desk even called our room to make sure we had everything we need. The WiFi is not the best, but I've read that they are in the process of fixing it. The only cons I have is our room was next to the linen and at about 8:30 in the morning the cleaning staff would be talking pretty loudly outside our door. Other than that, this hotel is very good and I was very impressed.

Hi Alabama_Fan1816,

Thank you so much for your candid review about your recent stay with us. I am so happy to hear that you had a good stay with us. I will make sure to celebrate with the staff your feedback. I will also make sure to address with the staff that we need to be more mindful of the guest rooms around the linen closets so we are not disturbing our guests. We hope to see you again soon

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

I arrived really late to the hotel after a very long drive and was really quite put out to find out that the car park cannot handle all the cars that need to park there. I was circling for ages to find a space and nearly had to fight another car for the one i finally got. I'm not sure if this is because non guests park there and aren't removed or if there just isn't enough space. Either way, it's annoying not to be able to just take the car out and pop back expecting a space. I had a similar experience the nxt evening when i came back from my day out. As the hotel is on a dual carriage way, you have to take it out to get anywhere and this was very inconvenient.

The hotel was a bit dark and tired and when I arrived three receptionists ignored me for a good minute or two. When I was looked after though, they were very efficient and quick and I was upstairs and in my room quickly.

The room was fine, standard for the brand, it is more expensive, but that is Orange Beach and for what it was and where it was, right on the beach, it was reasonably priced. The pool is small and was full early morning but the beach is gorgeous, you have to pay for sun loungers tho and no beach service from the hotel.

There is a small hatch, known as the pool bar, where you can buy beer and snacks, there is also a little shop for chips and chocolate tho it all closes pretty early - 7pm.

The breakfast area is fine, but cramped and when I went i had to wait for a table, with people spilling out into the reception area to eat. The hotel was full and i'm sure this is probably not the case out of season.

The staff were friendly tho and it was an enjoyable experience and for the money, good value on the beach.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
christina g, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Hi Travellingbluebell,

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide us with candid feedback about your recent stay with us. I am very sorry to hear that you had issues with the parking and that the Guest Service Agents were not attentive at first and not welcoming. Please be assured that I have personally coached our staff in ensuring every guest has a parking pass and that the parking lot is for our guests only. We strive to ensure all of our guests have a great experience at our hotel and it is because of candid feedback such as yours that we can improve our service to our guests. We hope you will give us another chance in the future to provide you with a great memorable experience.

White Bluff, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Great stay with a full breakfast . Very clean . Beautiful view and good location . I would highly recommend to family friends and couples ! Staff was super friendly . Pool was very clean , had beach access and beach showers with a bar and hammocks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Hi JessicaD,

Great stay is what we love to hear from all of guests after their stay with us. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the breakfast and the beach. We hope you come back to see us again soon.

Christina

Been to Holiday Inn Express Orange Beach? Share your experiences!