“What a disappointment” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
South
“What a disappointment”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2006

I just returned from my stay at Hilton Garden Inn. I must say that for a 3 star hotel i was very disappointed. I arrived early and was told that my room was not ready but they could put me in a smoking room if I wanted. I declined and was told a room would be ready for me between 2 and 4pm. The staff said we could go the the pool area and wait. I was told there was a changing room near the pool. This was just a bathroom. Try changing yourself and a child in a bathroom stall !! The pool was very small. The inside pool and outside pool was THE SAME POOL, part was inside the breezway. Wide rubber flaps separated the inside and outside pool. Music was ok at the pool. It was hard for children to play because of the adults in the pool "passed out" on large air mats. After a while I went back to the front desk and they said they could get me in room. The room seemed clean on initial inspection. When I returned to the front desk and asked for a luggage cart I was told I could find one out the back door. Where was the help?? They were all sitting on the carts out the back door!!! I will stay somewhere else next time.

• Liked — beach front
  • Disliked — crappy elevators and dirty carpet
  • Tips/Secrets — its not worth what you pay
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Montgomery, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

My wife and I spent three nights at the Orange Beach Hilton over Fourth of July weekend. We had an excellent time and would consider staying there again.
On the negative side, the rooms were pretty expensive and the hotel was noisy one of the nights we were there due to some rowdy guests who were there for the weekend.
For the most part, however, we really liked our stay. The hotel was almost completely full and almost everyone there was very quiet and friendly. There were alot of families celebrating the Fourth. I can't say enough about the staff. Every single person who worked there was excellent. Extremely friendly and helpful. From the maids to the bartenders to the restaurant employees - everyone of them made out stay as comfortable as possible.
As for the accomodation, we both liked our room and the beach was great. The pool was a little bit small, but music was played by the hotel and it was a very fun and festive atmosphere. The only downside to the accomodations seemed to be that the icemakers were usually empty. Lots of people brining coolers to the beach and the icemakers weren't filling up quickly enough.
All in all we had a great weekend and really liked the Hilton.
Unless I just want to try something new next time we'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed July 2006
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2006

My family just returned from vacation at this hotel. It was very quiet. You couldn't hear a thing from the other rooms, no traffic noise, etc. We were upgraded from a room with 2 queens to a spacious Kingsize suite with a sofa bed and 2 bathes. Of course the sofa bed was uncomfortable, so our 5'1" daughter just slept on the couch. At this age she prefered the privacy. Don't expect too much of it as the doors between the rooms are glass with no curtains. Has a great place to hold groceries and a small fridge. We had a great time!
We used my husbands Hilton Honors points which rates this Hotel as a 5. I have stayed at several other hotels with this rating and they were much more luxurious! The one at Universal Studios in LA for example! I would give this one a 3. I guess it's the location.
The only problems during our stay was the fire alarm went off (due to a dryer overheating.) . My daughter heard it in the living area but my husband never heard it in the bedroom. They should really ring the phones to alert people. They also didn't make sure people left their rooms as there were people sitting on balconies. One of the elevators broke at about the same time so we decided to go up the stairs rather than wait.
This hotel went through a recent renovation and it had new carpeting, bedspread and furnishings. We paid $179.00 for one extra night.

• Stayed June 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2006

We have visited this hotel since it opened in 1996. They have completely refurbished the hotel after Hurricane Charlie. The lobby is beautiful with cookies every evening. Towels are always available as are chairs and umbrellas at the beach. The hurrican took away the white boardwalk, but it is now a very short walk to the beach! The pool is outdoor/indoor and always heated year-round. That is why we love to visit this hotel in the winter months. From April through the end of the summer, a great snack hut is by the pool with drinks, hamburgers, hot dogs, etc., so you can literally stay at the hotel all day.

The rooms are standard with refrigerators, microwaves, and beautiful views. The price for the beachfront is worth it if you prefer to wake up to the sound of the waves crashing. No hotels or large condos nearby so the beach is quite secluded...never too busy for our young children...even in the middle of the summer. We love the location between the hustle and bustle of Orange Beach and Gulf Shores.

A great place to stay for a few days...and you are not at the beach to stay in the room anyway. The beds and pillows are new in the renovations last year, and there are always fresh sheets and towels. The hotel staff is very helpful and friendly. We love the small office for all visitors in the lobby area to check out local attractions on the internet and restaurant menus. Crico's Pizza does deliver here from Gulf Shores....outstanding greasy pizza!!!!!! So glad they made it through the hurricane! Other great resturants within 5 miles....Mikee's, Franco's, Jake's Steakhouse, etc.

• Stayed April 2006
New Albany, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2006

We just stayed for several nights at the Hilton Garden Inn in Orange Beach, Alabama. We had never stayed there, and I had read several reviews on this inn in your reviews, so I was cautiously optomistic. How happy we are that we went, sight unseen, to this Inn at this great beach!
THE Hotel itself was lovely! We had a great room with a fantastic view! Beautiful! We had great service, and the staff was most helpful with anything we needed. There are great restaurants in the area, and we enjoyed many of them! IT was a great place to get some R&R, and we will return again next year! Gulf shores area is a wonderful area!. ALL YOU BEACH LOVERS SHOULD GIVE IT A TRY!!! PATSY STILLER

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2005

I had reserved a king size bed and was given two queen size...that was O.K.. When I went into the bathroom, I noticed immediately that the toilet seat was not clean. The carpet was poorly vacuumed and there was dust on all the furniture. I could not get connected to the internet on my laptop using the data port, so I had to use the wireless access in the business center room to receive email. All of these I could live with, yet, when I went to make coffee in the coffee maker and found two human hairs in the "never-cleaned" coffee filter basket, I decided that this was a hotel that I would avoid at all costs in the future. (I now carry Lysol and disposable gloves when traveling, just in case I ever run into another situation like this one). On a good note, the staff was friendly and helpful and the breakfast buffet and service was good. Maybe, and hopefully, I just got a bad room. Who knows?

Stayed October 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2005

there add is a lie no room service no porter rooms look like the 60s pool was dirty. at 300 a night don,t waste your money. 3 star more like 0 star .

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Orange Beach Beachfront? Share your experiences!