“Wonderful staff and service!” 5 of 5 stars

Bed
Ranked #4 of 17 Hotels in Orange Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hendersonville, Tennessee
“Wonderful staff and service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

My husband and kids surprised me with a trip to the beach, and we stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn in Orange Beach. While the hotel was undergoing renovations in the lobby, the staff at the front desk were pretty quick to apologize for any inconvenience and let us know that the work was limited to the lobby. When my daughter said it was my birthday, they all wished me a happy birthday and the front desk agent immediately gave us an upgrade as a gift from the hotel! When we went to the room, I noticed it was a little dark and maybe a little dated, but still very clean and well put together. It had a flat-screen TV and it looked like all the channels were in HD, and the room had a microwave, small fridge and a little coffee maker. The housekeeping service was fine when we were there, and contrary to a previous review I read we had nothing but great service from the bartender at the pool. The breakfast was good every day and the service was fine in the restaurant. What AMAZES me about this property is that the staff has clearly been through a long season with alot of business, but they still seem to be very upbeat and genuinely care about the guests. It's good that the hotel is doing some renovations, but to be honest, we've been to many hotels in this area and this hotel is no more dated than any of the others - they all have been pretty beat up by the amount of people, sand, saltwater, kids, and who knows what else coming through these rooms. It is time for a makeover of the rooms, but they were really really clean, so we found no room to complain. WHo spends time in their room when you are at the beach, anyway?!? I just want to say thanks for making my birthday special! Thanks especially to Andrella at the desk, Lynn in the cafe, and Josh - one of the managers who went out of his way to take us to the room personally and talk to us every time we saw him. These people clearly love what they do!!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade - if they have it they will probably give it to you! Also, go to breakfast before...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gyrod, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Orange Beach Beachfront, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Ruth M,

Thank you so much for your kind review of our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you had a great experience with us on your surprise trip for your birthday. Our staff prides itself on making moments like these memorable, and I will be sure to pass your kind words along to them.

Thanks again for your kind review and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our area and to our hotel. Please give us a call and we will be happy to have you back here with us. Safe travels until then.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Columbia, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed in a Beachfront room for a few dollars more...and well worth it. Balcony overlooking a beautiful beach and the Gulf. Great beds and sheets. Garret, the desk staff person when we arrived in the evening, gave us a super restaurant recommendation a few miles from the hotel. Pool area (indoor/outdoor pool) was clean and nice, walkway to the beach immediately from pool area. I only wish the balcony had a screen door so we could have slept with the sound of the waves, but I guess considering the humidity on the Gulf coast they really don't want to encourage that sort of thing. Also, a real coffee maker, not one of those silly little single-cup things which are not very couples-friendly and never come with enough coffee pods. We like coffee and always bring our own coffee and filters; it was great to see a real coffee maker in the room and a good mini-fridge.

Room Tip: Go for the beach front. Remember if your balcony door is not shut tight the AC automatically cuts of...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gyrod, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Orange Beach Beachfront, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
WXinDC,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I will pass your kind words along to Garrett and let him know what an impression he is having on our guests. There are several restaurants close to our property and our staff is knowledgeable about the best ones to go to and the best times to avoid a crowd.

Thanks again for your review and we are looking forward to your return. Next time you are in the area please keep us in mind and we will be ready to welcome you back to the Gulf Coast!
Keller, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed the week of August 6th, 2012. We had three rooms, all pool view.
I'll start with the basics:
Service: A+ REALLY! The desk staff is friendly and outgoing. I ran into the General Manager several times, and the Housekeeping Mgr.once. Both were so friendly and welcoming. I think the amazing thing is that these folks deal with the same busy hotel every single day and they are still upbeat and sincere in their service. Housekeeping services the room every day, although I opted out every other day. The housekeepers are friendly and quiet. They bring a large yellow bin for used towels and then fresh towels are supplied to the housekeepers by attendants. It's a good system. The staff cleans the rooms very well.
Cleanliness: All three rooms were clean and fresh upon entering. There was NO mold in any bathroom. There were NO bugs anywhere, NO stains. Room was truly clean.
Condition: The hotel is undergoing a renovation, so work was occuring at night, yet you couldn't hear it. The rooms still look good, but I can see an occasional need, such as in the bathroom (towel racks are ready to be changed out as they have rusted a bit) and the carpet, while in good condition is about ready for a redo.
Public spaces ARE ALWAYS being cleaned. The houseman was constantly toweling the floor to prevent accidents. The pool area would be used a lot while there were big waves at the beach and the place stayed tidy! There was NEVER a time there were not towels at the pool. The restaurant stayed clean and picked up.
Wifi: My phone had an ATT hotspot that worked all the way to the beach. The hotel wifi was good and strong. Cell phone service seemed hit or miss, but that has nothing to do with the hotel really.
Poolview - what it means. It's actually a good view. I overlooked the pool but when I walked out onto the balcony, I could see the beach to my left. I enjoyed seeing the pool and was happy with that view.
While I know my review is very favorable to the hotel, they earned it. The hotel is maddeningly busy and they handle it in stride. HUGE appreciation to everyone at the HGI- Orange Beach. We loved it!
B, Keller TX

PS. previous posters mentioned housekeeping "slamming doors". They don't. Everyone in their rooms does, though. I wish folks had a bit more hotel ettiquette. :)

Room Tip: Pool view was actually excellent.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Becky C,

Thank you for your honest and great review of our hotel. I will be sure to pass your kind words along to the rest of our staff to let them know what a wonderful job they are doing and that our guests are noticing.

Cleanliness is something that we take very seriously, not only in the guest rooms but in our public areas as well. Our Housekeepers and Housemen work very hard to make sure that things are up to our Hilton standards for our guests. I will be sure to give them a huge pat on the back from you. Our renovations are happening but we strive to make it as noninvasive for our guests as possible. We are very excited about these and the next time you are in the area we think that you will be wowed by what you see.

Thanks again for your honest review and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time that you are in the area. Travel safe until we meet again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We recently went to Orange Beach for the first time and really enjoyed our trip. Robert the bartender at the Tiki bar by the pool was great! We had a lovely trip and will definitely stay there again the rooms were clean and the pool, bar and beach were fabulous!

• Stayed August 2012
Gyrod, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Orange Beach Beachfront, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
lisalyon17,

Thank you for your honest review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable experience with us. We have some of the best bartenders on the Island and I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Rob.

Hospitality and cleanliness are two of our major goals and I am glad to hear that you were able to experience both in your trip. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel the next time you are in the area.
eva,alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We love it here! They made some improvements since last year..didn't know you could improve on such a wonderful spot but they did! Can't wait to get back next year and see what we find. Breakfast is great! Staff are wonderful! Ashley makes great drinks and adds delicious fruit to them...alcoholic or not! I shared non alcoholic with my daughter! We are counting down to next stay! :)

tinapuckett,

I am very excited to hear that you had another great stay at our property. We definitely love having you stay here with us and we looking forward to welcoming you and your family back time and time again.

We are making some improvements and I think you will love what you find the next time you come down to visit us. Ashley at the pool bar makes some of the best drinks on the Island, and you are right -- alcoholic or not they are terrific. Thank you very much for your compliments and I will be sure to pass them along to the rest of our staff. I look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We were on a road trip through the South & on a whim decided to get some beach time. So we booked here because it's a Hilton property which we are loyal to. Unfortunately, this Hilton did not measure up. Yes, it has to do with it being in a touristy beach town packed with chain restaurants, but it's still a Hilton. The lobby was nice but the elevator had a terrible musty smell. The hallway was in desperate need for updating & then we entered our room-- carpet was dirty, in fact, the room & bathroom were not clean. I kept my flip flops on the entire time. We did have a balcony overlooking the pool, but it was loud day & night. (i felt like it was Spring Break due to lots of people partying & drinking everywhere.) This property is right on the beach which is beautiful, so we stayed on the beach all day to escape the crowds & commotion at the pool. However, we did decide to leave a day early.

Room Tip: Ask for room with beach view, not pool view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
theresaw,

I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with your experience with us. We strive to provide excellent service to every guest and for every guest to have the best experience possible.

You are correct that being a beachfront property we do get a little more wear and tare than some other Hilton properties. During the winter months our maintenance and housekeeping staff goes in each of our rooms and does a thorough deep clean. We wish that we were able to do this more often; however, with us being completely sold out from about mid-May through mid-August we are not able to. Therefore our staff strives to provide the best service possible in the rooms and elsewhere during that time. Also, we are going through a renovation known as Project Grow, which is gives our lobby a complete re-design. We are very excited about this upgrade as it will add a modern touch that we have not had.

I do hope that you would give us another chance if you are in the area again. I think that with the progress we are making that you would be pleasantly surprised on your next trip through the area. Thank you for your honest review and I wish you safe travels.
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012 via mobile

On arrival parking was hard to find no designated place to park when checking in, carpets were disgustingly dirty. The location is right on the beach, but not in walking distance of any shops or restaurants. There is an onsite Tiki Bar with 6 seats. Bartender hates his job and anyone who orders frozen drinks, couldn't tell if I could make a room charge and doesn't accept credit cards, also not from around here so dont bother asking for recommendations for restaurants, he has never eaten there. Front desk also was incapable of giving any useful advice on the area. Patio chairs broken, no pool towels and potato chips were all over our balcony when we checked in. Bathroom had peeling wall paper and rusty shower rod. Will not be back, shame on you Hilton, I expect better.

travelingfromfl,

I am sorry to hear that you had a less than pleasant experience at our hotel. I can assure you that is not the kind of service that we pride ourselves on. We do have some newer staff members that just moved to the area, so they are still learning some of the best places to go. However, we do have a restaurant guide that is available that gives directions to the best places in our area. I will also address the issues that you seemed to have with our bartender. I apologize and we will do what we can to make this right.

We also have just started a renovation of our lobby area known as "Project Grow." We are very excited about this as it will give us a more modern feel for our guests and make their experience with us even better.

I do hope that you would give us a second chance to show you our southern hospitality. Please let me know when you will be back in the area and I would like to show you our improvements. Thank you for your constructive criticism and I will take steps to correct the issues that you had mentioned.

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Orange Beach Beachfront? Share your experiences!