“We liked it” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Orange Beach
Saint Louis, Missouri
“We liked it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

To me the value is what separates this hotel from the others. ~$200 per night for a guaranteed ocean view. (We searched about 7-10 other hotels). We loved sitting on the balcony. The pool was a nice break for the kids who could get sick of hacking up salt water. The service was great. The breakfast buffet was good. Their omelets (not included in the buffet) were fantastic. The hotel is situated pretty well in Orange Beach.
The parts they could improve on, the AC was annoying. We set it at 60 degrees and it still felt warm. The shower faucet was strange. Maybe it was broken? I don't know. The ice machines were hit and miss at best.
Other notes: If you want a fridge, you have to pay $20 per night. A lounge chair on the beach costs the same.

2 Thank TravisRK
Island House Ho... M, Front Office Manager at The Island House Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and we are happy that you had a wonderful time. We are happy that you and your family enjoyed the private balconies and we look forward to your next arrival.

Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

We loved this hotel. How can you not when every room faces the ocean?! The decor was "upscale beachy" and very clean. The pool was spotless and from our balcony we could see them cleaning it every morning. For the price, this gem was a steal. They still use actual keys to open up your room, but we found that kind of charming in a day where everything is technologically advanced!

Now for the cons...They really need mini-fridges in the rooms, past reviews state the same thing. It became a comedy of errors as you witnessed and partook in the traveling up & down of the elevators with others in search of ice from the machines (which were usually empty) on different floors.

Their restaurant was quaint, but had an odd vibe. Staff didn't seem thrilled...food was fair...seemed outdated and didn't match the rest of the hotel vibe. We heard they had remodeled their pool area, so maybe the restaurant is next? The bar was hidden and usually closed. At first, this seemed annoying, but ya know, for a family hotel, I kinda liked that there weren't a bunch of drunks in bathing suits parading around!! This hotel comes across quite classy!

The front desk staff was very pleasant but not very knowledgeable. Asked one female where we could grab a burger right on the beach and she didn't know. Huh??!! (we found it ourselves, Bahama Bob's was AWESOME, the Hangout had cool scenery--overrated food. Both overlook the ocean) We asked a gentleman how to get to a certain Dolphin Cruise (we showed him the flyer) and he didn't know. Front desk should be able to point tourists into those traps!! ;o)
Housekeeping was odd....they would completely change your sheets daily and take out the trash, replace towels..but wouldn't take away coffee mugs or other restaurant stuff left behind! So the room never looked 100% cleaned up. But to their defense....wow...never a trace of sand when we'd get back in! We had little kids and sand always ended up in our room!

Overall, we would totally stay here again despite the little quirks. We loved our time and the views can't be beat! Also, books and children's books in the lobby were such a cute touch. It was a great first-impression to visiting Orange Beach.

We miss it already.

1 Thank afawcett1969
Thank you for your staying with us at The Island House Hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay at the Island House Hotel. We look forward to you staying with us again soon.
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

1. When we checked in the lady behind the counter was weather a thick leather choker.

2. Our first morning eating breakfast in the hotel restaurant, Barbara Walters, the hotel manager was conducting a business meeting at the table next to us. I had to listen to her complain about staffing issues my entire breakfast and talk business - exactly what I was trying to get away from.

3. Pieces of concrete are falling from the underside of balconies and metal rebar is exposed and visible while swimming in the pool.

4. Employees take their smoke breaks in front of the building where guests enter and exit.

5. A nail was sticking out of the boardwalk and hiding in a shadow. I offered to pull it up if someone gave me pliers. The lobby attendant told me she couldn't do that, instead she filled out a form and said building maintenance would handle it. I expressed my concern that a person would definitely stub their foot on it before then, and she said with gusto "I filled out a form, they'll handle it" and looked at me as if to say "go away now!".

6. All of the drink machines in the hotel were empty, but before going to a gas station I asked the lobby attendant if that was my only option, he said "if they're empty, they're empty". As I turned to walk away, he opened his soft drink can. Maybe he could have waited until I was gone?

Here's the thing, someone is going to write a comment below this comment and say something along the lines of "this is not typical, we do not operate this way, we're sorry for your experience". But every time I gave The Island House an opportunity to provide good customer service while I was standing right in front of them, they had no interest. So the comment below is pointless - they do not care about your experience. They took my money and wanted me to go away. I had simple requests and expectations from a hotel as listed above, and my requests and expectations do not align with this hotel.

Good luck everybody else.

• 1 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Cleanliness
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank Josh M
Thank you for staying with us at The Island House Hotel. At the Island House Hotel we pride ourselves in 100% Customer Service and I am sorry that it was not to our standards. We are always upgrading and approving our building and our customer service team.
Maurice, Louisiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I am a little disappointed with the room not having a microwave. I paid extra for a bigger room that came with a refrigerator, but still no microwave. We had a good stay and restaurant had good food with good service. The beach was clean and pool was too.

Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 stars
      Rooms
2 Thank Toby F
Island House Ho... M, Front Office Manager at The Island House Hotel, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at The Island House Hotel. I do apologize that you thought you had a microwave in your room. The only rooms at The Island House Hotel that have microwaves are the Penthouses. We are glad you had a great stay and enjoyed the beach.
alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

stayed here a few days for great time at the beach. clean rooms, right on beach although it is a wide beach to cross,all rooms face beach and nice pool. very pleasant stay. this was our 2nd stay at this hotel and would stay again. ate breakfast buffet in restaurant one morning. food tasted just fair but it is convenient. would have ranked 5 stars if rooms had microwave and refrig and if free breakfast was offered.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank rewt
Island House Ho... M, Front Office Manager at The Island House Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for staying with us last week. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Highland Village, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

This was our second year to stay at the Island House. We were not dissapointed. The hotel, pool, and grounds are kept clean and neat. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had breakfast in the hotel restuarant several mornings. The restuarant food was always good and the restaurant staff friendly. All of the rooms face the beach and have patios with chairs...it was relaxing sitting on the patio watching the waves and dolphins every day. This is a hotel that makes you feel like family.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank wagshaus
Island House Ho... M, Front Office Manager at The Island House Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at The Island House Hotel. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to you staying with us again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

Ok,I read and read every review on multiple web sites before going so much so i tried to cancel and change hotels, so glad I didn't. This hotel is awesome, rooms were cleaned every day not a drop of sand left, noise was very low, pool was so so nice, the walk to the beach is fast and easy, staff was awesome the bellmen were funny and wouldn't let me pick up anything they did it all.at no point did I see anything at all that other people have bad reviews for happening! The location is perfect and the price can't be beat.If you have any doubts like I did about this place you can put them to rest!

• Stayed June 2014
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
10 Thank grease690
Island House Ho... M, Front Office Manager at The Island House Hotel, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Thank you for staying at the Island House Hotel. We are happy that you had a wonderful stay and we look forward to your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Orange Beach
BEST WESTERN on the Beach
BEST WESTERN on the Beach
#3 of 25 in Gulf Shores
4.0 of 5 stars 796 reviews

Been to The Island House Hotel? Share your experiences!