“BEWARE: Don't cancel your reservation” 1 of 5 stars

You added The Wharf to your Saves list
The Wharf
3.5 of 5 Condominium   |   4830 Main Street, Orange Beach, AL 36561   |
Memphis, Tennessee
“BEWARE: Don't cancel your reservation”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

This may be a great place to stay, but my recent experience will keep me from ever staying at this place. I had made a reservation for a couple nights in July and due to a change in travel plans, I had to cancel about 40 days outside of the reservation. They charged me $85 to cancel this! When I made the resevation, the girl typed in my incorrect email address, so I never even got a confirmation with the terms of the reservation. She never informed me of any non-refundable booking and reservation fees. Yet, I am out $85. When I called, they did agree to take $30 off of it and admitted they were sorry, but this was not handled right. The money is not that much so not a huge deal. But the principle of how this happened and how they handled it is not acceptable.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Piedmont, AL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

The best place to go period! You wont regret choosing the WHARF! Clean,Beautiful, WoW! BEST PLACE EVER!!!

Room Tip: Any room at the wharf is the BEST!!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Ft. Lauderdale
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

Listen, I don't know what some of these folks who wrote negative feedback experienced, but me and my husband absolutely loved the Wharf. We were there October 2010 and have not stopped talking about it yet. As a matter of fact, the only reason why I stopped by this site was to see if I could find something similar to The Wharf only because we don't want to go back to a place we've already been before experiencing more options!

The Wharf is an entertainment complex consisting with its own upscale, "first run" movie theater, Ferris wheel, Lazer Tag Center, bars, restaurants (From pizza to seafood and everything in between), unique boutique shops and services (Nail shop, hair salons etc). Truth is once you check in, you really don't have to leave the complex for anything.

The Pool area, while yes separated from the condos is truly an "Oasis" of its own. Resort style pool with a magnificent lazy river, hammocks and quite little nooks you can make your own relaxation spot. Food and beverages are sold on location and its really a nice fun day activity in its own. This was my favorite part of the resort.

Our room was spacious, privately owned condo that exhibited ownership pride. We enjoyed a marvelous balcony overlooking the intercostal waterway with an amazing gas grill. It was fully stocked and very comfortable with upscale furnishings and amenities. Check-in was seem less on a very busy graduation weekend (I was receiving my degree from CSU).

We live in Fort Lauderdale, Fl, but the beaches in Orange Beach, Alabama was the best ever. The sand is like powder, piled high and amazingly soft. There was a free Bon Jovi (I think that was the rock group) concert on the beach that night, so it was a bit crowded....but that was to be expected.

Our overall experience was amazing and we will return most likely with our entire family. It exceeded our expectations and as a "germaphobic" (drives my hubby crazy), I am very hard to please!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

Stayed in one of their boat slips for an overnight stay while coastal cruising. Very nice facility and an absolutely fantastic oyster bar right next to the rental office. Originally planned to dine out somewhere else, but after spotting this oyster bar I just planted my but on a bar stool for a cold draft beer and two dozen raw oysters. As a matter of fact, I so enjoyed the oysters here I came back the next day for another dozen. The dock amenities are in very good shape and as usual the fellow transients were very friendly. The marina/dock staff are very helpful not only with refueling, they are great at helping you re-ice your boat and almost insist upon letting you sit back while they do all the work. They are safety oriented and just down right good at their job. Good place for a stopover after coming out of Mobile Bay or back from Pensacola Beach.

Room Tip: Did not stay in a room. Stayed in a Marina Boat Slip.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Rome, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

The property is very nice with a variety of shops, restaurants, and even a movie theatre. The pool area is unbelievable, but the downside is that you have to ride a golf cart shuttle or drive to get to the pool area from the condos. Also bringing your own cooler with outside food or drinks (even water) isn't allowed so it can get pretty pricey on a really hot day! There isn't a lot of shade in the pool area.
The reasons I rated The Wharf as average are when we arrived to check in the agent at the desk was on the phone on a personal phone call and let me stand there and wait for a few minutes. Every time I went back to ask a question or check out she was still on a personal phone call. Upon arrival, our paperwork said to do an inspection of the condo to make sure everything was in good condition otherwise you're responsible. I had to call and then go back and report that a closet door had come off the track at the bunkbeds and was lying against the wall and our balcony door wouldn't open. When I went and reported in person, someone did come to fix these issues. I've dealt with this rental company in the past and had good experiences but I might check elsewhere first next time. The condo seemed a little hastily cleaned. There was mildew in the grout in the shower. Things seemed a little dingy in the room. I know this is the experience in just one condo, so others may be totally different.
I use TA all the time and wish I had been able to get more info on this property so that's why I wanted to be sure to leave a detailed review of the condo.
This property is better suited to those who like to be active with shopping and other activities during their vacation.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Gretna, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

Very disappointed in our overall experience at The Wharf on a recent family vacation. After going back to the website and rereading it and searching only did I finally find that a shuttle was provided to the Oasis area. The Oasis area is the pool/lazy river/wave pool area, it is not connected to the condos, so you can walk but its a good distance especially with kids, they do provide golf carts for your transportation to the pool area every 15 minutes but if more than 7 people are headed down to the pool area together someone will have to be left behind, you can also drive your car there. This was found to be very inconvenient with 5 young children in the group. The pool area not being connected to the condos is the number one reason why we will not be returning to The Wharf in the future. While at other resorts where there is a pool area and or lazy river, you can bring your own cooler and food and drinks, you are not allowed to do so here, a TIKI Bar is provided but very pricey. The bathrooms are located far away from the pool area, to me this is only encouraging people to urinate in the pools. The Oasis/pool area is only open from 10-8, its hard for young kids who are up early to wait til 10 to go swimming, besides the sun and heat are at there hottest from 12-3, so the pool should be open earlier so the kids can swim when the sun isn't at its hottest and open later for that same reason, they have lights in the pool and you can enjoy swimming without the sun. They also only offer 10 umbrellas for shade in this large area, they are first come first serve, there is no large area by the pool that provides shade, we had a 6 month old with us and other children, so when the 6 month old needed to have a break from the sun, the other children had to get out because we weren't able to watch them in the pool from a shaded area. If we were aware of this prior we would have brought an umbrella. On one of the days it started to rain at 2:00, the pool was closed due to bad weather, the bad weather lasted till 3:30, we decided to go back to the pool at 6:00, we loaded the kids in the cars and they were all excited about going swimming only to find that the pool had closed for the day, a chain and lock were on the gate. There were no signs that said once the pool is closed, it will be closed for the day. The parents and kids were very disappointed, the weather had cleared up and there was no reason to close the pool. If they wanted to send the workers home from the Bar that would have been fine, they don't provide lifeguards so they could have at least one person there to allow people to enjoy the pool. We called the after hour number that was provided to find out why the pool was closed because the office closes at 6, only to find out that they have no control over the pool and they are security. We were told that we could only use the tubes provided for the lazy river, other resorts that we have been to allowed you to bring in other floating devices that are more comfortable. I did like the fact that the pools were zero entry/beach entry. Inside the condos were nice, but extremely disappointed in The Oasis area.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Ferris, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

We took our 2 kids to the The Wharf for our family vacation. Normally taking cruises, we had our expections high. I work at a Bed and Breakfast, and customer service is a must!
First of all, upon making our reservation, we had referred 2 other couples who booked here also, and we were told bc of this we would receive some sort of coupons for the Ferris Wheel, or theatre or Laser Tag. Upon check in, it was told to us that this was noted in our reservation but the person that booked us was off; that they would call us later. That was fine. We call the next day, she's off still... WELL HELLO.. you see the notes, step up to the plate and take care of business! We finally get 4 games of Laser Tag the day before we leave. By this time, we have paid for about 4 games already!
The a/c in the room is non-adjustable, being locked at 75 degrees.... it gets hot, espicially at night. By bedtime, the first night, all of our feet were black from the floors.
Some of the electrical sockets did not work, and the alarm clock did not work.
The pool was great; but you have to either drive your vehicle, or ride the golf cart. It is too far to walk. We didn't see this on the website.
I called to check with the front desk about what was in the room, and was told a "starter pack". When we got to the condo, that included 1 roll of paper towels, 1 roll of toliet paper, the only trash bag was the one in the trash can, no shampoo, conditioner, etc..., 1 small pack of stuff for the dishwasher, and no soap to wash dishes with.
There was not an extra blanket for the fold out couch, and you could see, not to mention, feel the springs in it. We have stayed in condos before, and most of this was provided for you. We found out after being there and talking with other condo owners, that The Wharf had actually gone into bankruptcy. Not sure when though. That is why alot of the shops are vacant spaces.
Not sure we will be returning here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Wharf? Share your experiences!