“Absolutely disgusting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of TradeWinds

You added TradeWinds to your Saves list
TradeWinds
3.5 of 5 Specialty Hotel   |   24568 Perdido Beach Blvd, Orange Beach, AL 36561   |
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
“Absolutely disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

5 girls, 4 nights- disgusting and gross place. Room 1001 was so run down, the couch was so old that the pillows were completely flat and covered in stains, all the pillows had holes in them as well. The Shower curtains were completely molded at the bottom. The Shower walls were covered in soap scum and the shower head was so old it barely sprinkled out water. The balcony furniture was just as disgusting. the chair pads were flat and covered in stains. I never sat once out there. Both comforters on the beds were so old, they looked liked they had never been washed and they holes too. Very disappointing! And I almost forgot- they said free WiFi- Well the router was missing and when I called the property manager she told me to call the local internet company. Thanks for your help lady. Not my job to get that fixed. Horrible service!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Gillsburg, Mississippi, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

My bad experience with Sugar Sands Realty began in April, and my trip wasn't until mid-July. We were traveling for a baseball tournament, so I was booking for several families. The first problem I had with Sugar Sands was that they booked all the condos in the name of the last family to book, although I had given all necessary information specific to each family. Then, when I called to straighten out THEIR mistake, the woman on the phone (I'll refrain from giving her name) didn't know anything, couldn't answer my questions, and was extremely rude! The problem did not get resolved until check-in, and even still, the rudeness and confusion continued. Also, as another reviewer stated, there are extra charges attached to using a credit card. Our group rented 8 condos total, and the conditions of the other Sugar Sands represented condos were abysmal. Problems included: no air conditioning, broken stove, dangerous/uncovered electrical outlets, dirty dishes (my glasses had lipstick rings ALL OVER THEM!), peeling wallpaper, etc. Also one member of our group, who had paid the amount on his invoice in full before arriving, received a notice on his door that he would be evicted by 3:00 that day if he didn't pay his remaining balance. He knew nothing of a balance. Sugar Sands Realty had mistakenly miss-charged him, and they demanded he fix THEIR mistake. Our friend was humiliated by the note and went through hours of trouble arguing his position before they agreed tat he would pay a cleaning fee only. Continuing the trouble, the "included wifi" costs an extra $25 a week. After I called and literally fought with yet another rude person at Sugar Sands finally gave me a username and password ripped-off from another condo. Finally, having called one last time to be berated and talked down to by another rude employee, my family checked out early. We turned in our keys in person in their office only to be informed the next day by a friend in our group that they didn't have our keys. Sugar Sands Realty did not call me, they called my friend! I called immediately to hear that they do have our keys, they think. Therefore, I still don't know for sure if this terrible experience is over! DO NOT USE SUGAR SANDS REALTY!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Shreveport, LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were mostly happy with our visit. This was our visit to Orange Beach and did not know what to expect. We booked this through Young's Suncoast on VRBO.
Parking was abundant at least during our visit. The elevators are located at the side of the building and upon our arrival, we unloaded all our stuff and carried it to the elevators where we found there were flat carts to aid you in unloading your stuff and taking it up the elevators. I think Young's Suncoast should provide us with this information (especially since it was out 1st visit there) so that we can take advantage of all the facilities.
We were overall pleased by the accommodations. The rooms and bathrooms were quite clean and most everything appeared to be working in the unit. The kitchen could do with a thorough cleaning though as there were some old stains along the body of the refrigerator near the kitchen top. I believe some of the kitchen appliances need some servicing and they are better off replacing some of them. Usually at our prior VRBO rentals, we found the kitchen to be stalked with the usual cutlery, china, dishes and utensils along with some basic condiments. This one had the utensils, cutlery, dishes, etc but there was no sugar and condiments like salt, etc. I think it would be helpful to have them (& may be some ketchup too).
We missed a hair dryer in the condo. Generally, we do not carry our hair dryer with us on trips and we expected one (since most hotels have one available in the room/bathroom).
The view from the balcony was awesome as the condo is right on the beach. There was a private entrance to the beach with a shower to wash your feet, etc on your way back. However, they also need to have a doormat at the front entrance.
They also have a swimming pool within the premises, which we did not get a chance to use, as we spent most of the time on the beach.

The things we did not like are not very many.
The first would be the wifi/internet service. Generally at our prior VRBO rentals, wifi was included and all we had to do was enter the password (which was provided in the room generally near the router/TV). I believe this one lists wifi as one of the amenities (at least I thought so), but wifi is not included and you need to to subscribe for it separately ($7.95 per day or so) and is not included in your condo charges. The sign up process was not straightforward... well it appeared straightforward but after signing up, nothing happened and I was always taken back to the login page. Finally, I ended up calling them and they did something to activate it. Fine, but then I found that the internet was too slow and was worse then the speed I was getting with 3g (don't have a 4g phone). So I cancelled it and hope my refund goes through. Moreover, even the 3g data service was slow (probably since we visited during a long weekend). I don't know if the regular 3g service there is equally bad (can't say since I am with AT&T).
The elevators are the other main problem. I don't know if it was due to the long weekend or is the norm. Bur during checkout time, there is long wait for the elevators. Lots of people checking out at the same time, the service/cleaning folks coming in at the same time and all using only a couple of elevators for the entire complex. Definitely count on 30-45 min for check-out due to elevator bottleneck!

So overall, we liked more things than we did not. I would recommend this to others with the above 2 considerations in mind.

Room Tip: Make sure you have a great view of the beach from the balcony as all units do not have that. If yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cullman, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We rented through Meyer. We did did feel like we got a good rate on the condo. Building and pool was in nice good shape. Room was decorated very good. Housekeeping service needs a good talking to or firing! Food in my kids bunkbeds, used items under couches and beds, two inches of dust in corners or rooms, and clean behind toliets. Dont just sweap the traveled areas and push yuck under furniture. Used Kleenexes under sofa that we were supposed to pull out and sleep on! Nasty! Condo is in a good location.

• Stayed July 2013
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Booked thru a local agent for baseball tourney over July 4 holiday, 2013. Some of our team stayed at Phoenix V but we needed to save money so we booked at TradeWinds. On the good side location was convenient for beach and groceries, and where our games were. Unit was sufficiently clean but not spotless. Furniture and appliances were serviceable. Nothing extra was in the unit--no toys for the beach, no extra TP or soap, no salt or pepper. So this felt no better than a "spot to crash". On the bad side out unit was on floor 1, facing the parking lot, next to the trash chute. This meant anytime somebody dropped something down, from any floor above, we heard it, AM OR PM! Things like a light in the closet so you could see were missing. It worked for the week we were here, but I would consider a nearby respected hotel chain before I booked TradeWinds again. Just not worth doing again.

• Stayed July 2013
Sherman, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I booked this place because it was a decent price, and I could book for 5 nights, instead of 7, as most places require. I checked out many condos in OB, and settled on this one because of its location, décor, it had 2 bathrooms and a washer and dryer. We booked condo 403. I liked that it was on the 4th floor, with an ocean and pool view. I was afraid the pool noise would be bothersome, but it really wasn't.

It really is a good location because it's right next to a few beach houses, so, on that side, the beach is not very crowded. On the other side there is a high rise condo so it can get crowded on that side. The condo is decorated nicely, and the view can't be beat. You literally just walk out onto the beach from the pool area. There are beach chairs/umbrellas set up to rent for $25/day. Or you can just go buy one for about $35 at the souvenir shop that is right down the road and keep it all week.

This condo sleeps six (one king bed in the master, 2 bunks in the hallway, and a sofa sleeper). However, we only had 4 and it's a good thing because the mattress on the sleeper sofa was not useable, so one daughter slept on the couch, and the other slept in one of the bunks. Don't book this expecting to be able to have room for 6 people. We thought the mattress in the master bedroom was just fine. The one annoying thing about the master is that it looks out into the hallway, right by the elevator, and the hall light stays on all night. There are dark curtains in the room so that helps, but if you like it really dark, keep that in mind.

The dryer and toaster were both broken when we arrived, but we called the rental company (Liquid Life) and both were fixed the same day. I do recommend this company as they are very friendly and attentive. There were a few other minor annoyances (broken bar stool, only one kitchen towel and no pot holders, no blender, etc). But the place was clean and the location with the view is great.

I will use Liquid Life next time I stay in Orange Beach (this was my first trip), but I probably would look for a little nicer condo. This is one of the older ones, so its age is showing. But overall, if you're not looking for anything fancy, this is a great place.

Room Tip: I would absolutely NOT stay on the first floor just due to the lack of privacy, and probably noise l...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We stayed on the 12th floor in early July and it was so beautiful. We used VRBO instead of a realtor company which went very well. The beach is very close to the condo which makes it nice if you want to get a quick bite to eat or grab more beverages. There is plenty of places to get anything you might need during your stay. We have already booked our vacation again next year and can't wait.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to TradeWinds? Share your experiences!