“Great weekend get away.” 4 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort   |   27200 Perdido Beach Blvd, Orange Beach, AL 36561   |
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Orange Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Houston
“Great weekend get away.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2004

The weekend Continental special rate from Houston to Mobile was our insentive to travel ($68/roundtrip) and the Tripadvisor.com reviews helped us settle on a reservation at Perdido Beach Resort. Travelers were: me, hubby, two sons - ages 8 and 11. We paid $220 for Saturday night, but did get a reduced rate on Sunday & Monday nights of $168 for a queen/queen room with limited view. We still had a view of the Gulf from our balcony - room 9022. National Rent car was $24/day, unlimited miles. Trip from Mobile to Orange Beach took about one hour, utilizing the Foley Beach Express Toll Way.
Considering the great overall price we paid, and comparing its condition and amenitites to the other hotels I visited in the near area while there (Island House, Four Seasons), I rated this property above average. I would prefer this property above the other hotels in the area, and my kids preferred the pool at this property. I enjoyed the unlimited beach/pool towels, fitness area, beach service, poolside grill, and management was VERY friendly and accomodating.
The beach here was a little funky, in that it had a ton of algea, and "jellies" were abundant one day. The locals say this situation is not constant, but I think I will check and see if there is an algea "season" before we go back. The sand is beautiful - white sugar.
I would visit here again, assumming I booked a great rate. I don't think I would have enjoyed myself if I had paid full rack rate. If I had to pay full price air and hotel, I would stick with a nicer hotel/beach for the same $$$ in the Carribean/Mexico.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2004

The outside of the property and the lobby was beautiful. Though the room had a magnificient view of the beach, ocean and pool it was definitely not what I expected. The room had no internet access and it seemed to have a pest problem. My girlfriend, who was with me on the trip, it terrified of bugs so needless to say, she thought the room was nasty and wanted to go somewhere else. I do think that the room should be nicer and cleaner for the price charged.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2004

Several of my friends as well as my boyfriend's friends had recommended the hotel to us, so we decided to give it a try. We will never stay there again.

First of all, when we called to make the reservation we reserved a non-smoking room. When we go to check in, the front desk informs us that all the non-smoking rooms are taken. The front desk also informs us that non-smoking rooms are on a first come first serve basis and we should have been told that when we made our reservations. All they had available were smoking rooms, so we decide to try it out, but we were not happy about it. The room smelled like an ash tray, so we called to have someone come and deodorize the room.

Then the card key reader on the door was broken and kept beeping and kept us up all night. Engineering came the following day to fix it, in which he kept telling us to wait he will be right back with our new keys. He did this 2 times and the third time, we said to leave them at the front desk -he had already wasted a good hour of our vacation. In the meantime, the bathroom lights burnt out and he said he would change those as well. When we returned to our room a few hours later, they were not changed, so we called the front desk. A few hours after that they still had not been changed. So we asked a third time.

We also requested our drinking glasses to be replaced cause they still had lipstick on them from the guests before - they never did that. We had to ask for extra toilet paper cause the cleaning person never gave us anymore. We also did not receive coffee for our second day.

Needless to say we will not be returning to Perdido Beach Resort and we will not recommend the hotel to anyone as the place to stay. As far as I'm concerned it is on the same level as a Holiday Inn or Days Inn. Nothing Special.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2004

This place is fair at best. Don't get me wrong, the staff was great and the pool area was cool....nice beach too, but the room was nothing to write home about. The place looks grand from the outside, but I felt that the room was not well appointed. Small tv and a kind of lumpy bed. I was expecting much, much more for the price I paid.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2004

On a recommendation from my sister in law, we decided to stay at this fine resort. The staff was courteous as we checked in early and we were allowed the use of the pool and spas while waiting for our room.

Once we got to our room, we were overwhelmed with the amount of space we had. We called housekeeping for a crib and it was brought up immediately. We ordered room service one night we were there and was pleasantly surprised by not only the quality of food but the staff that delivered it. We dined one night at the Cafe Palm Breeze. The food was reasonably priced and it was a great family atmosphere. My wife and I took up my sister in law's request to watch the children while my wife and I dined at the fine dining restaurant Voyager's. My wife and I was impressed by the knowledge of your wait staff about various wines. My wife and I enjoyed the shrimp cocktail and the steak au poivre.

We plan on re-visiting this fine establishment in the fall.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2004

Perdido Beach Resort is a wonderful place to visit. My young daughter and I love the indoor/outdoor pool as well as the pool for the young children. The staff was very friendly and helpful.
The two restaurants they have offer a wide array of foods. The casual dining, Cafe Palm Breeze, has an excellent variety of foods. My daughter loved eating there. Voyager's Restaurant has an outstanding menu with a terrific wait staff. They made my birthday a memorable one.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2004

i have never met such rude and disrespectful people in my life. i am getting married on orange beach in october and wanted my wedding guest to stay at the perdido beach resort. the staff was so rude to us. it was like they didn't want business. the wedding is in their slow season, so it was such a surprise that they would be so rude.

if you want to be treated well, i would not suggest anyone staying there. all of my guests are now staying at the island house. they were so nice and accommodating. the lobby is not as nice as the perdido beach resort, but the room are exactly the same.

when i tell people who live in orange beach about my experience with the perdido beach resort, they are not surprised. it seems they have a well known reputation for being extremely rude and unaccommodating.

Been to Perdido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!