“Great Golf Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

Wilmington, Ohio, United States
“Great Golf Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

To whom it may concern,

I just got backhome from a weekend aT the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail at Grand National in Opelika, Alabama, and it was an inceredible weekend. The staff under the direction of head pro Jan Bishop made the experience one of the nicest I have ever had.

You can be very proud of this group of employees. From the time we arrived from the bag boys who took our clubs, to the time they put them back in our cars, every one we came in contact with was the sweetest people you would ever want to meet. Always very attentive to any need we had. I will recomend this place as a great place to play golf to all my friends and associates. Well done!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Jay P, Manager at Marriott Auburn Opelika at Grand National, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Thank you for your review. We are very proud of our golf course and all of our associates. I'm glad to hear that you had a great time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here for two nights to play Grand National on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail. Located a quarter mile from the course, this hotel is a destination in itself. Rooms are comfortable, nice restaurant, sports bar, adult and family pools, 3 fire pits, hut tub.....you get the picture. Staff was very friendly.
I highly recommend this whether you're playing golf or visiting Auburn University which is a 10 minute drive.

Stayed March 2014
Jay P, Manager at Marriott Auburn Opelika at Grand National, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your review. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit. I hope you're able to come back soon to enjoy the fabulous pool and the warmer weather.
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last night. We happened to book this hotel with reward points. The front desk service was wonderful and we had a lovely stay in a very nice room. We will certainly come again. Thank you for the service. Such a beautiful location.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay. I hope that you are able to visit us again soon.
Orlando
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I stayed here during December for Auburn graduation ceremonies. Its a little far from campus, tucked back in a golf community. The hotel was quiet, the room was well appointed and maintained. The bathroom was spacious with a large stand-up shower. The beds were standard Marriott and were comfortable (as they usually are). If I ever find myself in need of a relaxed golf vacation, or and am in need of lodging close to the university I will definitely consider a stay at the Marriott again!

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Jay P, Manager at Marriott Auburn Opelika at Grand National, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
So glad to have you stay with us during Auburn Graduation. We are about 15 minutes or so from campus and have a lot of campus visitors stay with us. I hope you're able to come back again soon.
Richmond, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I am a long time Marriott rewards member and an ambassador of the brand, but this Marriott feel short and for the first time in my travels failed to deliver the Marriott experience. My rating is directly tied to my expectation for a Cat 5 Marriott hotel.

First, if you plan to charge someone to use your Gameroom then do not post it as an event without adding an " * " or something to indicate a charge. Charging $10 to use a pool table is absurd when again this is supposed to be a Category 5 hotel catering to its guests. I shared my displeasure with the first person I saw in your restaurant (important note here later) who told me that yes they charge and there is nothing that can be done and directed me to the front desk. I go to the front desk who tells me, Oh yeah it is a charge but its only $10 for an hour which is reasonable. Really?? I continued to ask questions express my displeasure and was told well you can talk to the manager in the bar downstairs - I will tell him you are coming. Seriously? No, sir I understand your frustration let me assist or I will ask the manager to come to you. So far there are numerous opportunities, I go downstairs talk to the manager and he says the same. I again state the obvious, you have NOTHING to do for your guests that is not outside and do to the weather (30's) who is going outside. He begrudgingly opens the room, but as of now the joy and pleasure of playing has left. Way to make a customer feel good - FAILURE.

Secondly, I make plans to visit your restaurant (remember the person who was working there earlier) and when I go to the restaurant - it is CLOSED at 9PM. I see someone walking by and they tell me that because the hotel is not full that the restaurant is not being opened. WHAT!!!! I go up to the front desk and am told the same thing, and no offers. No, sir is there something special you would like and we can have it made. Nothing, no apology or anything. Again MEGA-FAILURE in the customer service area. So, I am left to traveling outside where the only thing open is McDonalds. Upon my return, the "manager" asks about my stay and I share the above. He looks at me blankly and says he will pass it on to the GM. Why did you just waste my time in asking a question that you do nothing about?

So overall:
1) Staff is kind, but customer service and empowerment is a failure
2) Better communication on events and amenities
3) Repair your ice machine as it was broke
4) In-room amenities are fine, but iron and board need to be checked and replaced
5) Is this a Category 5 hotel? No, if you want a Category 2 then this would meet your expectations.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Jay P, Manager at Marriott Auburn Opelika at Grand National, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
I'm terribly sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. It is true that there is a charge to use our game room. We feel that this charge is apporporiate and affordable for the amenity that is provided. It is the only amenity that we charge. We provide fitness center, tennis center, and business center complimentary. It is not typical that this amenity is even offered in other hotels, so there is a slight charge for it.

The ice machine that you mentioned has been repaired. We were waiting for parts to arrive and that has now happened. Our restaurant was closed at 9pm, but our Sports Bar was open until 11pm and we serve the same menu for both facilities, so we would have been able to serve you. I'm sorry that this was not communicated to you properly. I hope that you have the opporunity to visit us again. Please feel free to contact me if would like to discuss further.
Smyrna, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

The amenities are what made the hotel. The pools were nice, the bar areas were well appointed, the free popcorn was cool. The fire pit was very romantic.

We stayed the day after Christmas and the hotel was almost empty. We had the place to ourselves, which was nice. The staff spoiled us rotten! We played pool and poker. The free wi-fi was a bonus. The Thai wings were delicious too! The only disappointment was that the full breakfast wasn't available - only continental. Understandable considering the low occupancy, but it was an inconvenience.

The rooms were clean and the bathroom was well stocked. The common areas were beautifully decorated for Christmas. Before we left, we agreed that we'd make staying here an annual tradition.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Jay P, General Manager at Marriott Auburn Opelika at Grand National, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your review. We would love to be your new Christmas tradition. Don't forget about us during our busier seasons as well. It's a little more crowded, but a lot of fun when you can enjoy that great pool and our other outdoor activities.
Birmingham, Alabama
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I joined some friends from a non-profit organization to have a meeting at this location. The day of the meeting the board room was well appointed. The service manager came to check on us and we told her we didn't need anything. She continued to hang around to assist people trying to find our meeting room. We told her everyone already knew where the room was and she didn't have to stay. She then asked if we would like to use the bar area for lunch and watch the Auburn/Missouri game. We told her that some of us would and others would not. She kept on saying she would go ahead and set up a time. We told her not to set up a time (we would get there when we got there). She kept asking us where our wives were and if they were going to join us after the meeting and didn't our wives want to eat at the bar too. We finally just asked the lady to leavel

Once we went to the bar the bartender continued to ask us why we were ordering sweet tea and hamburgers when this tab was being picked up by the "master account", meaning our association was picking up the tab. This made everyone uncomfortable so someone finally explained that we pay our own money into the association and wanted to be frugal with our expenses. The bartender and customer service manager who was also in there at the time didn't like that answer stating we should, "enjoy ourselves while you are here". We ate our burgers and left. They made us feel very uncomfortable by pushing the steaks and jack daniels off on us.

Before placing this review online I tried to contact hotel management. Jay Prater, the general manager, said it was nothing more than an overzealous bartender and there was just nothing he could do about that.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Jay P, Manager at Marriott Auburn Opelika at Grand National, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you for very much for your feedback and I also enjoyed speaking with you by phone. We certainly enjoyed hosting your group. Your feedback is very important to me and I have addressed the service issues that you experienced with the two staff members mentioned. Additional training has been conducted to insure that these situations are handled differently in the future. I certainly hope that we have the opportunity host your group again. Please feel free to contact me directly any time that you have concerns.

Been to Marriott Auburn Opelika at Grand National? Share your experiences!