“Too much hype” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Opelika
TN
“Too much hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed 1 night based on Tripadvisor reviews.
It is a nice hotel but there is nothing great about the service or facility.
I had to wait a very long time to check in.
I abhor the A/C units in hotels that do not have a constant fan on capability along with air conditioning--the units have good background noise but then turn off as the temperature is reached. If I choose to have the fan on constantly, there is no A/C function, which is worthless in the summer. This short-coming is very aggravating and prevents me from sleeping well.
Besides cleanliness, all hotels should focus on this detail and provide a constant on fan feature on A/C units.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
Dear Phaser,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our property.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding customer service and the air conditioning. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Auburn, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on July 18-22 201 for my family reuion. There were several other family reunions going on while I was there but from the time I checkd in until the minute i checked out, I was treated as an individual with respect. I was always greeted with a smile by Renea who was at the front desk the mornings during my stay. I was treated like family!
I live in Auburn just 12 minutes from Holday Inn Express but I am trying to find some time to reserve a room there again because the stay was WONDERFUL!

Room Tip: Presidential suite was great!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Chapin, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

Friendliest staff in the area (seriously), clean, neat, everything works. Great breakfast...love the coffee. We used to stay on College Street, but like this better. Accessing the University from "the back way" instead of 85 can save a lot of time depending on the time of day and traffic.
Very firm mattresses, which I like with my "bad back".

Room Tip: The King Suites are great, especially the Executive with the Jacuzzi. Sometimes available for only a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

This hotel is one of the least expensive between Montgomery and Atlanta, but is still a decent hotel. It appears to be new, but the beds were hard as rocks and the pillows were too. The room was clean and neat, but I was so uncomfortable I barely slept. Plus, we checked in late, so the front door was locked. Once the attendant unlocked the door, it took her TWENTY MINUTES to figure out how to give us my company's discount. After driving all day and into the night, I was not pleased. Overall, this hotel is much less expensive than nearby places, yet still a nice place.

• Stayed June 2013
Columbus, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

Visited family for the 4th of July and we really did not need to leave the hotel to have fun. The front desk staff was so sweet and helped make our stay comfortable. The room was clean and even smelled fresh. We will be back and would not stay any other place.

• Stayed July 2013
Orlando, Florida, USA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here three times in the last few years. It used to be great for location, value and spotless. Sadly, there needs to be some major deep cleaning done. The carpets are badly in need of steam cleaning. This was evident when my one year old crawled on the floor in our room and had black (yes BLACK!), knees, feet and hands after a short time. The bathroom floors feel sticky and need a deep clean also.

The rest of the room was fine. Bedding and towels in good condition but the carpets were a real disappointment. We changed rooms and the second room was the same. When I asked the staff how often the carpets were cleaned, they just gave me blank looks and smiles. I'm guessing that means they're not!

The staff are friendly and generally very helpful.

Breakfast is pretty awful but it's included in the rate. Processed 'junk' breakfast items, and cheap pastries are available. I grabbed a yoghurt and bagel. It's not that big of a deal but don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. Breakfast organization was poor- definitely need more staff on duty to replenish items and clean tables etc.

I haven't stayed in any other place in Auburn/Opelika so can't compare. I'm guessing they're all pretty much the same. I used to think this was a wonderful overnight hotel and great value for money. Now, i'm not so sure.

• Stayed June 2013
LynnDaughtry, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us. This is valuable information that I feel we will use to make improvements at our hotel, to ensure the total comfort of our guest.
detroit, michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here for the first time last weekend. (June 23-June 24). maybe that was the problem. The hotel staff at the desk was nice. Our lamps in our room with the plugs on the base, didn't work in any of the lamps. The bulbs were also burnt out in the bathroom and the vent fan didn't work. The room itself was nice and clean but frustrating since I spent most of the time in there working on work.

The breakfast was not as good as I had read reviews on this site. Again, maybe since it was Sunday morning? We arrived at breakfast at 8:45 (well before it was to end) The pancake machine wasn't working an NO attempt was made to even see what was wrong. A sign was stuck to the front saying "Sorry, but we hope you enjoy the rest of your stay" The eating area was trashed. Looked like there was a party there or something. No attempt was made to clean it up. Tables were a mess. The ceramic floor was all sticky with syrup or something else. There was no bread, bagels, cinnamon buns, bacon, butter, jelly etc. It was empty. I had to interrupt the two young ladies in the kitchen from texting to get more butter for the lone piece of bread I toasted. Twice I had to ask. I could understand if we showed up at the end of the breakfast but it still had over an hour to go!

The next day, I thought breakfast started early since it was a Monday and it "caters to the business traveler". We were up early to get a jump on our 14 hour ride home. We thought we could grab something toast etc and leave. The only thing ready was coffee. The young lady was cleaning out the fixtures which the food was to be put in. Again, I know it was early but please don't advertise it to start if nothing is going to be available.

Would we stay here again, not sure. I guess we just wouldn't depend upon the breakfast!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear cjmack,

Thank you for staying with us and providing us with your valuable feedback. I appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience your breakfast experience may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Opelika Auburn? Share your experiences!