“Great free, calm attraction” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Gardens, Outdoors
Clarksville, Tennessee
14 attraction reviews
“Great free, calm attraction”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

When I come into Birmingham with a couple of days at my disposal, I always make a point to stop by the gardens. It is free, which is a perk, and since they are gardens, there are fewer little kids then at the zoo or other outdoor attractions. So it usually a relaxing stroll with great scenery at any time of the year. Also, they have recently been renovating the conservatory, adding a whole new layer to the offerings!

Deltona
7 attraction reviews
“A Must SEE!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

The gardens are large, luscious, and beautiful. I visited in the fall and some of the tree were changing and few flowers still in bloom. I hope to go back in the spring one day. Every time you visit you will discover something new.

Visited October 2013
Hixson, Tennessee
“Can't wait to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We loved all the different gardens and the trails through the woods. The library was closed at the time of our visit, but there was sort of a farmer's market going on with lots of pumpkins, flowers, and such on display. We can't believe such a wonderful attraction was free, and we can't wait to go back.

Visited October 2013
Costa Mesa, California, United States
140 attraction reviews
“Overall, a recommended visit; gardens need a little upkeep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

A buddy of mine and I had a decent visit here during my first stay in this city. The Birmingham Botanical Gardens consist of a wide variety of scenic environments that make for pleasant strolls practically anywhere on the grounds. I’ve been spoiled by a vast number of awesome gardens and arboretums (e.g., SoCal, Seattle, Chicago, Denver, S.F.), so my overall ranking reflects these comparative experiences plus our impression that the upkeep of the grounds and buildings was slightly lacking. Also, the café was not open when we were there. All things considered, I would still recommend visiting.

The grounds are divided into 32 fairly well-defined areas which feature either gardens of a certain theme/flowers, wooded areas, or design from a specific world region (e.g., Japanese gardens). Get a map upon entering, and it will be much easier to find your way around. My favorite area were the Japanese Gardens, the Fern Glade and the Formal Gardens. Walking through the Hulsey Woods and Alabama Woodlands is also cool.

Good news: parking is free; admission is free.

Some minor issues, which could possibly detract from one’s experience:
* Garden upkeep in some areas was lacking; there were numerous muddy areas and some others where old, dried-up leaves were everywhere. I understand “natural,” but natural can also incorporate “tidy.” [Hint to landscapers: decorative stepping stones are a great way to nullify muddy pathways]
* Some of the buildings and structures need some refurbishment. You don’t notice this during a general view of the landscape, but upon closer inspection … hmmm.
* I learned that the café is not always open when the gardens are. Rather, it is open Tue – Fri, for events and corporate luncheons and dinners. How about serving garden patrons? A 4-day-a-week eatery supporting a 7-day-a-week attraction seems odd to me. I was there on a Monday and would have appreciated a bite to eat.

Visited September 2013
Costa Mesa, California, United States
140 attraction reviews
“Overall, a recommended visit; gardens need a little upkeep”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Good news: parking is free; admission is free.

Some minor issues, which could possibly detract from one’s experience: