“Best Fried Chicken Ever” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #47 of 368 restaurants in Montgomery
Cuisines: American
Description: Martin's Restaurant featuring "Home Style Cooking Since 1930's"Join us for Lunch or DinnerReservations AcceptedDine In OR Carry Out is Available
Portland, OR
“Best Fried Chicken Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2009

I live on the West Coast but travel to Montgomery once yearly. My trip would not be complete without a requisite visit to Martin's. This place rocks. I'm a serious foodie and this place it tried and true. Don't go looking for fine dining, it's all aobut the fried chicken. The pie is pretty awesome as well.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

70% Recommend
Alabama
“Fried Chicken is Fantastic!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

The fried chicken is, without a doubt, the best anywhere. Hot, perfectly seasoned, crisp on the outside and juicy on the inside. You can request all white meat- you get three huge pieces, any one of which would suffice for a meal. My advice is to take the rest home and chop it for a yummy salad the next day. Both the rolls and cornbread are also good. Stew, when they have it, is very good. Pies are terrific and towering. Sweet tea is also pretty good.

The only thing that keeps it from getting a five star on the food is the fact that the daily veggie selection ranges from great (sweet potatos) to so-so (rice and gravy) to the bizarre- pineapple and cheese casserole is something that I just can't get my head around. Also, be warned that the spaghetti is nothing to write home about- Southern meat and threes shouldn't try italian.

You should know that it closes early and is only open for Sunday lunch.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
montgomery
“never again”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

Martin's is over-rated.

The last time I was there, a server seemed to have an obsessive-compulsive disorder. She rushed up to our table and immediately started rearranging the condiments and napkins, yawping all the time. We noticed her doing the same at other tables.

The cashiers are aloof and act as if they're doing you a favor by taking your money.

On a previous visit, a friend and I ordered gravy "on the side." The server thought a moment, said, "I think I can do that." She arrived with our plates smothered in gravy--even the vegetables--and each of us were given an additional bowl of gravy!

Food is decent but nothing to write home about.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Pike Road
“Try the fried chicken”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2009

This restaurant has been a Montgomery staple for many years. The fried chicken is some of the best I’ve ever tried.

Alabama
“Not what I had hoped for but I'd give it one more try . . . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

I guess I'll be the only local with a dissenting opinion of this place because I'd give this piece of Montgomery lore a big fat "C". Famous for their fried chicken, Martin's dates back to the 1930's and has its share of national accolades. So many in fact that I'm now wondering if they are living off their reputation or if it was just a bad night. Everyone in our party of 7 had the chicken and none of us was impressed. Our waitress said that the breasts had come straight from the fryer, which was undoubtedly true since they were hotter than hades, so I'm pretty sure they hadn't been sitting around a while. However, they were overcooked, tough, dry and the skin, usually the best part in my opinion, had NO flavor! Sadly, we all had to use lots of salt and my nephew actually ended up putting ketchup on his last piece. This is a basically a meat-n-three place so, with my yard bird, I got cooked cabbage (good), cornbread stuffing (edible) and black eyed peas (decent). I also tried a biscuit (good) and a corn muffin (the court is still out on that one). One of my kids got green beans, which needed salt and the other got mashed potatoes which were instant. INSTANT!? I did not try the other side selections but like I said, no one in our party was overly impressed. However, the sweet tea was excellent and the pie - well it's GOOD but HUGE! Between us, we ordered a butterscotch, lemon, chocolate and coconut pie. All four were topped with real meringue and about 1/6 of a 9" pie - more than enough to share between two people unless you actually like eating sugar raw from the bag. We'll probably not return to Martin's anytime soon since we all think the chicken from Winn Dixie or Piggly Wiggly's deli is much better. This is quite sad because after living in the area for more than a year, I have yet to find a local joint that even comes close to its rep. But, we'll keep looking since taking out of town company to Bonefish Grill or Longhorn really isn't very exciting - or "southern".