“The best restaurant I ever stumbled upon” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Michael's Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 377 Restaurants in Montgomery
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Malone
Description: Recognized as one of Alabama"s Top 10 Dining Experiences, Michael's Table features international comfort foods and the finest wine list in the city.
Indiana
“The best restaurant I ever stumbled upon”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We found this restaurant on the back side of a strip mall when turning around while looking for a place to eat. Reservations are usually required, but it was the day after Valentine's Day and not so busy. After a long day in the car, we wanted something mild, so had a spinach salad and the spaghetti and meatballs. The meatballs were about the best I have ever gotten out - three huge pieces, but delicately spiced - not overwhelming. We could easily have split this entree. The spinach salad was tremendous with a nice warm bacon dressing - we did split it. We had New Zealand lager beer which went wonderfully with the meal. A great evening after lots of driving!

• Visited February 2012

“Perfect In Every Way!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

This is our favorite place to have a wonderful time. Everything we have tried on the menu has been delicious, and the presentation artistic. We especially love the lamb shanks and the jager schnitzel (very thin tender pork). The atmosphere is elegant, warm, and intimate. The service is excellent, and all of the staff, including Chef Michael, make you feel so welcome. There is an amazing winelist and a whole menu of martinis. We leave there wanting to return as soon as possible. Michael's Table is perfect in every way!

• Visited February 2012
California
“Delicious food that is fairly priced and served with gracious hospitality.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

We found a hidden gem in Montgomery. Located in a rear corner of a shopping complex at Zelda Place, this attractive restaurant immediately perks your appetite with wonderful aromas from the kitchen as you enter. It's not a large place so reservations are advisable. We didn't have one, and they couldn't seat us on our first visit, but, even as they turned us away, the staff was kind and helpful. A busy waiter came outside to recommend nearby alternatives for us while urging us to return. We made a reservation online and came back two nights later. We were impressed that the small, yet varied wine list offered all selections at $9 a glass or $29 a bottle. The standard menu plus daily specials featured both unique creations and down home fare. We split a perfect Spinach salad to start. My husband ordered a grilled shrimp over black bean cake dish that had great flavor with just the right heat and spice--would have made a terrific appetizer to share and it paired well with their driest Reisling. Yet, I had my own fantastic shrimp entree from the night's specials--Shrimp Mykanos. A delicately seasoned blend of meaty shrimp, mushrooms, tomatoes, scallions over tender farfalla pasta. Oh, it was yummy. Being hungry, my husband also chose a pot roast special with mashed potatoes and glazed carrots. He said it was the best he has ever had. We also shared a dessert we felt compelled to sample--a coconut cream pie with macadamian nuts, white chocolate and a cornflake crust. It was great! We were treated like special guests, as was every other table. Michael, the owner, came out as we were finishing to make sure we were happy with everything. The entire experience was delightful!

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Montgomery's Finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

It feels like we've been in Montgomery FOREVER now, though in reality it has only been 5 weeks. I have eaten at a number of different establishments and met really wonderful people everywhere I've been. There were just a couple places left on my "must try" list and I was trying to save some of the best for last. I found out last night, that I did!

Michael's Table is nestled in the back corner of the shopping area called "Zelda's Place". Perfect seclusion for a nice intimate dining experience without having to watch the heavy traffic of Zelda Road should you happen to take advantage of the patio seating.

Their name had been tossed around very little since I've been in town. I spotted it on a "top 10" list when we first rolled into town, but when I ask people if they've heard of this gem...crickets. This MUST be changed.... Hopefully by the end of this post, you'll agree and give them your attention.

We arrived shortly before 6 pm, when the seating begins for the dinner hour at Michael's. They do offer a lunch menu and a Sunday brunch menu, but after reviewing their offerings on the dinner menu, dinner looked more tempting to me. I loved how ALL of their menus were short; it gave me less time to fumble around deciding on what to indulge in.

Because we arrived before the dinner crowd I was able to catch my shots of the inside and outside without disturbing other guests. I try not to when they ARE there, but this assured me that I wouldn't be interfering; I was glad for that.

When I went through the menu my eyes settled on two things I KNEW I couldn't go wrong with; the Mezze and the Crostini. If you've read any of my other reviews you know I am a HUGE addict, uh...fan of hummus. But, even more so of crusty, warm breads and cheese. Of course, I'm salivating just thinking about this! My Mister and I decided to go with the crostini. I knew from looking before I came that quite possibly no matter WHAT they said their "best dish" was, I was most likely going to order the Grillades & Grits. The grits and greens were calling my name....I couldn't help it. Then there was the "Alabama Caviar" caveat to it...surely it wasn't actual caviar. But I HAD to find out!

We were pretty settled in with the Sprout. He was having a grand time. The dinner crowd had started to file in and the other guests were flirting and playing at him from across the room. It is always interesting to me how many people think he's such a handsome looking fellow. I of course am bias... It only took a short time of this distraction before our appetizer was on its way to the table. What a sight!

I don't think I can adequately describe ALL the things that happened in my mouth when I tried each of these pairings, but for me I was almost intoxicated by their flavors and textures. I am sure my eyes rolled into the back of my head for at least a couple of them. I'll admit my Mister had a hard time with the Gorgonzola & Roasted Fruit (It tasted like a spiced apple...) combination. But I completely understood where the chef was coming from. They complimented each other well. You need to be able to stand the robust flavor of the Gorgonzola however; some people have no patience for its intense, sophisticated robustness. I do. I thoroughly enjoyed every morsel I tried.

At the beginning of this course they also brought us a lovely basket of crusty bread with a fresh spring pesto olive oil dipping sauce.

It was truly divine. The warm bread hit the oil pesto and the dance began! The heat from the bread really brought out the initial flavor of the basil and minced garlic, then at the very end, right when you are about to swallow it hits you...the mint and the hint of parmesean. Cross your EYES fabulous! I am fairly certain we went through two baskets of that during our meal. Just spectacular!!

Of course with a lead in like this, heaven help my entree. My expectations were through the roof for this dish. Then it came....just a gorgeous plating.

I tried each component of the entree by itself. The "Alabama Caviar" was first. Such nice and clean flavors! I was really surprised and very pleased. I'm not usually a fan of "bean salads" of any kind. I never have been...but I am NOW! The vinegar really cut through the heavy flavor of the bean and completely TRANSFORMED it into a sweet treat. The greens, hand to God, were the BEST greens I've had since I've been in Alabama. Most of the time they are overcooked and just...tired. These were just done; you could taste the garlic and such a pleasant compliment to the color of the dish itself. A nice bright addition.

Then...there were grits. Also, the best grits I've had since I have been in Alabama. I couldn't help but smile as I was stuffing myself silly with this food! The pork...let me tell you about this pork. They brought this entree out with this ginormous meat knife. I was a little shocked...then worried. I thought, "If I actually NEED that, I won't like this dish." I proceeded with caution. But I discovered quickly it was unwarranted. I stuck only my fork in and pulled. When I did the pork just FELL off the bone and flaked apart. This entree from beginning to end was a total work of art! Trying all these elements alone...then on the fork with all of them together, it didn't matter; the flavors married perfectly all together as well. There were NO mistakes in this dish. As I was eating my leftovers today, I searched for faults still and couldn't find any.

My compliments to the chef! Magnific!! When I asked him what their "best dish" was because I wanted to get the best impression of them that I possibly could, he copped a nice smile and said "They're all great!" I've heard that enough times to choke a horse and in most cases the comment doesn't end up holding true. But, at Michael's Table, it DOES!

For a nice, quiet evening in the heart of Montgomery; with food that pleases the eye, feeds the soul and tickles the tongue, Michael's is your place without question! Don't miss visiting this fine dining establishment. Next time I am in town, I won't be saving this for last. Not ever again!!

• Visited March 2011
Montgomery, Alabama
“New Menu poor steak, slow service, back to Montgomery Standard”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

$29 ribeye steak should not be 1/3 fat, served with a soggy grilled salad with little to no taste and way to much lettuce stalk. Took over 45 minutes to take order and another hour to produce food. The old menu was much better. The split check tip was an automatic 20%, well not worth it. Two glasses of wine for $26, way over priced. Will not returned.

• Visited April 2011