“Could be really good...” 3 of 5 stars

Home Inn & Suites Montgomery
5709 Express Drive, US 231 Troy Hwy, Montgomery, AL 36116   |
Ranked #22 of 73 hotels in Montgomery
Shallotte, North Carolina, United States
“Could be really good...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

The hotel itself was fine. It is fairly new, but you can really tell it is being run as an economy hotel. They need to keep up with the maintenance. Small things like proper caulking in the bathroom and wrinkles in the carpets are noticeable. The bed was comfortable, tv was old style with no channel line-up available. The room itself was large. The breakfast was a joke. Some "little debbie" type honeybuns and a loaf of white bread for toast.
I will stay again because for the price, 38.99 with coupon, it was worth the money. If after another year or so the maintenance it not kept up properly then it may fall into a place not to stay, but for now it's good for the money.. Front desk girl was great...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

26 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
honolulu
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

When I arrived it was late and the rep at the desk was very friendly and bubbly. She ensured I was oriented to my room and all the amenities to include breakfast. Nice sized room!
I found a used washrag under the sink, not happy about that but was happy about the customer service reps concerned mannerism. Thank You.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
D.C. Metro (Maryland side)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

NO COFFEE MACHINE! seriously???? if you are going to make a cheap hotel attractive to visitors that are on the road and just stopping in for a night, this is a must. But as far as cheap places go, it met our needs.

The Good - The accomadations were clean. was wary at first, but turned out to be nice and clean, beds were comfy. Not a place I would stay at for more than a night as a stop over on my way to somewhere, but clean and comfy.

The Great - The check in lady - Michelle. Very friendly but not to the point where you wanted to sneak away as soon as her back was turned. Very welcoming.

Why you'd Avoid - Breakfast was embaressing. They have no stove, so no hot meals, the danish were pre wrapped, there was supposed to be some fresh fruit or something decent, but there was nothing. If you are looking for a place to get up and go with a decent continental breakfast, this is not the place.

Overall this place was on the low side of OK. They say they want to compete with the likes of a holiday inn express or a La Quinta inn but this place is definitely a grade below. This is better than a motel 6 in my opinion, but just barely. Would not stay here again, would rather stay at one of their competitors that has some hot food for breakfast. even if it is just from a pancake maker or cinnamon buns under a heatlamp.

IF you found this review helpful, please click yes on the tab below so I know I helped others with their travels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Gridley, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Simple, clean and very reasonable. Will definitely stay again. Secured coupon out of travel magazine. Management very nice and spoke clear English............... .......... ............. .. ..... ...... ...... ........

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I tried to book a handicapped accessible room and I have a pet. I mainly just needed a hand held
shower because the other rooms do not have a hand held shower. They told me that there are no
handicapped "pet friendly" rooms. I then asked if they had a room with an easy chair, not a desk chair but an easy chair. I was told no because they thought I would put the easy chair into the
bathtub. (Is that even possible?) I assured them that I had no intention of putting the easy chair
in the bathtub. So I asked them if they could just move an easy chair into the room for me and I was told yes. I explained that an easy chair is not a desk chair but an overstuffed "comfortable" chair. Arrived at the hotel around 5pm. I had been told when I made the reservation the fee would be $43 + $10 pet fee. When I tried to check in they tried to charge me $53 + $10 pet fee. I convinced the clerk of the rate I was quoted. (The travel book says $39). I was willing to pay $53 pet included. After I paid for the room I asked to make sure there had been an easy chair put in the room. Was told by the clerk that she did not know. So, I walked to the room and checked and there was no easy chair. Returned to the front desk, asked if an easy chair could be placed there and was told "NO" that was not in the orders, could not be done. I got a refund and left. Had to call all around looking for another hotel. Will never stay there. Fairly new hotel, looked neat and clean, customer service very poor.

Room Tip: Get in writing everything you are promised, fee and ammenities.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cuijk, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were driving from Atlanta to New Orleans and this was the perfect stop. It was close enough to the freeway. It was clean and comfortable. Nice people and cheap. Great value! It even included a nice breakfast. All we needed.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I picked this hotel because my family was looking for an inexpensive place to stop on our way to Panama Beach. I got great rates through Bookit.com. I called the hotel and asked about a late check-out since we would not be arriving until around 2 AM. Mike said the best he could do was 12:00 PM. I thought this was great considering normal check out when booking through bookit.com was 11:00AM. I reserved two rooms over the phone, one for myself and one for our 2 kids (ages 20 & 21). I asked Mike to please make a note that our check out was not until 12:00 PM as we discussed. He said no problem . I gave him my credit card number and thought I was all set. I called the day before arrival just to confirm my reservations. We arrived in Montgomery as expected around 2 AM. The person working the desk scanned my card and I made sure there was a note on our reservations that we were not checking out until 12:00 PM. He said we were all set. Our family was so tired we went to our room and went straight to sleep. At 10:00 AM we were woke up by the cleaning staff beating on the door, eventhough we had the Do Not Disturb sign on the door. I answered the door and she said check out is at 11. I told her about our prior arrangements and that we were not checking out until 12 PM and she said she had not record of this. I went into the room and called the front desk and spoke with Mike again and said he would take care of it. I walked down to our kids room and they said the girl just opened the door and walked right in their room. They also showed me a huge cockroach they had trapped under a can of soda and a huge spider in the corner. Also, the towels in my room and our kids room had long strings of black hair on them! Our family was just ready to get on to Florida to start our vacation so I didn't make a fuss or anything at check-out. Well, to my surprise the hotel had actually charged my credit card twice. Once on 8/31 the date of check-in and on 9/1 when my card was scanned upon arrival at 2 AM. When I noticed this I called the hotel and let them know about the mistake. They promised to make it right. One of the charges stayed as pending on my account for seven days until it was released. That was really frustrating since we were on a budget and would have liked to have access to that money while on vacation! I was a little surprised during one of my conversations with the hotel that they said this sort of thing is really common. I have never had this happen before and have stayed at plenty of hotels! My money was returned but I felt I had to write this review to let people know about my experience with this establishment. I was trying to save money and instead ended up paying double and having to wait a week to get my money back. The staff was nice during my calls regarding the over charge, but I felt it was not worth all the headache.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Home Inn & Suites Montgomery? Share your experiences!