“A Real Taste of the South” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch
USA
“A Real Taste of the South”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

On a recent road trip through the south, I promised myself that I would 1) eat well, and 2) eat a lot. Fortunately for me, Mrs. B's helped me do both! The restaurant is set up similar to a cafeteria where (most) patrons order a meal which includes a meat, two sides, and a drink, all for $9. You could also order a sandwich or other foods as well, though. I chose smothered chicken over rice, which was by far the best meal I had down south. The meat fell off the bones, the gravy was flavorful, and the rice pulled everything together.

I had collard greens and macaroni and cheese as my sides. Although it was the first time I had eaten collard greens, I can say that it won't be my last. The macaroni and cheese was deliciously cheesy, and baked just the right amount.The only problem was that it ended up getting cold because I was too focused on finishing my chicken.

My wife had fried chicken, mashed potatoes and macaroni and cheese. Her only complaint was that the mashed potatoes were salty (I agreed). Also, after sitting down with our food, it took almost ten minutes for our drinks to arrive to our table. These were honestly the only shortcomings of the whole experience.

The location is right near Maxwell AFB in a residential neighborhood. The atmosphere is homey, warm, and simple-- the perfect place for 'homecooking'. My only regret was that I didn't spend more time in Montgomery to eat at Mrs. B's a couple more times. If I ever find myself within driving distance again, I know where I will be eating!

Selma, AL
“Superior Soul Food and Friendly Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

What a great meal we had today at Mrs. B's. Went there with four others and there wasn't a person who didn't like everything on their plates. Excellent fried chicken and smothered pork chops--both cooked to tasty perfection. Veggies included fried corn, rice & gravy, green beans, greens, lima beans, sweet potatoes, and macaroni & cheese. Everyone of them were delicious. Large portions and oooh-so-good! Servers came by several times to see if anyone needed anything or get drink refills. The restaurant is in an remodeled house. You enter the front door and go to the food line. After getting your tray and silverware, you choose your meat and veggies as well as roll or cornbread. There are desserts and sandwiches that can be ordered--but why mess with soul perfection!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“A gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We stopped by on our way through town and ended up with the best soul food we've ever tasted! Incredible. Around $9 per person including drinks and more food than we could eat. It was awesome!!

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Bring Your Appetite”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

You'll need it! A friend and I went for lunch on a weekday and absolutely had the best soul food meal ever. It's sort of cafeteria style -- pick your items, pay at the end of the line and then seat yourself. If you are planning to eat in, get your tea in a plastic cup so you can get the free refills (not the Styrofoam take out cups!). The ladies working there were sweet as can be and very attentive with the refills. It's a varied lunch crowd with lots of people from the base as well as people working downtown.

Don't be put off by the view from Maxwell Blvd, you'll feel right at home, I promise!

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Unbelievably delicious with incredible kindness!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We were just passing through Montgomery & looking for a traditional Southern meal, Mrs. B WAY out did any expectation we had!!! The food was delicious & the people were even better!

It feels like they're welcoming you into their home!

The fried chicken and Mac & Cheese are must haves!

• Visited July 2013