“Not Worth the Effort” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 63 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: This tribute to the "Mother of the Civil Rights Movement" honors Rosa Parks, the African-American woman who, in 1955, sparked the civil rights movement by refusing to give her bus seat to a white man. The museum helps visitors relive this tumultuous era with a video, artifacts, historical documents, a lifesize statue of Rosa Parks and a replica of the bus in which she sat that day.
Montgomery, Alabama
8 attraction reviews
“Not Worth the Effort”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Not much of a museum or library. Seemed to be a propaganda center instead. Certainly much more interesting places to visit in Montgomery. Old Alabama Town is much more interesting and informative.

Visited September 2013

Atlanta, Georgia
11 attraction reviews
“WOW!! What a great experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I absolutely loved this museum! I was in town for a wedding and the bride suggested I come a little early to check out some of the attractions. Well living in Atlanta, I've seen the MLK stuff so this was an opportunity to see the Rosa Parks side of things -- and also, being from Detroit -- I felt a connection because Mrs. Parks moved to Detroit from Montgomery and spent the rest of her years there. This museum did not disappoint! The way her story was narrated and presented -- OMG -- I thought I was right there while it was happening! I mean, I saw Mrs. Parks, the bus driver, people getting on and off the bus, Mrs. Parks quietly saying "No, I will not get up.". The way the whole exhibit is put together is just fabulous -- you can even sit on the bus with Dr. King and the others who took the "Victory Ride". Me describing this museum does not do it justice. You have to see and experience it for yourself -- I'm definitely taking my son the next time I get back there!

Visited September 2013
Wales
71 attraction reviews
“Great museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Great museum, thoughtfully organised and superbly done. If you go on a saturday, just make sure you remember it closes around 3/4pm

Visited November 2012
San Jose, California
3 attraction reviews
“Not to be missed, if you're a history/civil rights buff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The way Rosa Parks' arrest is re-enacted is quite amazing. It's hard to describe.... there is a cross section of a city bus and images of the passengers, including Parks, and bus driver are projected into the windows. I'm not doing it justice AT ALL. We were told that Parks has visited the museum & library and was happy with the fact that it addresses the struggles of all blacks, and not just her.

I learned a great deal about her arrest and the resulting boycott. I thought I knew all about it, but I was wrong. You also learn about MLK's part in the boycott, all the obstacles that the city threw at the blacks during their non-violent protest against Parks' arrest, and the ways the black community met and overcame these obstacles.

If you're at all interested in modern history and/or civil rights, this is a don't miss attraction.

Visited April 2013
Jackson, Mississippi
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

For the price I was expecting a lot more. The portion in the children's area with a bus that was a time machine was silly at best. The area in the main museum wasn't a whole lot better. I thought it would be more enlightening, but it really wasn't. I was very surprised that Rosa Parks went through Communist and organized labor workshops. It gave me the feeling that the entire thing was staged, and not a spur of the moment thing.

Visited August 2013

Been to Rosa Parks Library and Museum? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Rosa Parks Library and Museum, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.