“nice breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast
Montgomery, Alabama
“nice breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We have been to egg & I twice and were very pleased with every thing. They usually are very busy on Sunday morning so we had to wait for about 20 mins. Food, service and the atmosphere was great. I love their coffee. Will certainly go back their !!!

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Montgomery, Alabama
“Third time was the charm (for never going back)...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Maybe I'm a glutton for punishment, but it took three awful experiences with The Egg & I before I was convinced (and sick) enough to never go back.

On the first occasion, we went because we received valuable coupons in the mail and thought "why not just check it out." They were overly busy (with NOWHERE for people to wait except for blocking the entrance inside). They were unprepared for the onrush of people, the simple food orders were very slow coming out and the service was lackluster, peppered with people training other, even newer, servers. We chalked it up to them just being a new place.

Some months later, our second experience was the same, but worse. Same problems as the above, except amplified somewhat. Add on to the mass of people glutted up out front, the slowness of the food and near lack of service (where IS that waitress we saw when we first got here?) that THIS time my food (simple pancakes at potatoes) arrived cold. it was as if it had been sitting there ready half the time we'd been waiting for it. We once again let it go since they were so incredibly busy. Overstaffed, even . . . but seemingly super-wrapped-up and unable to deal with all the folks in there, most of whom were waiting.

Yesterday, we took our nieces there for brunch . . . and it was again the same. We even heard a waitress (one that we saw more than once, but serving other customers) tell her table that a cook had walked out that morning. Our food was unacceptably long in coming out (over an hour) and my raspberry pancake arrived nearly as cold as the yogurt that came with it. Not wanting to ruin our nieces' fun visit, we pressed on and I ate. I've been sick ever since. I'm sick even now, come hours later. Nausea and constantly running for the bathroom. Really awesome.

My wife politely mentioned things (I wasn't sick yet, though) when paying. They fetched the manager and he gave us our meal gratis, which was exactly what they should've done. Can't fault them for that.

Regardless of this, I will never go back. Repeated patterns. I think I was half-crazy to have gone three times. I'd suggest that you just hit a Waffle House, if you're wanting breakfast.

Seriously bad.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Prattville, Alabama
“Hiker's Benedict...Oh MY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We love The Egg and I. I've tried several menu items and everything has been delicious. I tend to try the benedicts the most and the Hiker's is my favorite. It is PLENTY of food so I like to have someone to split the entrée with. My daughters love the waffles and the chocolate chipper pancake. The prices are fairly reasonable, maybe a little more than your standard bacon, eggs and grits eatery but well worth it. You will not be disappointed with The Egg and I!

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Millbrook, Alabama
“Good End to a Hard Shift”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I'm a RN at one of the local hospitals and me and my friends stopped by for breakfast after a long shift. Mind you they are only open for Breakfast and Lunch so no late night dinner dates here!

I ordered a rather spicy dish the Green Chili Chicken Hash. It was cooked nicely and my eggs were smothered in a green chili sauce all placed on a bed of ranch potatoes. Mind you it was spicy and had quite the kick! As for quantity there was plenty to eat and I was nicely filled. (after a hard shift most people are starving!)

Service was great and my water glass never stayed empty, and I drained it quite a few times. My coworkers dishes looked amazing as well and they had nothing bad to say to about them. Truly I'll be trying their breakfast burrito next time.

If you've got the time, stop by and have a hearty breakfast. They have a wide assortment of omelets as well as freshly made waffles.

Final bill:

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Irvine, California
“lots to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

plenty different egg dishes. Eggs Benedict in many varieties. Very filling and well tasting egg based food.

Visited June 2013