“Stepping back in time” 5 of 5 stars

+1 334-264-4222
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 55 things to do in Montgomery
More attraction details
Owner description: This historic house honors novelist F. Scott, best known for "The Great Gatsby," and his wife, Zelda, artist and author. The museum operates out of the last surviving home they lived in during their lives together. The structure was saved from demolition in 1986.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Stepping back in time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

What a wonderful stop in Montgomery. We visited the museum this past weekend and it was as if we were stepping back in time, to the romantic era of the south. When you walk in the front door you are greeted by an extremely knowledgeable curator, who spends hours a day talking about the life of Scott and Zelda. Inside, is a quaint warm house filled with letters, ledgers, pictures, and what I found extremely interesting, Zelda's artwork. Her access to the great artists of her time, such as Picasso and Georgia O'Keeffe are evident in her own artwork. This opens your mind to imagining the roaring twenties and the eccentric life they led. The museum is a must see for any age, a tangible place where time seems to stand still for a moment, long enough to wrap you mind around these two and their impact on our world.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank LeBonTempsRouler

Cumming, GA
87 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 101 helpful votes
“Wonderful for Fitzgerald fans!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

I'd just finished Z the novel and was very excited to see the only standing home of Scott and Zelda. Unfortunately, the house has been converted into four apartments, only one of the apartments conrtains the museum, but what a treasure trove they have! Lots of art, pictures, books and artifacts. Also the man who worked there - I so sorry I forgot his name, but he was fantatastic. He knew everything and was full of tidbits, trivia and opinions. Had it not been for the kids, I could have spent the day talking to him!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank RoadWarrior0219
Westchester County, New York
346 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 360 helpful votes
“My somewhat evasive next door neighbors, Zelda and Scott”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

When I found myself in Montgomery for other reasons, I simply had to access another opportunity to get close to a most spirited association formed years ago with two of my immediate neighbors, Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald.

They frequently made extended weekend visits, often otherwise unaccompanied, to the residence of a young railroad magnate in Orange County, New York, an impressive house cum large side yard field located immediately across the street from my living room's picture window. This vantage point was obviously ideal for inappropriate spying, regularly anticipating their walks, monitoring their playful interactions,

There is, however, one tiny caveat to this story. I did start out of the gates by saying our relationship was a "highly spirited" one. That timbered mansion and all its outlying accoutrements, save for a few hints of the parameters for a once elaborate well, were long gone, burned to embers two generations before I ever lived there. Save for a few problems related to unfortunate timing, I like to think they might well have invited us over for a dry martini or two.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank bebri a
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Attended book signing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013

I attended the book signing of, "Z - A novel of Zelda Fitzgerald". It was well attended. The museum has so many items of the Fitzgerald's.

Visited April 2013
2 Thank MaconMemories
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“The only one in the world!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Take an hour of your day to get a peek into the eclectic lives of the Fitzgeralds...you'll watch a 20-min video about their lives and influences here in MGM and then you'll be able to walk around the few rooms that are open to the public..don't make the same mistake I did and go upstairs expecting to see more of the house--it was converted into 3 apts,so only a quarter of the house is the actual museum part LOL!

Visited April 2013
5 Thank xenaht2000

Been to The Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald Museum? Share your experiences!