“A nice tribute” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 37 attractions in Montgomery
Type: Specialty Museums, History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Hank Williams Museum in Montgomery, AL is a number-one destination for music fans. Exhibits include the 1952 Cadillac in which he died, 17 stage suits including Nudie , custom made boots, cowboy hats, tie collection, furniture, portraits, records, horse saddle, piano,awards, rare photos, family history and personal film footage. Experience the history of the first country music superstar and see how Hank Williams transformed country music and sowed the seeds of what was to become American Music, blues, rockabilly and even rock and roll.
Manistique, Michigan
11 attraction reviews
“A nice tribute”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2011

I'm not a fan of country music, but even so, I enjoyed visiting the Hank Williams Museum. It is a nice collection and is very informative. I agree with the earlier reviewer who suggested something of a timeline. I was not very familiar with Hank Williams before going to the museum, so I had to keep asking my husband to clarify for me. The car is amazing as are most of the other artifacts. The price is OK, but it seemed a little steep for such a small museum ($8 per adult). They do, however, give a AAA discount. They also give a $1 discount if you pay in cash (they won't stack the discounts though - we were AAA and paid cash, but still just $1 off per admission). Even with the price, this is a museum that I would highly recommend if you are visiting Montgomery. It tells the story of an important piece of cultural history it is worth the time!

Visited April 2011

oklahoma
“on the lost highway?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2009

Be sure and stop at the Hank Williams Museum I visited in 2004 drove 600mi. to get there, loved it. HANK WILLIAMS FOREVER!!!!!! on a sader note hated to here of Don Helms passing.

north bay ontario
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2006

What a pleasure visiting the Hank Williams museum, Mr. Cecil Jackson has done a fantastic job, it is truely a labour of love, my wife and I visited Nov. 11 2006, Cecil is one of the most interesting people we have ever had the pleasure of listening to, two days later [nov. 13] we returned to the museum to purchase souvenirs, and had the good fortune to meet Beth, Cecils daughter, she is also a wealth of information. It is so easy to see that Cecil and Beth are cut from the same cloth, not only are they dedicated informed Hank Williams fans, they are two of the nicest, kindest, genuine people you will ever meet on the face of the earth. The museum is a real treat, in fact, I recommend a visit to Montgomery to everyone, it is a city chalk full of history. We will be back!

A TripAdvisor Member
“Not quite "A Mansion On The Hill"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2003

I was practically overwhelmed with emotion as I stood in the heart of downtown Montgomery looking into that infamous backseat wondering what could have been.

The experience of standing within feet of the baby blue cadillac that Hank made his final journey in is an experience that should be felt by anyone who has ever been touched by this legend's music.

Just a few more feet away, encased in glass, stood a manequin displaying the blue suit, hat and boots worn by America's first music megastar as he took his last breath. One word: unbelievable.

The museum itself is nothing to write home about. In fact, I felt a little disjointed when I saw how small and seemingly unimportant it seemed from the outside. No neon lights. No fancy grand entrance. Just a small "Window Shopping" looking joint that rests hidden between some of the city's busiest buildings.Something tells me, however, Hank wouldn't have minded that one bit.

The items/exhibits on the inside more than make up for it. A giant Kaw-Liga statue greets visitors upon entrance while original vinyl records of Hank William's music (played on an antique stereo system) whisper his pain and sorrow quietly in the background. Just around the corner is a handwritten note from Hank to his "momma" along with a wall of other items any true Hank fan would deem priceless. A small theater off to the side plays films dedicated to the memory of Williams. A few more steps and several stage outfits belonging to him and his children (Hank, Jr. and Jet Williams) become visible. The centerpiece, of course, is the Cadillac. What can I say? You just have to see it for yourself.

As I left I dropped close to $100 bucks in the small but stocked giftshop and picked up printed directions to the memorial, auditorium, and gravesite.

My only complaint with the Hank Williams Museum is that there seemed to be no true timeline of Hank's life. The exhibits seemed to be scattered and in no real cronological order. I can see how that may be a little confusing to someone new to his life and music.

With a little financial help and a little better organization, I believe this museum can become one of the most essential musical destinations in this country. Make the trip yourself and see. Hell, Hank's worth it. Ain't he?