“Bad Food, Bad Service” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Montgomery, AL
“Bad Food, Bad Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

The carryout order service at this restaurant is deplorable. They can't keep orders straight, ignore customers who are waiting, and continuously ask people "now what was your name, what did you order?"

The food I finally received after 45 minutes from the time I ordered the food (not the 20 minutes I was told) was terrible. It only took 5 minutes to drive home; however, only one item (ribs) was still warm. Pulled pork was cold, dry, and hard. Turkey was inedible it was so dry and hard, beef brisket was cold and dry. They can't even properly cook apples - they were incredibly tough. They also serve these little tiny muffins - that were cold with coagulated cheese in them.

I also observed a lot of chaos among the waitstaff at this restaurant during the long wait I had for my carryout order. It seems to me that this restaurant is suffering from really bad management.

73% Recommend
Montgomery
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2008

I never cared much for barbecue, but unfortunately Jim N Nick's changed that for me. I originally went because the menu offered a few non-barbecue items such as Greek salad, chicken fried chicken, and ham and pimiento cheese sandwich. After a few visits, however, I became a real fan of the barbecue. It's always perfect. The brisket, chicken, and pork are just fresher and of a better quality and cooked perfectly. Portions are usually generous. I've had better ribs elsewhere. All of the sides (trimmings) are outstanding, especially the collards, creamed spinach, macaroni and cheese, and cabbage. The cheese muffins have become famous locally just as they are in Birmingham, where Jim N Nick's originated. I have probably dined at Jim N Nick's close to 100 times and never had a horrible experience. I once ordered the chicken salad sandwich and was disappointed with it because it was made with smoked chicken and the flavors just didn't work in a mayo-based salad. That was the only negative experience with the food I have had. I once had a server who was absent-minded, but I think she was new and I never saw her again after that particular visit. Every other time, the servers range from good to better than average. There's a good vibe there most of the time among the staff. You can sense that they are content, if not happy, and not overworked and stressed. One the manager once went out of his way to speed up my to-go order even though I had arrived early to pick it up. Drinks are always promptly refilled. I don't think any restaurant is absolutely perfect, but at Jim N Nick's, they try to be and it shows.

Douglasville, Georgia
“Bad Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

My husband and I have been regularly enjoying the food at your Montgomery, AL establishment since my husband has been visiting the area the last couple of years as a member of the Air Force Reserve at Maxwell AFB. Each time, the food has been consistently good and the service outstanding. This past weekend, we decided to dine again at Jim and Nicks but this time, to our major disappointment, the experience was quite different.

We ordered our favorite appetizer, the queso dip and ordered and extra side of Serrano peppers because we really enjoy them. Our waitress, Renae (who never even told us her name. I got it off of our receipt) brought the dip to our table, told us the kitchen was out of peppers and quickly disappeared. The dip wasn’t even nice and hot like it usually is and she didn’t even give us the option of ordering another appetizer since we really wanted the peppers in the first place. We let that go by because we were tired and hungry and didn’t want to make a big deal.

Things went downhill from there. We had eaten just some of the lukewarm, pepper-less dip when she brought our main courses to the table, the rack of ribs for my husband and the grilled chicken sandwich with added onion for me. Renae asked if there was enough onion. I said yes, and again she disappeared. My husband said something doesn’t look right and then I noticed that I was given a grilled piece of fish and not chicken. Renae eventually came by to check and took back the fish to reorder the correct meal. After what seemed quite a long time ( my husband had eaten at least half of his meal) she brought me back my “ corrected” order—this time sliced chicken or turkey with BBQ sauce over the top. Yes, the onions were there but I still hadn’t gotten what I ordered.

By this time my husband was furious and I wasn’t too happy either. She took the food back for the third time and my husband requested a manager to come to our table. After a few minutes, this guy came to our table, never introduced himself, and asked us what happened. My husband explained and the manager told us he would comp the cheese dip and my chicken sandwich. I finally got my food after another lengthy wait ( it wasn’t even that busy) and when my husband requested the check, Renae dropped it off and it still had the items charged on it that the manager had said he would comp. I guess there was no communication between wait staff and management and he had to correct our bill.

As I said, we were so disappointed about what happened. I don’t know if it’s a training issue or a food issue but good, consistent food and service is so important to us that I’m sorry to say I don’t know if we will be back or can recommend your establishment to friends and family because of this incident.