“Very comfortable and close to downtown area” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District to your Saves list
Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Government Street, Mobile, AL 36602 (Formerly Lafayette Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #13 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
Dunwoody, Georgia, USA
“Very comfortable and close to downtown area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for the First Light Half Marathon. This hotel was located at the start and only a few blocks from the finish. It was a very nice hotel to stay at and a great value for a downtown hotel.

There is plenty of parking around the hotel but you will be charged per day to park in the hotel lot. The hotel gives you a pass to put on the dash of your car.

Check-in was quick and friendly. The room had a slight cleaning smell when we first went in but it wasn't bad and dissipated during our stay. The HVAC was quiet. Internet speed was very slow but adequate for email and browsing. I had some skips when streaming SiriusXM. The High Definition TV did not have high definition channels - only standard definition.

There is a nice bar on the top floor with great views. It is quite large but not that active when we were there (it was early and the night before the marathon.) It did smell a bit smokey so I assume smoking is still allowed in bars in this area but I didn't see anyone smoking.

You are a few blocks from Royal St. and a lot of nice restaurants. Easy walking distances from a lot of places to go to eat.

Overall this a nice hotel for a great price.

Room Tip: The higher the room the better the view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown Mobile Alabama. In my work I stay at many of the holiday inn chain hotels, however I have never stayed at one that was of this quality and hospitality. It was exceptionally clean, with a fantastic staff, and the room was newly furnished and kept in good order. I had the pleasure of meeting the Vice President of the hotel; and had the honor of having lunch with her. Maura truly represents herself and the hotel in the utmost professionalism, and it is my pleasure to strongly recommend this hotel...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

This Holiday Inn is located in the charming historic area of downtown Mobile. The lobby was clean, gorgeous, and exuded the charm of a bygone era. John, the front desk agent, was extremely cordial and ensured I received a complimentary beverage given to all Priority Club members. Our room was clean and the beds were comfortable so we had a refreshing night's rest after a long day of driving and visiting. The sink area and the actual toilet and tub were separated. This made for somewhat tight quarters in this area, which is the only small complaint about the room. The hotel does have an onsite restaurant, however, we did not dine in it. It is close to several museums and in driving distance to a unique and fun restaurant named Lambert's Cafe (aka The Throwed Roll), located in Foley, AL. Of course, locally, one can get their fill of local seafood and great barbecue. I highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Alexandria, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

I booked a 2 queen bedroom for one night on Hotwire and it was just amazing! The staff was wonderful. The lady who checked us in, Sonya, was so polite and helped us with everything! The lobby is just beautiful and the location of the hotel is amazing. I suggest you ask for a high floor so you get a better view of the city! One thing that was difficult was the parking. There is not that much parking around the hotel itself. It took a while to find a parking space. Overall, this is a really nice hotel to stay at!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Fort Myers, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was very impressed with this establishment. I was expecting a low key, quick in and out stay on a road trip from Florida to Texas. The front desk really went above and beyond to make it a great experience. Erin offered me a free drink coupon from the bar, and called about 2 hours in to make sure everything was all right. It was. I didn't use the coupon but it was a nice thing for them to do. The room was average, with a nice view of Mobile. Nothing was out of order. For the price, a fantastic place to stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors= better views!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Today 12/23 is my birthday, my girlfriend and I just drove from Tampa and are exhausted. We arrived without a reservation and were greeted with very pleasant and very professional Sonja at the front desk. We were checked in at a very reasonable price and made great conversation with Sonja along with getting a great dinner recomondation. I want to thank sonja and the rest of her staff for making our arrival and stay feel like we are regular guests. We will be back on our round trip.

P.s. the room is very clean and updated. No problem at all

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed here a couple of nights ago and was very pleased with the hotel. I was first impressed by the size of the Holiday Inn and when we enters we were greeted by the front desk staff among them was Susan who made sure we had everything we needed for a pleasurable stay. I also met with Maura during afternoon and she recommended the in house restaurant as well as the Admiral next door. I chose to venture out and I'm glad I did I had a delectable meal there during a not so typical lunch buffet. I would love to suggest items on that we're served, however they vary the selections daily.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District? Share your experiences!