“Very Clean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District

You added Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District to your Saves list
Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   301 Government Street, Mobile, AL 36602 (Formerly Lafayette Plaza Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #10 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
Bronx, New York
“Very Clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

This was my very first time here in mobile. I was afraid to stay here based on the reviews but I'm sooo glad I chose to stay. It is newly renovated .The rooms are big and have a small fridge and a microwave. There's a business center with 3 computers. Free wifi (thats a big + for me) The staff is very PROFESSIONAL and most HELPFUL. I cannot thank Ms. Garino enough for making this stay so pleasant. She has great recommendations for places to visit and places to eat. I Highly recommend this hotel for your stay in mobile. Great hotel, great location!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Houston, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

This is the crew hotel for my company. Upon arrival we were greeted by Maura Garino. The atmosphere and cleanliness of her hotel is wonderful. The staff is most helpful with any request we may have from recommendations for restaurants to movie theaters. The van driver has been courteous and most accommodating in driving us places. As a crew member I really appreciate having a quiet room to relax in. I look forward to my next layover here.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Arriving at the Holiday Inn on Government Street I was really pleased at the lobby and the staff were very friendly. It is a older circular hotel but has been redone nicely. This hotel is really close to the Civic Center, several theaters, and restaurants. Unfortunately by the time we ate and checked in the rooftop bar closed at 11pm (Thursday night). I went up there at 10:30pm and it looked like probably one of the more happening places in downtown Mobile (I guess they're open later on Fri or Sat).
The room was fairly large but because it is circular the bathroom was really small. Also there is a door to the shower/toilet but not with the sink. The beds were fairly comfortable but a little high off of the ground and I like a regular sized pillow. The pillows weren't even a standard size. Maybe at a Holiday Inn Express I would expect this but not a regular Holiday Inn. The tv was a older LG flatscreen with bad resolution and they didn't carry the Travel Channel. Besides these factors if I was going to go to a event in downtown Mobile this place would be a great option.

Pro's:

Older TV

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
San Antonio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Great location! We only stayed one night while passing through the Gulf States on our road trip of the south. The staff and hotel manager couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. Our room on the 11th floor overlooked the bay and was very clean. The beds were so comfortable we would have stayed all day! The grounds and pool area were really well kept and clean. As we were on the road, we had laundry and I was soi grateful to have facilities at the hotel. The little in site store provided laundry detergent ($2/box). The laundry room was the only place I saw that could use some help. Really old machines and I only felt good about using 1 of the dryers. But hey! Laundry facilities!

Overall, perfectly located, very clean and a terrific staff.

• Stayed August 2012
Monterrey, Mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Ok i have to admit, from the outside, this hotel looks amazing!. I was on my way to Miami and stayed here at Holiday Inn Mobile for just one night. I arrived at 11:00pm and upon entering my room i smelled something funny, but hey! im not too picky, so i got to bed. Then i found little tiny curly hair ALL OVER the bed! especially on the pillows, pretty disgusting, i had to roll up one towel i brought from home and used it as my pillow, and had to sleep over the bedspread all nite because i didnt want to touch the blankets and pillows with hairs...

Next morning when i woke up, i discovered that ive been bitten by bedbugs all over my arms. i didn't get a shower at this hotel, all i wanted was to get out of here quickly. Maybe my room wasn't cleaned up properly or maybe i just got bad luck, but this is one of the worst hotels I had stayed.

Pros:Nice building,
Cons: dirty, nasty and disgusting beds... did i mention bed bugs?

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Clermont, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Last minute decision to stop in Mobile on our way to Mississippi. Reserved room on priceline and when we walked in we were expecting a normal Holiday Inn. Wow were we wrong. Hotel was great, front desk staff were very helpful and courteous and had good knowledge of surrounding area restaurants and venues. Rooms were very up to date and very clean. We travel and stay in hotels alot and would stay here again if in the area. Mauro was very helpful to us also.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dothan, Alabama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

Well I'll have to say the location was perfect for our event at the Civic Center. Our hostess Maura garina was also great but that is where the good stops. I paid extra when I booked our rooms online because they included breakfast. Little did I know that the charge online for breakfast was greater than the actual cost of breakfast. Okay I'll admit it you win...i lose... not enough for me to get picky Over right! But when the waitress wouldn't let me take a single biscuit to go and eat in the car on the way home I emotionally could not handle it. She was adamant that I wasn't walking out of that place with a biscuit. That just makes a statement as to how management views their customers. I was with a group of close to 100 folks! The place seemed to smell like cigarette smoke at random different locations throughout the hotel. Stay away from the lounge on the 17th floor! With so many nice places to stay within walking distance of the Civic Center they should be handing out free biscuits to every customer!

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Holiday Inn - Mobile Downtown/Historic District? Share your experiences!