“Ok for the night” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Admiral Semmes Hotel

You added Admiral Semmes Hotel to your Saves list
Admiral Semmes Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   251 Government Street, Mobile, AL 36602 (Formerly Radisson )   |
Ranked #29 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Ok for the night”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

We walked into the lobby and it was very beautiful. I would guess re-done to original historic decor. Then the oder hit us, it was a very musty smell not over powering but there. When we stepped off the elevator the halls were stifling hot, thermostat said 84. The rooms had sleep number beds which we were looking forward to since we have never used one before, not working quite right but we did manage to get them set and they were great. The rooms were large, but very plain and reminded me of something from the movies. You know where someone pays by the night for a week or so. They were clean, but very out dated and alot of wasted space. Overall, I'd say not worth the $132.00 we paid after parking and taxes(yeah had to pay to park as well) for the room. Half would have been to much too tell the truth!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Macon, Georgia, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We booked through Expedia and got a great rate. The hotel is very convenient to the Dauphin Street area and Cathedral Square, and judging from the beads in the trees, the Mardi Gras parades. Parking is in an adjacent deck, and no one told us it was $7.50 a day, but that is cheaper than the regular deck rate. We saw only a few (less than 6) people in the bar while we were there, and only saw one party in the restaurant. The room was OK, and thankfully the AC worked, because the hallways were sweltering and that had an industrial drying fan in the hallway that was quite noisy. Now for the surprise. We got a rate of $67 per night on Expedia for a king bed with sofa, as there are three of us. The desk clerk, Goddess, did not have our reservation when we arrived and since there were none of those rooms available, were going to move us to another hotel, but offered us a king with no sofa for $46.50. Our 7 year old had to sleep between us. The rate I paid Expedia was 149.95, and the new rate the hotel offered us was $104. On checkout,Goddess told us that the difference had been credited back to us through Expedia, but would not give us a copy of the rate agreement that we had signed. When we got our card bill, Expedia had charged us the $149.95. On calling the hotel, i spoke with Susan, who knew nothing about it and told me Goddess would be in Friday at 5:00. When my wife spoke with Goddess, she was told that yes Goddess remembered the rate change, but that was between us and Expedia and the Admiral Semmes would not honor the rate for which we had signed. While I am satisfied with the $67 rate, I am dissatisfied with their REFUSAL to honor what they promised.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Stayed here for a business trip. The hotel is an older hotel and coming into the lobby, I was charmed by its old school, southern look. It went downhill from there. The staff, though pleasant, are ineffective. My company was paying for my room, but during my entire stay, I could get no hotel employee to confirm that. The front desk couldn't assist me and the people that could answer my question were 1) never available or 2) would never contact me.

The room itself was a good size, but filled with old furniture and a broken TV. The reception was so bad that a maintenance man came to look at it, but after hitting it a few times, could only get blurry reception. The maid service was spotty at best. Two nights I was there my room was not serviced. I had to get towels late at night from the front desk. They have a sleep number bed. I was excited to utilize this. My bed was so lumpy, I never slept well. The dial was broken, so it stayed high on one side and low on the other.

We ate in the bar one day for lunch and were suprised that you could smoke there. We both ordered salads and had to wait so long that we had to take them to go.

One plus is they have fresh baked cookies at the front desk. Is that enough to put up with the lack of customer service skills and an outdated room that isn't serviced daily? Even for a cookie-lover like me, it isn't. I have traveled to Mobile often and there are many other quality hotels you can stay in.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

This is your hotel if you like cold showers, & poor service..its pretty but old no microwaves for your food so the front desk says they'll warm it up, the next day "im sorry be we dont do that" really? It was soooo hard to make reservations they lost our and we booked months ago.. Oh let me not leave out their nasty pool and cold jacuzzi!! Plz save yourself the drama and dont book this hotel..

• Stayed July 2012
Mobile
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

When we checked in, we already knew most rooms in downtown Mobile were taken, so we were willing to lower our standards somewhat. But this was ridiculous. Our room was on the sixth floor. We were told there had been a few issues on that floor, but that those issues had been corrected. That had not been corrected. It was so hot and humid on that floor, it was as if we were in a sauna. We had trouble gettimg our A/C to come on, but were told not to worry, if there were issues, they would give us another room. When we returned from dinner, and exploring downtown, the temp in our room was 80 degrees. It never got cooler, because the A/C had quit completely. We were then told they couldn't give us another room because they didn't have any that were vacant!!! What a nightmare! We left Mobile first thing next morning. This historic hotel has so much beauty and potential, but they desperately need better management. We will NEVER stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

This was my third time to stay at the Admiral Semmes for a downtown conference I attend annually. I choose it over the Renaissance or the Battle House as it is only a 3- block walk from the convention center. It is beautifully appointed in rooms and entry, yet is more affordable than either of the larger venues. Waiting time for check-in if you are attending an event is less than average, and the staff is very accommodating. Unfortunately, the restaurant isn't open at supper time, but in the bar, a menu is available. During restaurant hours, the breakfast and midday dinner buffet is quite good, although a bit overpriced. Parking is available in the adjacent municipal parking deck for a fee. In- room wi-fi works well. This hotel is old and has been a Mobile landmark for years, so there may be glitches with heat or A/C. I heard others complain about rooms being too hot, but that did not apply to me in any way. Anytime I have to be in downtown Mobile, I will be at the Admiral Semmes.

Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Beaverton, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

If you are looking for a modern Ritz-Carlton, this isn't the place for you...but if you are looking for a decent hotel in the heart of downtown, this may be the place for you.

This is a historic hotel, and walking into the lobby, I felt like I was taken right back into the forties (or at least what I would imagine it to be like). The smell of cigarette and cigar smoke drifted in from the bar.

The rooms were comfortable with Sleep Number beds, and the amenities you'd expect from a hotel.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Admiral Semmes Hotel? Share your experiences!