“Food was good, service was excellent!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 566 restaurants in Mobile
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
USA
“Food was good, service was excellent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2014

Since the Fried Dill Pickle here has been recommended so widely, I started with that. In fact, it was pickle slices, so the visual was already different from what I expected, but that's okay. Sadly, the dish was so salty that I could only eat a few pieces. I kept gong back to it, hoping that it was simply a matter of getting used to it, but to no avail. In fairness to the staff, a waitress saw me move the mostly full basket toward the middle of the table, enquired if everything was okay, and then took the basket and removed the item from my bill. I had also ordered a wedge salad. Now my readers know that I don't complain a lot, but the simple truth is that the salad was substandard. The lettuce was fresh but the dressing (including the bacon pieces) was not very substantial or imaginative. I was debating whether to have 1/2 dozen raw oysters or 1/2 dozen grilled oysters. When I asked the waiter, he was happy to serve me three of each. They were delicious: meaty, fresh, and -- in the case of the grilled oysters -- perfectly dressed and seasoned. They were served with horseradish but no cocktail sauce. I suppose I could have asked for some but chose not to. The waiter could not have been nicer. In fact, that's true of every staff person I dealt with there.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

79% Recommend
Starkville, Mississippi
“Fantastic Seafood with a Non-Chain Feel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

A group of six went there, mostly folks that were not from the area. Wintzell's definitely impressed. It's a down-home feel, but the variety and quality of the seafood was better than many upscale restaurants I've been to. I had the redfish special, and several in the group had oysters. Everyone walked away very well pleased.

Visited January 2014
“Best Oysters Ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

Being from South Louisiana we thought we had been eating the best most tasty oysters our whole life...wrong! These oysters were the most delicious oysters we have ever eaten. If you like raw oysters then don't pass this place up!!

Alamosa, Colorado
“Wonderful experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

Friends wanted to take us here on our way through town driving west. We are so glad we stopped. The atmosphere of the place is so down-to-earth and authentic of the times. The servers greeted us so warmly it felt sincere. We started with the Cream of Crab Soup and it was a "died and gone to heaven" moment. Hubby and I had the fried and grilled versions of the J.O. Platter Jr. with shrimp, oysters and fish. It was a knock-out. Loved everything about this place...a must-do!!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Fresh Oysters are a must.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I ate here with work colleagues and we had a great night. The theme is your standard American bar/diner and the oysters were really nice as was the local IPA. The main courses were nice even if a bit over cooked and fried. I would eat here again if i was out in Mobile.

• Visited October 2013