“Don't waste your money” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Quality Inn Downtown Historic District

You added Quality Inn Downtown Historic District to your Saves list
Quality Inn Downtown Historic District
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   255 Church Street, Mobile, AL 36602-3603 (Formerly Mobile Bay Adventure Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #35 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
D'Iberville, Mississippi, United States
“Don't waste your money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

My daughter had a dance workshop at the Convention Center in Mobile, the distance between the hotel and convention center was great. However, the adjoining room next to us had no door knob and anyone could have came in and out of it. The receptionist let us know that someone had broke it and it has been like that for 2 weeks. She offered to move us to the 4th floor but the elevator was not working. The television had only 2 channels, the bathroom still had a washcloth hanging on the shower rack. We ended up leaving that night and going elsewhere, supposedly they are refunding the money back on my card.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
qualityinndowntown, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
I will start off by saying I do sincerely apologize for the housekeeping expectations not being met in your room and I will definitly take that up with my staff. AS far as the TV issue we are having the last few days I have spoken with our satellite company and it is being taken care of as quickly as possible. The room next to yours had a loose wire in the lock and is being replaced however that door is secure and you can not enter it at this time. I have refunded your stay and once again I do apologize for the inconvenience you incurred when you checked in with us and I do hope that at a later time on a trip to beautiful Mobile you will consider staying with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Dover, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Upon arriving at the property, I was given a friendly greeting by the evening clerk. Upon entering our ground floor room, we noticed a musty smell. I wasn't too surprised, as our climate down south can be humid, and this was a property with no basement. So, we essentially were entering a basement level room. I turned on the a/c and the musty smell dissipated as I expected it would. The room appeared to be newly remodeled, and in good repair. We found the beds to be comfortable. The tv was a flat-screen, and appeared to be new. The lower channels came in clear, but the higher channels were either fuzzy or distorted. The high-speed WiFi worked well. The only problem I found with the room was, it was supposed to be a handicapped room. However, apparently the re-modelers either weren't told, or didn't read the door sign outside the room. There were NO accessible features in the room. Fortunately, I am not currently in a wheelchair, and my disability was not as limiting as it can be at times. So, I was able to get by. Breakfast was standard, and sufficient. On my visit, it included eggs, ham, two kinds of muffins, white and whole wheat bread for toast, english muffins, cheerios and froot loops, coffee, and juice. My wife thought that the juice didn't taste like it was mixing quite right. The day clerk was also friendly as well. Also of note, the pool looked like it was out of service for repair.

Room Tip: Call the hotel and question them about the accessible features in a handicapped room, if you should...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
We hope you will stay with us again and thank you so much for your input. Our pool at this time is being replastered during this cold month so i do apologize for that inconvenience. Also we will be looking at making more handicap accessible rooms available.
United kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We arrived in Mobile without a hotel booked, ended up here due to wanting somewhere convenient to downtown after a long drive and we had a coupon from a booklet picked up at the Alabama welcome centre and it looked a lot cheaper in price than other downtown hotels.

Hotel - It looks nice from the outside, but truth is its a bit tired, we had no issues with cleanliness etc, it just needs an update and some money spent on it.

Room - As you would expect, for the price it was nothing special, but was clean and I could park the car right outside the doot, there didn't appear to be many people staying here on what was a Saturday night so perhaps we got the best rooms looking at other reviews, but I had no complaint.

Location. A few blocks from the main drag with a few retaurants and bars etc, area felt safe even at night.

Amenities. Room was fine, car park was big and secure, didn't use swimming pool although it didn't look anything special. breakfast was a bit poor, the hot food looked like it had been out since 7.30 am and it was now 9.30am, but to be fair most hotels that supply the "free" breakfast aren't much better I usually just have a cup of coffee or juice etc and it saves a few dollars in stopping somewhere.

All in all the hotel was nothing to write home about, but I had no problems with it, again could do with some money spent on it, it does have character and it could be good given a makeover, if you want to stay in downtown Mobile and don't want to spend much then this place is fine

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
qualityinndowntown, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
We thank you for your input. With out our guest feed back we would not realize sometimes what areas we need to work on!
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Positives: Location is great. Beds were clean and comfortable.
Negatives: Floor filthy, my kids walked around the room barefoot for one hour, and the bottoms of their feet were black. From then on, they had to wear their shoes unless they were in bed. Bathroom floor was dirty, toilet had a "special" way to flush, or it didn't work. The tub / shower drained so slowly that at the end of the shower, there was about 3-4 inches of water in the tub. The fridge in the room had someone else's half eaten food in it. We were on vacation, and looking forward to letting the kids swim in the pool. It was green and scummy when we got there, and green and scummy when we left. We were told that it was being worked on, but we never saw anyone doing anything to the pool during our stay. The elevator was broken, and we had to drag our luggage up the stairs to our room. We were again told that it was being worked on, but we never saw anyone doing anything to it. The continental breakfast was of very poor quality - stale bread and bagels, a few cartons of yogurt, one choice of cereal, dirty containers that looked like they had had something in them, but were empty when we got there, and never re-filled while we were in the room. The trash was overflowing, the floor was sticky under our feet, the tables were never wiped down and lots of people through the little area. The gate to the parking lot was broken and left wide open (not wise in a downtown area). The housekeeping staff were using WalMart shopping carts to carry their linens and cleaning supplies. We won't be staying in a Quality Inn again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
qualityinndowntown, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
I do apologize that you were not happy with your stay. WE will be taking care of the carpet issues this week and we do offer the Quality "Choice" Standard breakfast each day. I am sorry that it did not exceede your standards.
Central Valley, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I just returned from a week long trip to the Mobile area to attend a convention as well as take in the area.

I did not expect the best place based on the low price, However, It was a tad worse than I expected.

Here is the deal. If you are looking for a very very basic motel for a cheap price that is near all of the main areas of Mobile, then this is the place. It is a place to crash for the night if you are going to be out and about all day. It is certainly not a "vacation" motel. Don't come here if you are looking to chill at the motel, use the pool or anything like that.

When I arrived the first thing I was told was the elevator did not work and they did not know when it would be working again. I was offered a room on the first floor. However, I prefer to be up a bit...especially since all of the rooms front the parking lot. I did not mind as I was placed on the 3rd floor.

Upon entering the room there is a noticeable odor. Smelled like liquorice. But, I got used to it after a few days.

There is a 32 inch TV. Never used it though. The reception on several channels was poor...and here is something I have never seen before. None of the major networks are carried (CBS, NBC, Fox, ABC) I can watch TV on my lap top and just used that.

The parking lot for the motel also doubles I guess as a paid parking lot. So there is a gate. One which I could never get out of during my time there. My card never worked and usually someone had to come out to let me out...or, I noticed after a few days they opened another gate to exit from.

The room was semi clean...but it seemed as if things were really old. The toilet in the room was beat up looking. There was no cold water in the sink. The cold setting was warmish cold water.

The shower was a bit beat up too. Generally there was hot water...but every few seconds it would get cool for a second and then get hot again.

What was disturbing though was seeing how dirty the bathroom floor was when I was drying off and put my foot on the toilet or side of the tub, the water from my feet would make black foot prints.

One day while I was in my room a staff member walked in to my locked room unannounced while i was getting dressed and completely naked. He had come to clean the AC. He apologized and said he did not know there was anyone in that room. I was pissed at first...but, because he apologized I looked the other way. Going forward I always kept the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door.

The ice machine was always leaking and on the final day there was no ice.

So, overall again, not the best place I have stayed. It was convenient for the activities I was there for. However, the place needs allot of work.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
I do sincerely apologize for the inconvenience with the elevators,due to the extensive work to be done on them it did take longer than expected to get them up and running. I am very sorry that you were dissatisfied with your stay and will work on these areas with housekeeping and maintenance
Sumiton, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We just got home from a three-night stay at this Quality Inn Downtown. Overall, it's a nice place located within walking distance of all the charming downtown shops, galleries and Cathedral Square.
There were a few hick-ups with our stay--the room's AC hadn't been turned on in preparation of our arrival, the elevator was broken as well as the ice machine on our side of the building, and they accidentally checked us out after the first night and gave a key to a family who tried to come in on us.
Other than that, I loved the charm of all the ironwork that covered the expansive buildings. The expanded breakfast was nice and the rooms were very clean. The pool appeared clean and many of the other guests seemed to enjoy it.
I loved that we could walk to everything of interest to us and felt relatively safe doing so.
We will stay here again, no doubt.

• Stayed July 2013
qualityinndowntown, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hey, Thank you and we hope you will visit us again!
Mobile, Alabama
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

The WORST Hotel experience I have ever had. The first room we were given had no lights as you enter the room the only light was a lamp across the room. My first stop was the restroom where I was greeted by not one but three big cockroaches. Carpet was filthy walking without shoes was not an option, bedspread so wrinkled it look as If it had been slept in. The AC unit reminded me of a bad window unit it had a large hose attached to the back like the one you see connected to the back of a dryer. Elevator was broke. Requested a different room. The room we changed into wasn't much better just didn't have the surprise cockroaches to greet us at the door , the curtain was not hung properly we had to set it up to have privacy, I was afraid to lay my head, so I spent most of the night on roach watch. It was a horrible experience! Could not wait to see daylight, Such a waste of our points!!! I would have slept better in the car. And yes I do have pictures!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
qualityinndowntown, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Historic District, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
I am so very sorry for the horrible experience you had on your stay here. I promise will do our best to make improvements to these issues. Thank you for your input

Been to Quality Inn Downtown Historic District? Share your experiences!