“Wonderful dinner, helpful staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Kitchen On George is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 573 Restaurants in Mobile
Cuisines: Seafood, Tapas
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Welcome to Kitchen on George A new restaurant in the heart of Mobile's Historic District. If you enjoy fresh, contemporary American food in a casual atmosphere, Kitchen on George is for you. Our menu features dishes that can be enjoyed tapas style in small plates or bowls, or as traditional entrees. Here, you'll notice fresh, bright and delicious flavors of the region since locally-sourced ingredients, when available, are a priority. We have a great selection of wines and cocktails, too! Enjoy dinner indoors or on our patio. Kitchen on George is located on the corner of George and Savannah Streets in the historic Oakleigh Garden District.
Fairhope, Alabama
“Wonderful dinner, helpful staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

My daughter and I had a wonderful dinner the other night at Kitchen on George! I had the blacked snapper and she had the Wahoo. The service and prices were great as well! Will definitely go back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Mobile,AL
“A neighborhood favorite and worth a trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

My wife and I dine at Kitchen on George almost weekly. Located in the Oakleigh Garden District historic neighborhood, decor is updated with historic black and white photos lining the walls. Food is good, prices are reasonable, service is great. Locals find many of there friends and neighbors here on a nightly basis. We often meet friends here and also look forward to evenings alone, because friends will be walking through the doors. Love the small plate items for variety, large plates are excellent and desserts are outstanding.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Mobile, Alabama
“Would hold it's own, compared to anywhere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

It reminds of places in New Orleans along Magazine St. If we could rate with half stars, I'd bump my rating up to 4 and a half. Holding back on the full 5, because of small issues like inconsistent wait staff (some tables had bread, our waitress never brought any or offered any). We ordered Dr L's white which comes in a screwtop bottle and the waitress brought the bottle to the table already opened. A no no in most restaurants. She also corrected my pronunciation of satay and her pronunciation was incorrect, mildly irritating, but not important to the meal. The place is affiliated with a culinary school, and first year students have to start somewhere, right?
What came out of the kitchen more than made up for the ditzy waitress. Grits so creamy and rich, I'd have licked the bowl, if I could have gotten away with it. The shrimp were tender, moist with no hint of the usual over cooking that is way too common in other restaurants. Chicken satay (and I SAY it correctly) presented differently than usual but delicious. Instead of skewered, the meat was in crispy, thin, strips that allowed the seasoning to shine. The Alabama goat cheese salad was divine, and in a healthy portion, even when halved.
The dessert menu was a bit of a let down after we'd seen what their chefs were capable of. Would like a lil more verve than the tired old cheesecake, chocolate gateau, bread pudding that was offered.
Would go back and will be recommending to friends.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North Alabama
“Nice tapas”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

My friend and I enjoyed a nice dinner at this restaurant for under $50. We had wine and 3 tapas. The tapas menu was varied and had both small and large plate tapas, the latter I have never seen before. We had crab cakes, balsamic salmon and shrimp and grits. The bread seemd to be freshly baked and the dipping sauce and some interesting spices that i couldnt quite place. The salmon was the best by far, fresh and had a nice seared crust. The crab cakes were about average crab cakes and had a hot kick to them. Didnt really care the spice.
The shrimp and grits need improving. They were served without any seasoning, i.e. salt and paper and were rather bland. Grits need salt and shrimp need some kind of seasoning. We also had hummingbird cake. It reminded me of carrot cake without the carrots, very dense. I couldnt taste the banana or pineapple. My friend like it, I thought this item was the only subpar one that we had. Overall, this was a good meal for under $50. The service was impeccable. The atmosphere is upscale. Would probably return.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
“Make it a point to stop here.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

It was a crowded Monday night at the Kitchen, but the Hostess Rachel moved things around quickly and gave us a chance to look through both a gluten-free and regular menu before being seated. They were very accommodating with my special dietary needs. Our server was Blair, who was friendly and informative, a real joy. We split an Alabama goat cheese salad which was fabulous. The cheese was divine. I also had sautéed mussels while my husband had crab cakes and fried Alabama oysters. They were perfect! All this plus a mojita came to about $41.

• Visited July 2012