“Disgusting” 2 of 5 stars

Stay 2+ Nights - Save 20%
Ranked #40 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
“Disgusting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2015

I don't know where to start. They don't even try. Room had dirty walls window mirror. There was something disgusting in the shower. The toilet didn't flush well the drains were slow the.....if the staff just put in a little effort, this could have been a decent room. I wish we had picked a diff place.

• Stayed February 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Satellite Beach, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2014

BY FAR, HANDS DOWN, WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE OF OUR LIVES!!! After a long day on the road we stopped at ABVI at Tillman's Corner in Mobile, Alabama because it appeared clean on the outside, allowed pets, and seemed like it was a good deal. Our first room, #115, was insufficient because we needed 2 beds- a simple oversight. After getting our second room, #117, we looked it over and weren't overly impressed. It seemed decent but not high quality by any means and looked very "worn" for lack of better words. My husband and son left to get dinner and I went about settling in for the night. I was immediately put off when I turned on the heat and it caused the room to reek of CIGARETTE SMOKE, since we were in a NON-SMOKING ROOM. Was unpacking when I noticed something behind the tv stand...I saw what appeared to be a SYRINGE/NEEDLE!!!!!! I promptly called my husband to hurry back and started repacking our things. My husband confirmed what I had seen and immediately went to the front desk to report our findings. The girl at the front desk was shocked, apologized profusely, and offered to put us into a different room. To be honest, I know it sounds insane that we continued to stay at this establishment after this but at the time we were exhausted, had another long day of driving ahead of us, and the idea of at least getting a different room seemed like it was okay. (After all, while there are some DISGUSTING uses for needles, there are also medically understandable uses for them, although it doesn't speak highly of their housekeeping staff AT ALL.) We moved on to our third room, #119, and immediately noticed that it smelled somewhat like sweaty gym shoes so we left the door open for awhile to air it out. We ate since we were starving & then got busy changing for bed, preparing for the next day, etc. At one point we realized that we didn't have their Wi-Fi password and tried to call the front desk from the hotel room phone....only to realize that it's basically a play phone and DID NOT WORK WHATSOEVER! We had to call the front desk from our cell phones to get the password only to find out that it was all for nothing because their Wi-Fi is so slow it was pointless to attempt using it. It wasn't until we were about to go to sleep (and had been in the room for an hour+) that we pulled back the covers and noticed that the SHEETS WERE WRINKLED AND HAD HAIR ON THEM. It was pretty apparent that the SHEETS HADN'T BEEN CHANGED!!! We couldn't stand the idea of packing up again, arguing with the desk only to walk away (we assumed) without a refund, and start the whole process over again somewhere else. I covered the pillows with t-shirts and sweatshirts and we all ended up SLEEPING ON TOP OF THE COVERS!!! We woke up super early the next day so we could leave as soon as possible. My husband showered first. I showered after him and it wasn't until I was almost finished that I noticed a long hair on one of the walls and a HALF USED BAR OF SOAP someone else had left there before us!!!! I got out and started toweling off only to notice that my towel either HADN'T BEEN LAUNDERED AT ALL or their fresh towels just happen to smell like crap. My husband went to the front desk at 7:15 a.m., made some complaints to the front desk clerk (who seemingly didn't care and never apologized) and was told the manager would be in at 8:00 a.m. He noticed while he was there that their continental breakfast consisted of Little Debbie's individually wrapped pastries and lukewarm coffee. We left to get coffee and breakfast and came back at 8:10 a.m. to check out & file a complaint with the manager. He wasn't there so the clerk called him and told us it would be five minutes. I had asked for the manager's name so that I could write it down for future reference and the front desk clerk told me that he "didn't have a last name"?!?! I repeated that back to him in a manner that apparetly made him realize how ridiculous his statement was and he then gave me the manager's full name. For the next 23 MINUTES, the clerk repeatedly lied to us about when the manager would arrive, made no attempt to apologize for our terrible stay, didn't seem to care that we were upset, and spent most of the time PLAYING ON HIS CELL PHONE. The manager, MIKE PATEL, finally strolled in wearing a sweater, sweat pants, and open-toed sandals, without greeting us or even making eye contact. As we rattled off a list of complaints he NEVER REACTED to anything we said, didn't seem shocked or upset, AND NEVER APOLOGIZED FOR ANYTHING!!!!!!! At one point he tried telling us that a diabetic couple was in the room before us and they left a needle behind the tv!!!!!!....AS IF A COMPLETE MEDICAL HISTORY IS REQUIRED AT CHECK-IN?!?! He also tried telling us that all of their heaters smell like smoke because of the way the dust on the coils burns when they haven't been used in awhile!!! (I understand they can't help it if someone smokes in a non-smoking room but DON'T put a non-smoking sign on the door if someone lit up in there!!! SOME PEOPLE HAVE LEGITIMATE ALLERGIES TO CIGARETTE SMOKE!!!!!!) He gave us a full refund and we told him that we really appreciated that but that it, in no way, made up for what happened and how awful their hotel is. (IN THE EVENT THAT IT'S NECESSARY- I WOULD LIKE TO STATE THAT WE HAVE PICTURES AND VIDEOS TO SUPPORT THIS COMPLAINT.) ***DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!***

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2014

This was by far the most disgusting place I have ever been. My mom came n town & bought a room to spend time with me & my baby. We didn't even stay there, we left her there and went home. We ate dinner n the room & i felt sick the entire time. The room smelled like a lit cigarette, the guy that worked there was rude! The walls had fresh stains all over them & the covers had holes all n them. Would never recommend this motel to anyone!!!

• Stayed November 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2014

I really have no issues with this location....parking, room size, bed comfort, water pressure, etc were all fine. I guess I do have a problem with calling tiny jelly rolls a "Continental Breakfast". There are full breakfast, Continental Breakfast, and then why they have. Just drop the miniscule jelly rolls and drop the claim of a breakfast of any type. Other than that however, the place was a good place to stay at a very reasonable price. One oddity...I made this reservation 2 weeks in advance via the hotel website...used the discount of being a Value Club member, and when I arrived, they had an electronic marquee sign going advertising a walk-in special $8 less than my reservation. I did get that rate but the bottom line is...if you make a reservation ahead of time, glance at the electronic message sign and see if you can get a cheaper rate. LOL!

Room Tip: Once again, check for a walk inn rate. The location is fine in a wooded setting and near a ton of o...
  • Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Nice location, but it was a little difficult to get to the motel due to the weird road layout in Mobile. Room was clean and it was good for a night stay as we were just driving through. If you need extra shampoo tell them before the maid left for the day. They only gave you two packages per room and they do not keep extra shampoo at the front desk. FYI -They stopped serving breakfast at 9:00 AM. overall it was a decent stay for the price we paid. This hotel is located in Tillmans Corner in Mobile AL.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Mobile, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I think that the hotel and staff are awesome and have stayed there on many occasions. The manager Jay and the staff are awesome at getting your needs meet and making your stay a great one. I would recommend to anyone coming to Mobile to stay there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Birmingham, Alabama, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We arrived late but the staff was warm and and inviting. We stayed 2 nights on the first floor and expected it would be noisy but it was quiet and comfortable. The room was very clean and fresh smelling. Not your typical small motel feeling. I would stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jay8181, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for staying with us hope to see you at our property again

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!