“Worst Motel in the USA” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #51 of 65 Hotels in Mobile
Memphis
“Worst Motel in the USA”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

Our experience was very similar to the other review, but I will give you a little education of how these Motel rooms are. The previous review was right in saying from the outside the place doesn't look half bad. The reason for staying at the motel was we were passing through Mobile on our way to a Bowl game and needed a place to stay for the night. As I walked to the Motel office I noticed it was closed and looked behind me at what was said to be the night office window. Which looks to be a direct window to where the owners or managers live with blinds pulled down so you can't see through them. They would only take cash for the night because she said the office was closed. I was given only one room key and headed up to my room.

Walking into the room, you instantly smell a damp musty aroma. Ok, turn on the AC and I can get by that. The walls have patches of different shades of paint all over them. The curtain is disgustingly dirty and is draped together by a plastic garbage bag. After removing the plastic garbage bag to release the whole curtain I notice that that I each ends of the curtain there were 3 rings broken so the whole curtain couldn't be extended out to cover the whole window unless you used your rig of some sort to do this. They did have a microwave and fridge but no alarm clock. we found this room very comical and knew that we could be in for a long night. We thought about trying to get a refund and just leaving and going to another motel room, but instantly remembered the no refund sign on the window. So we decided to stick it out.

When it came to the beds, we honestly did not want to even think about pulling back the comforter and looking at the sheets, but we did. All sheets and pillow cases you could tell were once white, but looked to have been used so many times they slowly faded into a cream or ivory color. Only minor stains though.

Looked for a BIBLE because everyone knows that a Hotel or Motel rooms comes with a Bible, but not here, even sweet little 8 lb. 6 ounce Baby Jesus did not come with this room.

Then comes the bathroom, yes the bathroom was insane. I mean it was BAD! There is about a 6 to 8 inch hole in the ceiling directly above the toilet. The door to the bathroom did not latch because the door handle was broken and the door was just off center. Their was no ventilation for the steam when taking a shower which is probably why the hole is in the ceiling, to let out the moisture, which now can only mean one thing, Black Mold. If you have never heard of Black Mold, do some research.

Also we were not there more than five minutes and there were immediately two cops outside talking to two gentlemen.

Pictures on the wall were never cleaned, they had a ton of some type of sticky residue like pop all over them.

Now comes the kicker.

After a night downtown at the bars, which the locals giggled about where we stayed at and said they were surprised when they gave us an amount for the whole night because they usually charge by the hour, and worrying about personal belongings in the room We got back to the rooms locked the deadbolt and room door and put up the door chain. The next morning at 8:00 am someone tried coming in the room with a key and was stopped by the door chain. I flew out of bed toward the door thinking about taking someone's head off. I opened the door and found out it was a janitor and after asking what the heck he was doing coming into people's rooms at 8:00 am he said he did not realize anyone was still in the room. He left and soon we packed our bags and left.

I have stayed at a lot of places over the years that have been pretty shady but this one surpasses them all. Nonetheless we did survive the night, with nothing missing.

Good luck to all!

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2008

The motel looks ok from the outside, but the the three rooms I saw all had a very strong odor of some deodorant spray.

Albeit the bathrooms were relatively clean, the other parts of the rooms were really dodgy, and I felt disgusted to even walk there without my shoes.

Five minutes after checking in, and immediately after having seen the rooms, I tried to get a refund and find an another motel. The manager told me about their "no-refunds-policy", but
after some time offered me 50% refund. I made a counter offer which the manager rejected, and after that the manager withdrew even the 50% refund offer. I had no choice but bite the
bullet and stay in the motel, as I didn't want to pay the motel full price for nothing.

Since the room stank so bad, we left for a dinner for three hours hoping the odor would diminish while the AC was running on full.

When we came back and opened the bed, we noticed that all the sheets and pillow cases were unclean, one of them even had shoe prints on them. I first tried to clean them by removing
the loose dirt such as hairs looking like pubic hair, and small black mouse-dropping looking dirt. I quickly gave up, and went back to the reception and asked for a new pair of sheets.

The manager had been incredibly rude the whole time after I initially complained about the room, but this time the manager went completely berserk, and CALLED THE POLICE!

I almost didn't believe my ears, but since I had done absolutely no wrong, simply stood there and waited. After 5 minutes two police cruisers arrived, and the officers asked what
was the trouble. While I was silently standing next to the reception, the manager complained the police officers how I had first complained about the smell of the rooms, and then
complained about the unclean sheets. The manager continued and told the officers that I had made threats, as I said I would leave negative reviews on the internet. At that point the
officer had to explain the manager about the concept of the freedom of the speech, and how it is guaranteed by the constitution. The police officer basically yelled at the manager
about wasting their time, and demanded that the manager immediately give me the clean sheets (sheesh!). After a few demands I finally got the sheets I had asked for in the first place.

Unfortunately they were in as bad shape as the sheets already in the room. I guess they technically were "clean", that is, washed, but all of them had a brownish tint and a lot of
old stains on them. And do believe me, I'm not exaggerating one single word here. The whole thing was so absurd I still can't believe it really happened to me. Who calls the police when a customer asks for clean sheets?!?!

Do yourself a favor and go somewhere else. This business deserves to go down.

I have read a lot of hotel reviews similar to the one I'm writing here, and many times it's difficult to know whether the reviewer has simply different standards than some others. I have been to
hundreds of hotel and motel rooms, ranging from shady one star rooms in Delhi (India) to five star luxury rooms. While traveling on my own dime, I prefer the more economical rooms.
I don't care for extra amenities such as free newspapers and the like, but I do expect the rooms to be clean. Some wear and tear is of course tolerated - again - when the room otherwise is clean.

I cannot stress this too much: do yourself a favor and choose another motel, there are a lot of them just a few miles west from this one.

555 Government St
Mobile AL 36602
United States

Been to Budget Inn? Share your experiences!