“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Mobile
New Bern
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

This was a nice hotel in a great location in downtown Mobile. Some members of the service staff were nice - Eleanor in particular. The hotel is showing its age and the elevator was scary. My wife and I and perhaps only one other couple were there the two nights we stayed. Breakfast was pitiful - really bad. One thing that bothered us is that about two hours after we checked in we received a phone call in our room from a man saying our "registration" didn't go through and he wanted our credit card number again - we didn't give it to him. The people at the front desk have no idea who may have called.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Malagainn, Innkeeper at Malaga Inn, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Thank you for addressing the phone call. Our policy is to ask for the last name that the reservation is under before we connect. I do not know why this was not done but I will find out. Our elevators, while they may look a little a "scary" on the inside, are perfectly safe and are checked once a month by law. Eleanor is so happy that you mentioned her in your review and was given kudos by the rest of our staff! I hope next time you come to Mobile you will choose us again! See you next time!
Sincerely
Jordan Beem
Innkeeper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I stayed at the Malaga Inn this past weekend to attend a wedding. It took me a week to book my room. When I first called the woman speaking said she couldnt hear me and would call back. no call. i called a few days later and a woman took my name and credit card number and said she would call me back later to confirm which I thought was strange. She never called back. I called two days later and a man told me that I wasn't booked for any room and they had no card on file for me, so I booked a room (finally) and after receiving my card statement they charged me 339.00 for one night. I've tried calling them to discuss this matter and they are very rude and keep telling me they will get the manager to call me. I wouldn't mind paying that much money for a room, but Malaga Inn is definitely not worth it. The rooms were dirty, dust and dirt all on the floors, the shower was leaky, there was no fridge, and the tv was an old box tv that hardly worked, they refused to serve us breakdast, and the staff is very unfriendly. Hardly a five star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Malagainn, Front Office Manager at Malaga Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
While we hope everyone that stays with us has an experience that exceeds their expectations, this is not always the case. Feedback, of all kinds, is a valuable tool that we take very seriously. While we certainly appreciate positive feedback, negative comments can be a more effective tool in affecting change. It is our policy to thoroughly investigate all complaints to ensure that it does not happen again. Upon investigating this event, we did discover that the guest had a duplicate reservation due to an oversight. As a result, she was charged a "no-show penalty" of one's night room and tax. Once management was made aware of this duplicate charge, the guest's card was credited and the guest was notified within 45 minutes. In addition, changes have been made to our Housekeeping Checklists and a new preventative Maintenance program has been put in place. Lastly, I would like to address the charge of "unfriendly staff". This, to me, is the the most heinous accusation. I would like to think we have the friendliest staff in the South! Unfortunately, everyone has bad days, and this guest experienced a few of ours. So, we take this as an opportunity to learn and improve ourselves for our guests. To refocus on our true mission, to ensure everyone leaves here feeling like family.

Chris Boyle
Guest Service
Malaga Inn
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I've always wanted to stay here and now that I've moved away from Mobile I finally spent four days here in May 2011. The hotel is actually two ante-bellum town houses joined with a newer lobby (ca. 1970s from the decor) and a modern multi-story annex at the rear surrounding an open courtyard.
The only recommendations/warnings I can offer:
*If you are looking for posh boutique hotel with everything trimmed in latest country house fashion, then this hotel is not for you.
*If you don't mind it being a bit faded and odd but full of character and reasonably priced, then this is definitely the hotel for you.
***The one caveat I would add is to make certain you get a room at the front in one of the original ante-bellum townhouses.

The room was large and comfortable if a bit quirky. It was clean and opened onto the balcony however, it was in the modern annex although it had a certain charm. There was a wedding party there on our last night with caused considerable disruption to our sleep so you may wish to inquire if there are any parties being held there in the evening as any party activity in the courtyard will be heard by all.

The hotel is within easy walking of downtown Mobile's sights and restaurants and also has secure parking. A new transit service stops outside for those less mobile in the Alabama heat. There is a very pleasant pool, as well.
Breakfast is basic and decent but nothing spectacular. Try the Spot of Tea on Cathedral Plaza for their bananas foster french toast instead.
The lady who worked the afternoon/night shift was an absolute delight; always greeted us in the evenings by name, asked us about our day, offered suggestions on food/sightseeing and generally charmed my English-born finance.

Room Tip: Do get a room in the historic townhouse part of the complex.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Panama City Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I prefer local places with character, and this hotel has it. Probably 5 coats of paint in the owners' efforts to brighten up the place, but I still prefer that to stainless and glass. 37 rooms on 3 floors surrounding a Spanish style open courtyard with fountain. A local wedding was preparing the Friday night my wife and stayed (rm 217, corner overlooking the courtyard). Don't expect lavish extras if you stay here. The toilet was not adult "comfort height", but clean and functional. Queen beds quite comfortable. Walls not soundproof (and what, 100 years old??). Unfortunately despite the sign the hotel kitchen is not functioning now, but several good restaurants within 4-5 short blocks. A small, somewhat under-stocked bar is on premises. A great overnight with live jazz or flamenco music in the courtyard, at least on week-ends. Downtown Mobile is still a bit gritty, so my wife insisted we drive the short distance to dinner (at "Noja"--see my review). Oh, from the balcony we had an excellent view of the round-top Holiday Inn a few blocks away. No doubt a better, panoramic view, but I'll return to the Malaga, thank you.

Room Tip: On music nights, ask for a balcony courtyard room facing the musicians. (Our room did not.)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Comfortable room, loads of classic southern style and culture, and a great walkable neighborhood make this a wonderful place to stay. Excellent staff provide friendly local advice. Great quality and variety of local food all walkable. Will return here often.

• Stayed February 2013
Zürich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night and found that the hotel had a great amount of charm and character. We stayed in one of the 'historic' rooms and although the beds weren't quite as comfy as one could have hoped for, the hotel made up for it in just being quaint and charming.

We'd stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for the historic rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was a perfect location for access to historical downtown Mobile. We could walk or trolley everywhere. The people at the front desk were more than helpful. We loved the quaint courtyard with the fountain. The room was large and very clean. We enjoyed our stay much more than a large, sterile cahin hotel stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Malaga Inn? Share your experiences!