“Friendly staff, sterile rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Fenix Inn

You added Fenix Inn to your Saves list
Fenix Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   156 Jalan Merdeka | Taman Melaka Raya, Melaka 75000, Malaysia   |
Ranked #15 of 148 Hotels in Melaka
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Friendly staff, sterile rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

I decided upon the Fenix Inn, based on its online ratings and the fact that it had 24/7 reception service. This was a must for me, since I was scheduled to arrive at KLIA at 11:00pm and wanted to go immediately to Melaka. The Fenix Inn was very helpful in this regard, arranging my airport transfer and late check-in. They even upgraded my room to a junior suite. (I had booked a superior double through Agoda.)

In general, although the rooms are quite spartan and character-less (in the junior suite, there was a bed, desk, TV, and brown leather couch), they are clean and comfortable. Since Melaka is such a charming city to walk around, I spent all of my time outside, and I only used the room for sleeping. But, I did rest well.

The staff was friendly and helpful, particularly when arranging transportation from KLIA and to the bus station. Although I was the only one traveling to the bus station at the time, they arranged their transportation shuttle van just for me...a very convenient and inexpensive feature.

The location is good - a short walk to the historic center and just around the corner from two very large shopping malls (if you need to purchase any items--like in my case, a plug converter--for your trip).

It may be a tad bit expensive for what it offers, but I found it to be an easy, comfortable base for exploring Melaka.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear klf599,

We sincerely appreciate your review and thank you for choosing Fenix Inn as your ideal hotel during your recent trip to Malacca!

Your compliments on the airport pick-up, late check-in and room upgrade to the Junior Suite is very much appreciated. Great to note that your Shuttle service arrangements was smooth and the price is definitely reasonable which are being offered to our guests. Our compliments is a great boost to our team members and we are looking forward to further strive in providing good customer services

Our hotel is currently undergoing some upgrading and enhancement works in stages in order to provide a more comfy guest experience and we all look forward to welcome you back in the future..

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Malaysia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

Fenix Inn has a good location because it is within walking distance to the tourist spots such as A'Famosa, St.Paul's Church and the museums. It is about 10 minutes walking to these tourist spots where you can actually walk there by passing through the Dataran Pahlawan Melaka Megamall which is opposite Fenix Inn.

The reason for saying there are areas for improvement was because I found lots of stain (refer to my photos) on the blanket and bed sheet which I think the staff should have seen these when they are cleaning the room and making the bed. That is why I feel disappointed. Due to the doubt on the cleanliness, I chose not to use the cup and kettle in the room even the water dispenser outside the room. Except for the stain found, the rest of areas looked fine for me.

Other information:
If you are travelling by bus, it is about 15 minutes by taxi from the bus terminal. Price is RM20.00 which should be negotiated before you board the taxi. Taxi there do not use meter.

If you are travelling from Melaka to Genting Highlands, there is only one bus company (707) provides service from Melaka to Genting Highlands. We actually purchased the bus ticket when we arrived melaka. You can inform the bus company that you are staying at Fenix Inn, and they will pick you up from Dataran Pahlawan Melaka Megamall.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Shirley_Chia,

Thank you for choosing Fenix Inn as your ideal hotel during your most recent trip to Malacca! Your feedback and review is appreciated in order for further improvement

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in which you found stain on your bedding. We have actually just received new sets of linens for all our rooms and I am confident we will be able to eliminate such issues to re-occur in the future.

Upgrading and enhancement of our facilities and services is in progress in stages and we look forward to provide a more comfy and satisfying experience to all our guests! Our team and I look forward to welcome you back in the future!
m'sia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012 via mobile

if they can improve the check in time then will be perfect because we arrive at 1.30 it is forgive-able to wait until 2pm for the standard check in time but we only able to check in at 3pm! Besides, the bathroom is quite dark which I think can add on 1 more light then is better.

Overall Everything is good including the location(the biggest shopping mall just opposite the hotel), room ( with hair dryer), staffs are very helpful which they can help us to arrange for the transport and they response fast (emailing) when you have some enquiries.

If next time I visit Melaka again, I will definitely stay at here again :)
Note: they have early package for those who book few months earlier :)

• Stayed July 2012
Dear swei87,

Thank you very much for your review and for choosing Fenix Inn as your ideal hotel during your most recent trip to Malacca! We sincerely appreciate your support.

We sincerely apologize for the delay in check-in due to some unforeseen circumstances. We will definitely improve on this. Thanks and noted on your feedback on the lighting system, for our consideration as well.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our location, our in-room amenities, transportation arrangements and most importantly the service from our team members! We are motivated to strive further in customer services to all our guests

Our team and I look forward to welcome you back in the future and do keep in touch!
Kuching, Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Before I booked the hotel, I've emailed to them and asked about the rates and so on. Their Operations Manager, Mr Vivek Vadevelu was kind enough to assist me and emails me promptly on all my questions. We asked for car rental arrangments, room arrangements and shuttle pick up. We were satisfied with the services provided by him. Other than having to wait about 15 minutes at Melaka Sentral for the hotel shuttle to arrive and pick us to Fenix Inn, everything was alright. He personally met us when we reached the hotel.
The hotel's staff, namely Ms Erni was very helpful in giving us and showing us a book of their compilation on where to eat and places to visit in Melaka. The book is great. Better than what Tourism Malaysia has provided as every single place of eatery and how to get there is shown in the book. Mr KC Chye was kind enough to help us with the booking of van shuttle at the hotel and also with the carrying of heavy luggages.
The hotel's valet parking services was great as they have kind and smiling attendants to assist us in parking our rented cars and we do not have to worry if there is a parking or how and where to park.
The room is a bit small compared to the pictures in the website. A mini fridge will be good and better if breakfast is provided. The location is alright as it is close to the shopping malls but not much eating places. With a lift in the hotel, it will be even better especially when there are old people and people with walking difficulties staying in this hotel.
The bed mattress is a bit soft.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
vivek v, Manager at Fenix Inn, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Dear amytay46,

Firstly, thank you very much for choosing Fenix Inn as your ideal hotel during your most recent trip to Malacca!

A sincere "Thank You" for your valuable review and also compliments to our Concierge Erni, Bell staff Chye and our Valet Parking team for the services offered to you and your party! Your compliments serves as a great motivation for our team and I to further strive to provide services beyond expectation to all our guests

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in which there are no lifts available at our hotel, however, our team are always ready to assist our guests with luggage handling and assistance for our elderly guests as well.

The hotel is currently undergoing some enhancement in facilities and services to provide our guests a more comfy experience and our team and I look forward to welcome you back in the future!
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is my hotel of choice when I pop into Melaka for a quickie visit. I love the location. It's walking distance to almost everywhere. Food is easily assessable for all 3 meals as well. The family room is spacious and comfortable. I do wish that they have more space for us to place out things though like towels and clothes. The bed and toilet's pretty clean and that's all I ask for. I'm hardly in the rooms anyway. The car jockeys are really great and it good that you can park your car there without worries that it'll get car-jacked. Prices are still pretty reasonable though it has gone up every since they've expended.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
vivek v, Manager at Fenix Inn, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
Dear icepeachtea,

Thank you very much for choosing Fenix Inn as your ideal hotel during your most recent stay in Malacca! We sincerely appreciate your feedback which will enable us to strive further to provide great services to all our guests

We are delighted to hear that Fenix Inn is your hotel of choice during your Malacca trips. Your compliments on our Car Jockey team and their services will be a great motivation for the team to further excel in providing services to our guests expectations

Our team and I look forward to welcome you back in the near future and do keep in touch!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Love the convenience of everything nearby the hotel.. perfect location and good service. I'm glad I came to know fenix inn via trip advisor.. oh and another thing I like about it is there's a water dispensar outside our room.. definitely my next stop for my next visit

• Stayed April 2012
, Manager at Fenix Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear Deswin1993,

A BIG "Thank You" for choosing Fenix Inn as your preferred hotel during your trip to Malacca! Your feedback is valuable for us to further improve and strengthen our facilities and services!

We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and find the location of our hotel smack of all the shopping and entertainment action! Your compliments towards our service is appreciated and I am sure our team will find your feedback a great motivation to excel further.

The hotel is currently undergoing renovations for a new lobby for our second property next door for the convenience of our guests and our team and I certainly look forward to welcome you back in the future!
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is strategically located and is accessible to the town centre, places of attraction and shopping areas. The free shuttle-bus service from the bus terminal is helpful for backpackers. I would like to thank one of the staff who directed the way to Klebang Besar.

It could be quite noisy. Baby's cry can be heard, laughter and giggling from next door can be heard, drilling sound due to renovation can be heard too. The hotel may want to look into sound proofing.

The hotel may wish to install cameras at the main entrances of the other building. We could hear some people banging on the main door.

A partition between the shower and the toilet would be useful to keep the floor dry and less slippery. I was only able to find one power socket in a quad-sharing room. It would be useful to have 2 more power socket points so that we could boil water and charge our phones and camera batteries, etc,.

The level that we stayed has no lift landing, hence we have to walk up a flight of stairs. The staff helped us to bring up the luggages but we moved it down ourselves upon check-out.

• Stayed June 2012
, Manager at Fenix Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Dear James_Peh,

Thank you for choosing Fenix Inn as your ideal hotel during your most recent visit to Malacca! We sincerely appreciate your time for the feedback which is valuable for us to improve our facilities and services

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in which other hotel room guests caused some noise near your room. Your suggestion for more power points in the room is noted and the management is working towards adding additional power sockets in our rooms this year. Our Bell Service team are available to assist our guests on luggage handling requests due to the unavailability of lifts in our property

The hotel is currently undergoing renovations for a new lobby for our second building/extension for the convenience our our guests and due to be opened as a new property very soon!

Thanks again for staying with us and our team and I look forward to welcome you back for a more comfy guest experience!

Been to Fenix Inn? Share your experiences!