“Comfortable and excellent” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Settlement Hotel

You added The Settlement Hotel to your Saves list
The Settlement Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 63 Jalan Ujong Pasir | World Unesco Heritage City, Melaka 75050, Malaysia   |
Announcement
Complimentary Shuttle
Ranked #4 of 152 Hotels in Melaka
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
“Comfortable and excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

A great place to stay and enjoy the comfort of this new hotel for a weekend getaway. Fantastic service by manager and staff, friendly and courteous. Well greeted upon arrival with cool towel and drink. Room was clean and well designed and laid out. Decor of hotel brightens the place and have that warmth feeling. Complimentary breakfast was tastefully good even though spread was not extensive. Love the muffins! Shuttle service to/fro city centre is added bonus to avoid the traffic jams and parking problem. Parking is at the back of hotel and not through main entrance. No problem though, as staff will assist to park for you while you check in. Will definitely come back again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2014
Dear THSee,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We're glad that you appreciated our hospitality and products offered and we are always fine tuning and improving our service levels for our guests.

We took note of your breakfast comments and rest assured we're trying to create a breakfast menu that will be even more pleasing and comprehensive for all our guests. We're also constantly trying out new recipes and improving our food quality as well.

Thanks you again for highlighting your concerns and we assure you, we're listening to you and are making changes as we go along.

Hope to serve you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Hotel is very new, the staff are very polite and helpful. The room we booked had a nice practical layout, the best is the bathroom which came with a nice stone tub. Will definitely come back to this hotel during my next visit to Malacca. The parking is ample and secure for my car.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Felixng2013,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We're extremely humbled by your kind words and are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay here. Please let us know if there is something else we can do better when you decide to visit us again.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We were very looking forward to this stay and had exchanged frequent emails with the front of house staff arranging our room and in particular facilities for our baby who was travelling with us. When we arrived we were treated to cool flannels and a refreshing drink. The room itself was a little small but very well laid out, very clean and very pretty.
We enjoyed our stay and spent lots of time in the pool splashing around with the baby. This could do with a clean out - it's a pity that the hotel is so new yet the pool is already beginning to look a little tired. In addition the rooftop area was also looking very uncared for and as this is potentially a great space and could be very attractive it's probably worth doing this up!
The hotel is quite far outside of Malacca - around a 30 minute walk but this is along busy roads with no pavements. For this reason we took advantage of the free shuttle bus and were very grateful that this was always arranged for us very quickly and took us anywhere we wanted to go.
We were really looked after well by the front of house staff - in particular Ben who was very attentive the first few days and gave us fantastic food recommendations.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Nicola S,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

Your kind words will certainly go a long way in boosting the morale of our employes and we thank you for highlighting a few concerns with regards to our pool and rooftop bar. As much as we try to maintain our facilities in top notch standards, sometimes we overlook that and will indeed put more effort into ensuring that all our guests enjoy our facilities to the fullest with ease and comfort.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Settlement Hotel whenever your travels bring you back to historical Melaka.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

This hotel is a Gem. I made a mistake with my booking dates (my fault). The staff were excellent in their attitude and speed with fixing my error. I would highly recommend "The Settlement Hotel". The room and bathroom were spacious and full of character and charm. There is a lovely attention to detail throughout the hotel. The furniture, fittings and artworks. reflect the heritage and cultural history of the area. Many of which look custom made. I look for ward to visiting again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Dear nambohynot,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We're extremely humbled by your kind words and we're very pleased to have been there for you when you needed us. Here at the Settlement Hotel, We always place our guests ahead of anything else. We're also touched by the fact that you could relate to our deco and cultural touches around the hotel.

We await your return patiently.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Main factor: Friendly and attentive staff, located not too close to busy malacca yet pretty close to others attractions (Portuguese village, beach, etc), super cosy and cute hotel.

the negative side was only due to its location. pretty far from malacca city or bandar hilir. but as i travel by my own car, i'm not facing any problem bout that. but they do provide one way shuttle service, for free!

positive side; fast check in and check out, friendly staff, unique hotel design, super cosy three type pillows, bathrobe is provided, complimentary note book and high quality pen and many more!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Imranurul,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We're really honored to have had the opportunity to serve you and we like the fact that you loved our pillows. We believe everyone is entitled to a comfortable and good nights sleep and we're happy to have been able to provide you with that attention.

We are aware that we are situated a little distance from the city, but our shuttle service will take you anywhere you need to go while you're here at a very reasonable cost and is free for trips to the city and historical sites around Melaka.

Hope to see you again real soon.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We were blown away by their hospitality and extra mile services. The front desk staff was very friendly and accommodating. The hotel itself is still very new, so no questions need to be asked about the cleanliness and the room.

The pool is quite small, but we love the bathroom! Hotel location is not walking distance to jonker street, but the hotel provides free shuttle services. The location is also just 10mins walk to Portuguese village, where you can find some nice seafood places for dinner and to fly a lantern at night.

The hotel staff arrange a complimentary white roses in our room upon our arrival as their hospitality when we tell them about our occasion. And remember the shuttle service I mention above? Once, the shuttle is out to pick up guests and as it's a long weekend, it's running late, and the front desk staff arrange a transport for us using their personal car. I would like to say Thank you to Mr. Arm for driving us to Capitol Satay using your own personal car! Great and humble service indeed.

We love the hotel and our time in melaka!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Hery W,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We're very happy that we played a part in your most auspicious occasion of love and are humbled by your kind words. We take pride in making sure all our guests are happy when they come to Melaka and leave contented as well.

Please come back again anytime and we look forward to serving you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

2 weekends ago, I and my wife, together with my parents decided to stay at The Settlement Hotel Melaka for a 2D1N stay, especially after reading thru their raving reviews. Prior to the actual day of arrival, I have been corresponding with their hotel staff, Que thru email on some of my enquiries. Email replies from Que had been very prompt and with clear detailed explanation to my queries. Kudos to Que for his efficiency.

On the actual day of arrival, the 4 of us reached the hotel which can be easily spotted from the main road. However, from this main hotel entrance, there wasn’t any entrance to their carpark. Instead, there was only a small entrance leading to their lawn and hotel entrance (which vehicles cannot go thru). I spent some time driving back and forth that road in trying to locate their hotel carpark but to no avail. In the end, I parked by the road in front of their hotel for a while, while my wife went down to walk over inside to ask them for the carpark directions. A hotel staff then accompanied my wife to my car and informed me that he will valet park my vehicle. While I most appreciated this kind gesture, I would have preferred that the hotel staff informed me earlier in the previous emails that valet parking would be provided from the hotel entrance, or at least clearer directions to park my car if I DIY. Nevertheless, this is just a small issue.

When we reached the reception, we were greeted by the hotel staff and were given drinks and towels. A definite warm welcome!! One of their hotel staff, Ben, then proceeded to bring us to our rooms. I and my wife stayed in their Junior Villa, whilst my parents stayed in their Luxury Villa. Ben did a great job in showing us to both the villas and he explained very meticulously on what needs to be explained to us.

First, on my assigned Junior Villa. Upon arrival and exploring the room, the toilet floor mat was soaked. The toilet roll was also somehow soaked with dirt and water. TV projects the pictures but no sound can be heard. I immediately called their housekeeper for assistance which they promptly responded by changing the toilet floor mat and the toilet roll, as well as they did a quick clean up. However, they could not rectify the TV sound problem after half an hour. So I told the housekeeper that they can take the whole afternoon in trying to fix the TV problem as the 4 of us are going to Jonker Street for some shopping and will only be back in the evening. Yes, when we are back in the hotel in the evening, they managed to solve the TV sound problem by replacing another working TV to our room. One suggestion for the Hotel Management is that perhaps they can personally check all the room conditions again prior to the guests arrival so as to ensure the assigned rooms are in tip top condition.

No problems for the Luxury Villa which my parents stayed in. As the Luxury Villa costs more than the Junior Villa, the former naturally is much more bigger in size and does feel indeed more “luxurious”. In fact, I and my wife liked my parents Luxury Villa that we spent most of the time in their villa to chit chat. As it is much bigger than ours, it’s very airy, cosy and much more comfortable. In addition, the king bed for the Luxury Villa comes with a “hanging net” surrounding the bed, which is definitely needed. Perhaps the Hotel Management can consider making one also for the Junior Villa too, as without the net, I and my wife were like supper for some flies in the night (we didn’t sleep very comfortably because of this over the night and we woke up with a few mosquito bites on our bodies). Anyway, just my recommendation for prospective hotel guests that you can consider taking their Luxury Villa instead (I believe they have 3 Luxury Villas and just 1 Junior Villa).

The usual toiletries were given FOC, and on top of this, they gave us a good quality pen and also a very nice notebook per room for us to keep (like what the previous reviewers mentioned). So thoughtful of the Management. And yes, the soft drinks in the mini-bar fridge were all complimentary. A quick note on their shower towels: Very good quality, and both I and my wife liked the softness of the towels indeed.

We were also pleasantly surprised that the hotel guests brought us some cakes (which were really nice and of standard”) as a welcome token. Very thoughtful of them again…
We also met up with the Hotel Manager, Mr Liu during our stay. We enjoyed our conversation with him as he shared heaps of information about the hotel history as well as his advice on where to go, what to eat amidst others. I’m sure you will find his companionship enjoyable like we did.

The whole hotel (more of a resort) is well-maintained, and you can definitely see that the grasses and the lawn and other outdoor furniture are all well-maintained and nicely nice up (I believe this Hotel opened in Late 2013/early 2014 period).

Just to clarify for the benefit of all readers: The shuttle service which the hotel provides for the guests is indeed complimentary, but it’s complimentary for one way only (i.e. from Settlement Hotel to Jonker Street which will take about 10mins). If you require the return trip from Jonker Street to the Hotel (which you most probably would need), then you would need to pay RM15 per trip. Perhaps the Management can again consider making the to-and-fro trips complimentary for one time foc to there, and one time foc back to the hotel. Any other additional to-and-fro trips can then be borne by the Hotel guests. By the way, the drop off and pick up area is beside the Christ Church Melaka which is less than 5 mins walk away from Jonker Street.

Going back to the car, the Hotel staff parked my car in a secure carpark beside the Hotel which was locked securely at night (we walked past it as we walked from the Hotel to the Portuguese Settlement for dinner). This should provide some form of ease and assurance for those of us driving in to stay with Settlement Hotel.

Speaking of Portuguese Settlement, it will take you about 15mins of leisure walk from the hotel to the Portuguese Settlement. A must go place if you are into the Portuguese “zhi-cha” style of food, simply delicious and the best part is the price. I strongly recommend you to check out the Portuguese Settlement, you won’t regret it… To go there from the hotel, you have to exit the hotel via the back door (from the Luxury Villa side) and walk downwards towards the sea direction.

Moving on to the included hotel breakfast, again, like what some of the previous reviewers mentioned, the variety of the breakfast buffet spread was not that varied, but to the 4 of us, we thought the variety was enough and suffices for the morning. Breakfast spread primarily consists of the American breakfast style of food, and with some fried mee hoon and some fishball soup with some nonya pastries and also the usual fruits. More than enough for our stomachs… Upon check-out and payment, Ben personally showed us to our car and gave me concise directions in driving out my car to the main road.

Personally, on the whole, this had been a pleasant experience for me, my wife and my parents (especially the kampong-style Luxury Villa). Although it could be argued that for the relatively high price that you folk out for the Villas, which you can easily stay in other hotels right in the city centre, I guess what you are paying for is the personalized attention and the uniqueness of the Villas. Except for some of the above mentioned minor service lapses, nevertheless, this is one place which you won’t go wrong staying…

Room Tip: Definate a must try for the Luxury Villa if you don't mind topping up a bit more...