“Fantastic Stay!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Settlement Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Settlement Hotel to your Saves list
The Settlement Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   No 63 Jalan Ujong Pasir | World Unesco Heritage City, Melaka 75050, Malaysia   |
Special Rate
MYR200 (MYR)
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Melaka
“Fantastic Stay!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

2 weekends ago, I and my wife, together with my parents decided to stay at The Settlement Hotel Melaka for a 2D1N stay, especially after reading thru their raving reviews. Prior to the actual day of arrival, I have been corresponding with their hotel staff, Que thru email on some of my enquiries. Email replies from Que had been very prompt and with clear detailed explanation to my queries. Kudos to Que for his efficiency.

On the actual day of arrival, the 4 of us reached the hotel which can be easily spotted from the main road. However, from this main hotel entrance, there wasn’t any entrance to their carpark. Instead, there was only a small entrance leading to their lawn and hotel entrance (which vehicles cannot go thru). I spent some time driving back and forth that road in trying to locate their hotel carpark but to no avail. In the end, I parked by the road in front of their hotel for a while, while my wife went down to walk over inside to ask them for the carpark directions. A hotel staff then accompanied my wife to my car and informed me that he will valet park my vehicle. While I most appreciated this kind gesture, I would have preferred that the hotel staff informed me earlier in the previous emails that valet parking would be provided from the hotel entrance, or at least clearer directions to park my car if I DIY. Nevertheless, this is just a small issue.

When we reached the reception, we were greeted by the hotel staff and were given drinks and towels. A definite warm welcome!! One of their hotel staff, Ben, then proceeded to bring us to our rooms. I and my wife stayed in their Junior Villa, whilst my parents stayed in their Luxury Villa. Ben did a great job in showing us to both the villas and he explained very meticulously on what needs to be explained to us.

First, on my assigned Junior Villa. Upon arrival and exploring the room, the toilet floor mat was soaked. The toilet roll was also somehow soaked with dirt and water. TV projects the pictures but no sound can be heard. I immediately called their housekeeper for assistance which they promptly responded by changing the toilet floor mat and the toilet roll, as well as they did a quick clean up. However, they could not rectify the TV sound problem after half an hour. So I told the housekeeper that they can take the whole afternoon in trying to fix the TV problem as the 4 of us are going to Jonker Street for some shopping and will only be back in the evening. Yes, when we are back in the hotel in the evening, they managed to solve the TV sound problem by replacing another working TV to our room. One suggestion for the Hotel Management is that perhaps they can personally check all the room conditions again prior to the guests arrival so as to ensure the assigned rooms are in tip top condition.

No problems for the Luxury Villa which my parents stayed in. As the Luxury Villa costs more than the Junior Villa, the former naturally is much more bigger in size and does feel indeed more “luxurious”. In fact, I and my wife liked my parents Luxury Villa that we spent most of the time in their villa to chit chat. As it is much bigger than ours, it’s very airy, cosy and much more comfortable. In addition, the king bed for the Luxury Villa comes with a “hanging net” surrounding the bed, which is definitely needed. Perhaps the Hotel Management can consider making one also for the Junior Villa too, as without the net, I and my wife were like supper for some flies in the night (we didn’t sleep very comfortably because of this over the night and we woke up with a few mosquito bites on our bodies). Anyway, just my recommendation for prospective hotel guests that you can consider taking their Luxury Villa instead (I believe they have 3 Luxury Villas and just 1 Junior Villa).

The usual toiletries were given FOC, and on top of this, they gave us a good quality pen and also a very nice notebook per room for us to keep (like what the previous reviewers mentioned). So thoughtful of the Management. And yes, the soft drinks in the mini-bar fridge were all complimentary. A quick note on their shower towels: Very good quality, and both I and my wife liked the softness of the towels indeed.

We were also pleasantly surprised that the hotel guests brought us some cakes (which were really nice and of standard”) as a welcome token. Very thoughtful of them again…
We also met up with the Hotel Manager, Mr Liu during our stay. We enjoyed our conversation with him as he shared heaps of information about the hotel history as well as his advice on where to go, what to eat amidst others. I’m sure you will find his companionship enjoyable like we did.

The whole hotel (more of a resort) is well-maintained, and you can definitely see that the grasses and the lawn and other outdoor furniture are all well-maintained and nicely nice up (I believe this Hotel opened in Late 2013/early 2014 period).

Just to clarify for the benefit of all readers: The shuttle service which the hotel provides for the guests is indeed complimentary, but it’s complimentary for one way only (i.e. from Settlement Hotel to Jonker Street which will take about 10mins). If you require the return trip from Jonker Street to the Hotel (which you most probably would need), then you would need to pay RM15 per trip. Perhaps the Management can again consider making the to-and-fro trips complimentary for one time foc to there, and one time foc back to the hotel. Any other additional to-and-fro trips can then be borne by the Hotel guests. By the way, the drop off and pick up area is beside the Christ Church Melaka which is less than 5 mins walk away from Jonker Street.

Going back to the car, the Hotel staff parked my car in a secure carpark beside the Hotel which was locked securely at night (we walked past it as we walked from the Hotel to the Portuguese Settlement for dinner). This should provide some form of ease and assurance for those of us driving in to stay with Settlement Hotel.

Speaking of Portuguese Settlement, it will take you about 15mins of leisure walk from the hotel to the Portuguese Settlement. A must go place if you are into the Portuguese “zhi-cha” style of food, simply delicious and the best part is the price. I strongly recommend you to check out the Portuguese Settlement, you won’t regret it… To go there from the hotel, you have to exit the hotel via the back door (from the Luxury Villa side) and walk downwards towards the sea direction.

Moving on to the included hotel breakfast, again, like what some of the previous reviewers mentioned, the variety of the breakfast buffet spread was not that varied, but to the 4 of us, we thought the variety was enough and suffices for the morning. Breakfast spread primarily consists of the American breakfast style of food, and with some fried mee hoon and some fishball soup with some nonya pastries and also the usual fruits. More than enough for our stomachs… Upon check-out and payment, Ben personally showed us to our car and gave me concise directions in driving out my car to the main road.

Personally, on the whole, this had been a pleasant experience for me, my wife and my parents (especially the kampong-style Luxury Villa). Although it could be argued that for the relatively high price that you folk out for the Villas, which you can easily stay in other hotels right in the city centre, I guess what you are paying for is the personalized attention and the uniqueness of the Villas. Except for some of the above mentioned minor service lapses, nevertheless, this is one place which you won’t go wrong staying…

Room Tip: Definate a must try for the Luxury Villa if you don't mind topping up a bit more...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear JusT76,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We feel so blessed to have had the opportunity to serve and accommodate your family and yourself and have fond memories of those times indeed.

We truly apologise for being unable to provide you with a stellar experience and please believe that we are indeed taking steps to rectify and correct the issues you highlighted, especially on the mosquitoes problem you faced. As our car park is located at the rear of the hotel building, we are working to put up more signages for our customers to easily locate the Carpark. We are also preparing a new menu for our breakfast spread.

Once again thanks for the kind words and please come back to experience a whole new culture of hospitality and evolution as we better ourselves for you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

I would like to appraise the service rendered by the Hotel Front desk, the Manager and the Cook.
Had a wonderful stay in this beautiful decorated hotel and would highly recommend to all.
The Bed is one of the best and they offer different types of pillow to suit your need.
A private and cozy experience.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Dear MaureenTan2,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

Your satisfaction of our products and services are well received and it was truly an honor hosting your stay with us. We trust you had a most enjoyable time in beautiful Melaka and we look forward to your return trip soon.

Until again, thanks again for your kind support and have an enjoyable travel always.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Where to begin? Excellent service from the moment we walked in; greeted with scented cold towels and juice, shuttle transfers to tourist hotspots at your request, courteous and exceptionally friendly staff members that go above and beyond to service you. We came in late for breakfast, no problems, the chef kindly fixed us a meal and even came over to greet us.

The hotel itself is tastefully furnished with lovely antique pieces but with a modern touch. The deluxe room wasn't big but definitely cosy and beds were comfy. The atmosphere was unpretentious, I definitely felt at home and loved the lounge areas.

For the the rates I paid, I definitely felt it was a steal. The only downside is its a little out of the way from the main attractions, but definitely not an issue with the shuttle service provided (around 20 mins with traffic or so to Jonker st) I know where to go the next time I come back to Malacca. Do not miss out on this little gem!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear blinkhme,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We're truly grateful for your kind words and compliments and we will pass this on gladly to our staff who are the driving force of the Settlement Hotel Melaka. Indeed, the world heritage sites are merely a few minutes away from the hotel and as always, our shuttle service is always there for you anytime you want.

Thanks again for your comments and please come back anytime you desire, our doors are always open for you!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

It's look great of this boutique hotel. Breakfast has not a lot of food. U may enjoy your relaxing times at every corner of the hotel. All the staff are so friendly. I have a night stay and a great experience~ will be visit again.

• Stayed March 2014
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Dear Rosejia,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

Your compliments are indeed appreciated and rest assured we are looking into expanding our breakfast selection as we speak. We hear our customers and are acting immediately to fine tune our all round hospitality experience for our guests.

Thanks again and welcome back anytime.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 1N. It's a brand new hotel. We were greeted with drinks and cold towels.There were many beautiful antiques collections. Lovely pieces of traditional furniture were decorated everywhere. We love the bedding (extremely comfortable) and bathtub in the room. Location is slightly far from town area but Shuttle service to town is provided. Complimentary notebook, pen (good quality) and minibar.
Highly recommended for those seeking a more relaxing stay away from the hustle bustle of the town area.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Morier M,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We're extremely grateful to you for giving us the opportunity to be your host for your stay in this beautiful historical city of Melaka. There's so much to see, do and eat in Melaka and that's why we're certain you will be back again in the near future. In the meantime, do let us know in advance for your next stay with us so that we can prepare your room to your liking.

Thanks again and have a pleasant week ahead.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

What a wonderful surprise this was! The hotel is built around a beautiful antique collection the owner Billy has. Everywhere you look it is so peaceful and beautiful. The staff, though, is the wonderful prize that this hotel offers. The manager Lim Khoon Sing and Arm bent over backwards to help us and show us around. When I asked about a recipe for something that was in the market, the chef came out to give us its history and tell us how to make it. The food was great (though slightly expensive) and the breakfast spread was large and delicious. They also had a good area to enjoy a glass of wine or beer at the end of the day. (or whenever you wanted it!)The shuttle service into town was fine; we enjoyed retreating to the hotel after spending the day in town since the hotel is quiet and peaceful and really not too far from the town. We stayed in the main hotel for our first night, which was very clean and comfortable. However, Billy gave us an upgrade to the chalet, which was utterly fabulous!! The gorgeous wooden chalet also was very clean and comfortable, but the bed was king size. The room was awe-inspiring!! The pool at the hotel is small but certainly adequate for cooling off and having a little swim. Again, it was very well maintained. We had an extra morning that we didn't want to take in town and the chef recommended that we walk up to the Portuguese section by the water--a nice walk and interesting. Overall, I would recommend the hotel to anyone. (They also had a small auditorium suitable for business meetings.)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Settlement_Hotel, General Manager at The Settlement Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear ccbarb1,

Thanks for your review of your recent stay with us.

We sincerely thank you for choosing the Settlement Hotel Melaka as your sleep choice and are blushing in delight with your compliments. We're happy that you enjoyed your stay and hospitality here and we will convey your happy thoughts to our beloved staff so that it makes their day as well.

We're already looking forward to your next visit and please do not hesitate to contact us for anything you may need while in Melaka again.
Derbyshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

This small hotel is exquisite. We were so well looked after from start to finish. We decided to take a Deluxe Room which was beautifully decorated, contained a safe, tea making facilities, complimentary water, free wifi and a complimentary notebook and pen (of very good quality!). Also included were bathrobes and slippers, complimentary stocked minibar and an iron and ironing board.The hotel has only been open since December consequently the room rates were at an introductory level which was exceptionally low for the standard of room. Next time I would love to stay in one of the 4 private Malay style villas which we were given a tour of. Mr Lim took great care of us and is obviously so very proud of the lovely hotel he works in. The area of the hotel is not very far from the World Heritage site and the hotel operate a free bus to the tourist spots. The hotel is in a very busy street but does have a roof terrace where you can sit and have a drink and watch the world around you, including a view to the sea. The Hotel owner has chosen some really lovely pieces of traditional furniture to decorate the hotel which are really special

Room Tip: All the rooms are delightful though none have a good view as the hotel is situated in a busy area...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CountryLover51,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us.

Many thanks for the kind words and your compliments will indeed go a long way to boost the morale of our cherished employees who are very humbled to be a part of the great hospitality experience you enjoyed here. Our Villas await you with bated breath and we look forward to the next memorable encounter with your good self.

Thanks again and have a nice day.

Been to The Settlement Hotel? Share your experiences!